Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM

859 posts, read 701,352 times

Advertisements

arthursclipart.org
Hello everybody !

how are u !

Please, do you know the period of incubation for duck eggs?

And whether or not there is a difference between different types of ducks?

Is it clear?

Thank u

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,803,490 times
theres lots of differences between ducks

lets see
most domestic and wild ducks incubate for about 28 days...muscovy however typically go 35-37 days.

all domestic ducks other than the muscovy are decended form the wild mallard duck, so there will be alot of similarities betwen breeds...

in terms of commonly kept domestic ducks:
theres the "large breeds"
pekin: large white duck (the one on the aflac commrcial) commonly used for meat, they are big, there white and they tend to be kinda crazy (ive known many a pekin drown during mating and there silly enough to stand there and watch while a fox raids...
Rouen: these guys look alot like a wild mallard duck, another "meat" breed, from what im told these guys tend to be quite calm.
Khaki campbel: thes guys are the roles royce of egg laying ducks one of the top 2 egg laying breeds and tend to be quite calm and frinedly

small and mediums:
Mallard: yup jus tlike the wild ducks, can be nervous and can fly quite well, so so for eggs but good meat ducks.
Cayuga (its said daffy duck was probably based of a cayuga) is a solid black duck with a gorgeous bottle green shimmer, origionally bred for meat they tend to be docile and quiet
Welsh harlequins: these guys look like a diluted mallard, ive never known one personally but im told there good egg layers nice meat ducks and tend ot be nice perosnalities.
Buff: again a good "middle ground" bird, wont get many eggs but youll get some and a duck big enough for meat, these guys also tend to be quite calm and docile.
Sweedish: (black or blue with a white bib) tend to be another good middle ground duck for meat and eggs my experience has been a little more skittish than other breeds but there pretty and most who have them lvoe them
"golden layers": they come in white and a buff color, there a HYBRID named because they average 300 eggs a year, they were created for the sole purpose of laying, i dont knwo what their perosnalities are like...
indian runners: come in lots of colors, another roles royce of egg layers averaging anything from 150-300 eggs a year, these guys look "funny" compared to other ducks as thye have a very errect upright stance so they look a little like bowling pins, and they can be quite skittish, but they dont NEED water and they cant fly at all lol. (i plan to have some of these soon.)

then theres the call ducks: tiny little ducks that come in all kinds of colors who are absolutly adorable and thier sole purpose of creation was for use by duck hunters as living decyoys, the Call ducks would be brought along and encouraged to "call" their calls making other ducks think its safe ect.

then theres the muscovy, there not related whatsoever to the mallard and they are amazing meaty ducks they also tend to have aweosme personalities and love to eat mosquitoes...
this is just a small number of the domestic breeds.

then theres rare/wild breeds of duck form the wood to the mandrin to the common mallard ect.

there all related but each duck has a slightly different personality and theres a color or pattern for everyone.

ducks are however very messy anddont realy make good "pets" some people keep house ducks, but they have to wear a diaped as ducks are incontinent, and ducks relay do need the company of other ducks.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:01 AM

859 posts, read 701,352 times
Thank you very much Foxywench for all this generous info
from your post I became more sure that our duck eggs will not see the light !

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,059,480 times
Geese can be better security than dogs since they are quite territorial. As far as the ducks go a local bookstore or farm supply should have good information regarding how all that goes.

I myself am looking forward to learning how to care for chickens when spring gets here. We are going to have about 6 chickens which is enough for us and our landlord to have enough fresh eggs for 4 each week.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,803,490 times
CSD, join backyardchickens.com...lots of good info there for people keeping back yard poultry
authentic bird, there is also a Duck subforum there thats good.

ducks are on my "next to add" list...planning on ordering my ducklings soon and VERY exctied. khaki campbells and black runners

chickens wont be comming untill probably fall, too much other stuff to get doen o my little farm to be building a chicken coop right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature