Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,375,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Just a passing thought, but have to wonder how a Boerboel fares in the often freezing wet conditions of the Alaskan bush. As a short haired dog more at home in warm temperate climates can these big very tough dogs adapt well to a much harsher environment?
During the winter he goes outside to do his business and comes back inside the warm house when he gets cold. He likes playing in the snow. At -20F he does not spend more than 10 to 15 minutes outside. I keep an eye on him to make sure his nose and ears do not get frostbite when we are outside together. They will be the first to freeze. If he is going to stay outside for a longer duration, like when we are hunting together, he has a neoprene vest and dog-booties that he wears to stay warm.

The summers are very pleasant, and he is quite comfortable, except for the mosquitoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,485,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
ordinarily, something like this wouldn't be an appropriate subject for the political boards, but this incident raises a question which we ought to consider: At what point does supporting endangered species become a danger to human beings and what should we do about it?

This story reminds me of an article i read a few month ago about how grizzlies are becoming so numerous that they're reclaiming their natural habitat...the plains. I always thought grizzlies were mountain animals, but apparently that isn't so. For some reason in the past, they were pushed into the mountains, but are now coming back.

Of course, the problem is that there are people on the plains. This story, for instance, occurred around great falls, mt which is a good ways from the rockies. In previous incidents, tagged bears have been found 150 miles out onto the plains and, in one instance, a grizzlie was located within 100 yards of a school full of children.

Are we willing to risk our children to preserve grizzly bears?

warning: If you can't stand the sight of dead sheep, don't click on this link.

serial slaughter: Bear kills 70 sheep in montana (warning: Graphic photographs) | fox news
kill the bear and don't look back ! ! !

Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,218,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
kill the bear and don't look back ! ! !
Sometimes a new one will just take over the territory, and then the problems remains but a bear was killed. Hopefully in this case relocation will be a win/win for everyone and the farmer will take some precautions, if he doesn't already, because keeping sheep out in the open unwatched is like a full service carnivore buffet.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,485,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Sometimes a new one will just take over the territory, and then the problems remains but a bear was killed. Hopefully in this case relocation will be a win/win for everyone and the farmer will take some precautions, if he doesn't already, because keeping sheep out in the open unwatched is like a full service carnivore buffet.
There are to many bears so it is time to kill off a large portation
of the bears, and use controled killings of the ones left over.

Let the public do the controling and killing and there will
be very few problems with bears ! ! !

Old 07-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
There are to many bears so it is time to kill off a large portation
of the bears, and use controled killings of the ones left over.

Let the public do the controling and killing and there will
be very few problems with bears ! ! !
There are more bears in Alaska than people. Besides, I like bears - from a respectable distance. They are intelligent, and very curious critters, with a great sense of humor. I would prefer not to create a situation where I am forced to kill one, if at all possible. Alaska would not be the same place without bears.

Most of the problems with bears are caused by people not paying attention to their surroundings. There is no point in punishing the bear for the stupidity of others.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,209,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ordinarily, something like this wouldn't be an appropriate subject for the political boards, but this incident raises a question which we ought to consider: At what point does supporting endangered species become a danger to human beings and what should we do about it?

This story reminds me of an article I read a few month ago about how Grizzlies are becoming so numerous that they're reclaiming their natural habitat...the plains. I always thought Grizzlies were mountain animals, but apparently that isn't so. For some reason in the past, they were pushed into the mountains, but are now coming back.

Of course, the problem is that there are people on the plains. This story, for instance, occurred around Great Falls, MT which is a good ways from the Rockies. In previous incidents, tagged bears have been found 150 miles out onto the plains and, in one instance, a Grizzlie was located within 100 yards of a school full of children.

Are we willing to risk our children to preserve Grizzly bears?

WARNING: If you can't stand the sight of dead sheep, don't click on this link.

Serial slaughter: Bear kills 70 sheep in Montana (Warning: graphic photographs) | Fox News
And people are waiting to figure out what to do? Ready....aim.....fire.....repeat.....all that nostalgic bs is just that. If the plains were still occupied by folks in teepee's I would see the naturalist's point(s).

However, we don't live in that era....do we?

Now, the plains are loaded with consuming consumers and the bears didn't get the memo. Bad news for the bears. If I lived there, I'd drop them like a bad habit, so to speak, and I wouldn't need a law or permit to do it. Just be discreet and let the coyotes do the cleanup. Buh bye yogi.

It shouldn't even be a debate. No worry of them becoming extinct as most folks can't shoot straight anyway.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,862,601 times
It's always humans encroaching on the habitat of other animal's. So as always, the animal has to go.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's always humans encroaching on the habitat of other animal's. So as always, the animal has to go.
That is not how we do things in Alaska. Whenever we have a problem with the wildlife, we relocate the tourist causing the problem.

We do not close down trails when there has been a bear mauling. We just announce it via radio, TV, and posting the trail with up to date warnings. It is up to the hiker to be aware of their environment, and those who are aware have no problems. Those that are jogging or riding their bicycles are not aware of their surroundings, and they are typically the next victim of a bear mauling.

If one is approaching a bear and you are down wind from him, it is very possible that you may surprise the bear. They have very bad eye sight, and if they do not hear you coming they will not notice you until you have already invaded their space. Bears do not like to be surprised. They tend to act very defensively, and aggressively, when surprised.

If you notice the bear before it notices you, back away slowly without making any noise until you are well out of eyesight, and then talk to the bear to let it know you are coming their way. If they know a human is coming, and not prey, they will prefer to be elsewhere. However, do not approach if the bear turns sideways. They are showing you their size, as a means of intimidation. Back away slowly while talking calmly to the bear. Once they no longer consider you a threat, and you are far enough away for their comfort, they will continue what they were doing before the encounter.

If you stay calm and collected during a bear encounter, it will only help the situation. Like most critters, bears can sense when you are afraid or nervous.

Last edited by Glitch; 07-04-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 AM

7,292 posts, read 6,879,055 times
I realize that many city folk are ignorant concerning life in general,and more spicificly wild life .
Any and all preditors depend on movement ,it is what excites their instinct to feed.
Most any bear can run at about 35 miles per hour. How fast can you run ?
Lions and K9 s can out pace that ,it is their nature to chase thing that run . Watch a domestic house cat that is a good mouser.
Poor eyesight is easily compensated for in movement and the direction of travel, be it a bear or cat or K9 they don't distinguish between man and beast if there is movement ,especially if it is running away, all the more reason to chase it down.
Sheep herd and depend on one another, introducing a preditor attacking; a few will attempt to run away, but not actually leave the herd, thus run in circles , but in the running excites the preditor all the more.
Caraboo and deer suffer the same attacks especially in heavy snow .
What is not normal with this situation is that the sow did not bury remains nor did she hang around to continue feeding ,especially seeing that she was under nurished . She did not learn from her mother to do this.
I can only think this rampage is a result of training she got from her mother, in which case the cub would pick up the same trait.
I would be willing to bet, that the sow will return ,or at least continue the same habbit as before, and so will the cub.
If this is not corrected, the nature will be ingrained in future generations and you can expect more insidents in the future.
Just as bears learn that an ice chest has food in it , and will tear a car apart to get to it ,this fact of LEARNING cannot be over looked .
I have no problem prserving a species , however ,this training she has is now ingrained, in her self and her young ,is not a favorable trait to continue preserving.
IMO

Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I realize that many city folk are ignorant concerning life in general,and more spicificly wild life .
Any and all preditors depend on movement ,it is what excites their instinct to feed.
Most any bear can run at about 35 miles per hour. How fast can you run ?
Lions and K9 s can out pace that ,it is their nature to chase thing that run . Watch a domestic house cat that is a good mouser.
Poor eyesight is easily compensated for in movement and the direction of travel, be it a bear or cat or K9 they don't distinguish between man and beast if there is movement ,especially if it is running away, all the more reason to chase it down.
Sheep herd and depend on one another, introducing a preditor attacking; a few will attempt to run away, but not actually leave the herd, thus run in circles , but in the running excites the preditor all the more.
Caraboo and deer suffer the same attacks especially in heavy snow .
What is not normal with this situation is that the sow did not bury remains nor did she hang around to continue feeding ,especially seeing that she was under nurished . She did not learn from her mother to do this.
I can only think this rampage is a result of training she got from her mother, in which case the cub would pick up the same trait.
I would be willing to bet, that the sow will return ,or at least continue the same habbit as before, and so will the cub.
If this is not corrected, the nature will be ingrained in future generations and you can expect more insidents in the future.
Just as bears learn that an ice chest has food in it , and will tear a car apart to get to it ,this fact of LEARNING cannot be over looked .
I have no problem prserving a species , however ,this training she has is now ingrained, in her self and her young ,is not a favorable trait to continue preserving.
IMO
I do not know if it had anything to do with training, but I suspect she had never encountered this situation before. There are no big herds of wildlife in the lower-49 any longer. Encountering a large herd of sheep may have triggered her instinct to kill anything that ran away from her, as you suggested. Causing her to kill repeatedly without stopping to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature