Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,072,302 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right forum for this question....I couldn't seem to locate another one which seemed to fit my question about birds.

I have this female cardinal bird which continually hits the glass in the patio door. Over and over again and won't go away. She did it last year too.

I have put strips of tape on the window, used a aluminum pie pan hanging down the window on a string, used paper streamers hanging down, found a picture of a huge owl and put in on the window, put a sheet over the window from the inside...nothing helped. She also sits on the top of our deck chair and stares at the glass for hours and doo doos on my chair.

Any more suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 06:54 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,831,899 times
I have these, they have helped cut down on the number of birds hitting our windows:
Window Decals, Bird Feeders, Bird Bath And Bird Houses At Windowalert

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,342,280 times
I don't think decals will help with this. They are for birds that fly into the window because they don't see it. It sounds like your birds are seeing their own reflection and trying to ward off the intruder into their nesting territory. Maybe an awning over the window would block the sun and keep it from reflecting? Or letting the window get dirtier, or maybe using soap flakes to make a frosted design (I know I've seen instructions for this online. It's a Christmas tye of thing) I'd keep experimenting with different things and checking to see if I could still see my own reflection.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
Tape a piece of aluminum foil to the inside of the window it will reflect the light and the birds will stay away from it . It sounds crazy but it does work and also can use a plain piece of computer paper . remember to tape it to the inside of the window not on the outside !!! I hope I have helped im sorry you are having the problem . I hope it stops soon .

Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM

691 posts, read 2,150,520 times
Cut out the shape of an eared owl and stick it on the window.

Cardinals and Pyrrhuloxias are notorious for attacking reflections of themselves. They can go crazy with the rear view mirror of a parked car.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,907,878 times
Falconer.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:01 AM

37,734 posts, read 40,776,995 times
I've been noticing a brown thrasher that goes after the cardinals (and the blue jays) so maybe a little brown thrasher something. Besides itself, what does the bird see reflected in the glass?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,227,724 times
Preventing Window Strikes

The name of the website, sialis, is the proper name for a bluebird. It has 50 million ideas to stop birds from running into windows. I liked the one about tacking small-spaced netting or screening outside the window.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM

691 posts, read 2,150,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
. Besides itself, what does the bird see reflected in the glass?
The bird doesn't know it is seeing itself, and thinks it is seeing a territorial rival of the same species as itself. An extremely tenacious and increasingly aggressive one.

Make a tape recording of a bird song or call, and then replay it. The bird will come very close to investigate, again thinking there is a territorial rival, because they can't recognize their own voice being played back by a technology beyond their comprehension. Bird watchers use this trick all the time. If you're looking for the mangrove cuckoo, for example, which is extremely difficult to find, just play a recording of a mangrove cuckoo song, and if there is one within earshot, it will very boldly fly into view and display itself, hoping to scare away the territorial rival. This is practically the only way to ever see the elusive black rail. If you put a repeating black rail call on a tape recorder and set it out to play in an open space, the bird will run right out and peck at the tape recorder.

Nearly all species of male birds, in breeding season, will stake out their territory, and try to intimidate any intruders of their own species.

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-22-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,966,022 times
Just wave the white flag and beg for mercy!

We went through this with a robin a month or two back. We have a plastic owl that we sat in front of the window – that did not work. We tried dangling, moving, aluminum pans – that did not work. We tried a rubber snake on the window sill – that also did not work. My wife made a scarecrow – that also failed. Then we tried combinations such as the owl sitting on the shoulder of the scarecrow – they also did not work.

We finally gave up – we are not as smart as the average bird brain! Fortunately for us; he decided that he effectively drove us nuts and could then move on the brighten the days of another unprepared human. We were in shock that it was over – we are still waiting for the cardinal to take up where the robin left off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature