Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM

734 posts, read 1,629,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Fleas are easy. Treat the yard and house while the pet is at the Vet being treated. Thereafter make sure your dog has the Heartworm/Flea prevention pill every month. Heartworm should be given to dog every month all year. Fleas die in cold weather in the northern states. Fleas do not die out in southern states because the ground does not get cold enough or stay cold long enough to kill them. Heartworm is a horrible death.
Fleas may be simple to you and me but the vast majority of people have no idea. I have to give the talk every day at work. Bomb your house- make sure you know the area footage so you have the correct amount of bombs. Treat the pet with Frontline or Advantage. Give CapStar to the pet. Treat the yard. All at the same time. Capstar is safe and can be used in conjunction with other flea products. At all costs, avoid Hartz or Bio-Spot products. Google how those products are killing pets.
Watch for any reaction to flea preventatives. If you see the pet trying to jump out of it's own skin, salivating, or trembling, wash the flea product off ASAP and get to your vet! They enter the nervous system and can cause seizures, paralysis and even death.
CapStar will kill every flea on the pet within 24 hours, usually more like 4 hours. A flea bath is good but fleas are tenacious and can go into any body orifice and hide so you may miss some.
One last thing- after all is said and done and the fleas are gone, treat your pet for tape worm. Fleas carry tape worm eggs and the pet, while chewing itself or cleaning itself will ingest some fleas. While going through the system, the tape worm will set up camp in the intestinal tract.
Even in the Northern states, with cold winters, fleas do not always die but can lay dormant for up to a year or more in crevices in your floor boards and carpets, under base board heaters, etc. They spend only 10% of their time on the host animal. The rest is spent breeding in your house and yard. You can treat your pet with flea preventatives but as long as there is a source of fleas they will still be tormented.
So see? Fleas are NOT simple!
and as far as heart worm goes, that is carried by the mosquito and yes, preventative is very important. Also making sure that no stagnant water is around. Mosquitos also carry West Nile virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM

148 posts, read 423,355 times
Speaking of critters....

I'm relocating to northeast Florida next week. My new landlord is having the yard treated for bugs every so often and she has advised me to get an indoor bug guy. She has recommended Terminex.

She mentioned spiders and scorpions. I guess I have to ask this although I am quite afraid of the answer.

What exactly am I up against?

My pooch will be treated with the new tripple protection medicine that kills fleas, kills worms, and prevents heart worm. He's going to the Vet tomorrow and the groomers the next day. Less hair has to be better in terms of attraction to pests.

Anyway thanks in advance.

T

Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
Terminex is horribly expensive. Termites is what they do best. Your phonebook yellow pages should have an entry for Exterminators or Pest Exterminators. Have him spray for all the bugs before you move in. You need to be away from the house with no windows open, no fans running and no a/c on for at minimum of 6 hours. Then air out the house.

Fleas are easy to spot. They are the little black jumpers that hop on white socks. Easy to see, impossible to catch.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 AM

Linitz

She is having the house sprayed on the 25 and we move in on the 28th I think il be ok.
But what types of bugs hangout inside homes and on the lawns in NE FLORIDA?
What kinds of critters?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
Rattlesnakes love to sun and sleep on warm concrete. So do scorpions. Snapping turtles - can bite your finger off as easy as it can break a small tree limb. I will guess that wasps, bees, fire ants and black ants (ant love sugar), roaches and water bugs also called the Palmetto bug, flies, and bed bugs.

Peony flower bulbs do not open without ants. Hopefully Florida has bats. Built a bat house in your hard and you will have a bug free yard. Bats are nature's vacuum cleaner. You will not hear them and they do not bother people.

Do not have water standing in your yard or near your house. It breeds mosquitoes. Don't stack wood next to your house. It is a safe haven for spiders and snakes. Ditto for climbing ivy on your house.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 AM

Default Florida Lizzards & Frogs

While shopping for my home in Florida we found that very small gecko Lizzards would hang on the bushes and Trees in the front yard. Also, green frogs or toads would be in the front yard as well. I'm sure these new friends will be chewing on all the bugs inthe yard. Geckos yes Frogs Yes. Bugs. NO!

Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM

115 posts, read 254,726 times
Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Chiggers do NOT burrow into/under your skin. Their bite does itch, but they are already gone, so covering with nail polish to smother them is useless.

Benadryl is NOT Zyrtec. They are 2 different antihistamines.

Peonies do NOT need ants in order to open.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,274,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander52 View Post

Chiggers do NOT burrow into/under your skin. Their bite does itch, but they are already gone, so covering with nail polish to smother them is useless.

Hard to say about the peonies and ants but they definitely have something going on with one another.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Heartland Peony Society

HPS Frequently Asked Questions

Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM

734 posts, read 1,629,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander52 View Post

Correct! Chiggers do NOT burrow. When they bite they leave a piece of their mouth in your skin. Impossible to remove and the itch or allergic reaction is your body working to disolve this foreign item that is stuck in you! That's why the intense, mind blowing, insanity producing itch can last for weeks! Not to mention, it is not unusual for the scratching to cause a secondary skin infection. ugh!!!!!!
By the time the itch hits you, it is too late. Chances are the chigger has let go and is gone. Prevention is the only thing that works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature