Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

When I lived in NY (Long Island) on a golf course in one level apartments, every August I used to go nuts with the crickets that got in. Seriously, I used to chase them around with a can of bug spray but the little ones (the noisy ones) are so darn fast I used to think I'd die before they did. Once I found one in the bathroom that you could put a saddle on it. Luckily, the bigger they are, the slower they are. When I moved, I resolved the problem by always living on an upper level floor.

I don't have a problem with crickets outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
When I first moved into this condo a year ago, a baby black snake found it's way onto the lanai. I saw my two cats happily hopping up and down on it. I pushed the snake back outside and got busy trying to determine how it got in. The next day, I saw a BIG black snake slithering around the lanai making its way into the shrubbery. I posted on CD and was told it was most likely a black racer that is harmless and common around housing. Apparently the big one was mama and she had given birth underneath the building. The bottom of the lanai screen door had a gap so I put tape across the area and didn't get anymore baby snakes. Yesterday I saw the little Calico intently watching the bottom of a chair in the living room and found a lizard that I put back outside. I think I need to check all the nooks and crannies and my tape fix on the lanai and hopefully keep everything out. I sure don't want a lizard to get past the cats and end up in a closet!
Black Racers are good snakes, Dallas. We have a little range of "hills" here, The Blue Hills, that was loaded with rattlesnakes and officials imported Black Racers to contain the rattlesnake poulation. There's still rattlers up there but not like before.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
we have flies and bluebottles. with the occassional harmless spider.. thank goodness I live in Glasgow..after reading some of these stories..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Y'all are cracking me up and creepin me out. Linc, 5 times bit by recluses??? Omg you're lucky to be alive. My sister lived her last yrs in pain and hades cause of her bite. Skin rotted black, vein reconstruction, Huge holes popped up in several places, and the most severe pain I've ever seen. She passed from a heart attack, but I blame the bite.

I laughed that you called your lawyer, like you were gonna sue the snake.

I'd pay money to see a video of the possum on the broom handle!

We have so many spiders I'm scared to sleep. Little brown junebugs that fly in and hit ya in the head. We get a ladybug invasion once a year, why they want in the house I cant explain. And if I see a snake, I'm moving!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Y'all are cracking me up and creepin me out. Linc, 5 times bit by recluses??? Omg you're lucky to be alive. My sister lived her last yrs in pain and hades cause of her bite. Skin rotted black, vein reconstruction, Huge holes popped up in several places, and the most severe pain I've ever seen. She passed from a heart attack, but I blame the bite.

I laughed that you called your lawyer, like you were gonna sue the snake.

I'd pay money to see a video of the possum on the broom handle!

We have so many spiders I'm scared to sleep. Little brown junebugs that fly in and hit ya in the head. We get a ladybug invasion once a year, why they want in the house I cant explain. And if I see a snake, I'm moving!
We have big, brown June bugs. Not as big, I would imagine as in Texas, etc. though. IF they have June bugs. Lady bugs, they are just about the only insect I will not stomp, smash on. Excepting the Daddy Long Legs.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Of course the usual ones like spiders (some big, hairy spiders too, as big as 15cm/6 inches across), ants, beetles, moths, cockroaches, earwigs.etc.

One house I used to live in used to literally get invaded by THOUSANDS of centipedes during the winter. I was told the town was in the middle of their migratory path. You'd literally see them cover the walls, and it was impossible to step on the ground without squishing them! I'd take a broom and sweep them out the door but minutes later they'd be back as numerous as ever!

I also saw a scorpion - albeit a smaller one - in the bathtub of that house!

Sometimes birds fly into the house if you leave the door open. I've seen several species of lizards, skinks, geckos.etc. In the garden I've seen legless lizards before. Of course we used to have mice now and again too.
We keep pretty good control over the creatures but we do see centipedes once in awhile and we had a very tiny black snake in our guest room last summer. No, he wasn't an invited guest and luckily we didn't have any invited guests at the time. On our screened in porch a few summers ago we found a dead baby copperhead. The worst part, all I could think was: if there is a baby there is a mommy and daddy somewhere around...

Old 07-08-2012, 06:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
I used to get these in my house pretty often when I lived in California. You can't tell from the picture, but they were usually a couple inches long. They are diggers, so I'd hear them trying to dig through the carpet, or rustling a plastic bag. Once I captured one and took it to school to show my second graders. The next morning the thick plastic container had a hole in a bottom corner and the creature was missing. I had some nervous children in class that day.

Oops.

Google Image Result for http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/selhome/gbu/stenopelmatus_cas.jpg

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I used to get these in my house pretty often when I lived in California. You can't tell from the picture, but they were usually a couple inches long. They are diggers, so I'd hear them trying to dig through the carpet, or rustling a plastic bag. Once I captured one and took it to school to show my second graders. The next morning the thick plastic container had a hole in a bottom corner and the creature was missing. I had some nervous children in class that day.

Oops.

Google Image Result for http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/selhome/gbu/stenopelmatus_cas.jpg
WTH is that? Some kind of ant? Right through plastic, huhn? Nice pair of pincers at the end of it too. Yuck.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:06 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I used to get these in my house pretty often when I lived in California.
Thanks for posting the link. We used to get them in CA and I never knew what they were. (Other then being tremendously ugly and having a knack for showing up when you least expect a big, ugly bug.)

Where I live now, inside the house it's mostly ants. Maybe the occasional scorpion but only if the cat doesn't see them first. Lots of creepie crawlies outside but as long as they stay where nature intended it's live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature