Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,450,172 times

Advertisements

Ordinarily, something like this wouldn't be an appropriate subject for the political boards, but this incident raises a question which we ought to consider: At what point does supporting endangered species become a danger to human beings and what should we do about it?

This story reminds me of an article I read a few month ago about how Grizzlies are becoming so numerous that they're reclaiming their natural habitat...the plains. I always thought Grizzlies were mountain animals, but apparently that isn't so. For some reason in the past, they were pushed into the mountains, but are now coming back.

Of course, the problem is that there are people on the plains. This story, for instance, occurred around Great Falls, MT which is a good ways from the Rockies. In previous incidents, tagged bears have been found 150 miles out onto the plains and, in one instance, a Grizzlie was located within 100 yards of a school full of children.

Are we willing to risk our children to preserve Grizzly bears?

WARNING: If you can't stand the sight of dead sheep, don't click on this link.

Serial slaughter: Bear kills 70 sheep in Montana (Warning: graphic photographs) | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:24 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,466,286 times
The days of the grizzles being endanged in the lower 48 are over. The hunting ban on them there should end.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,925,717 times
The governor of Wyoming is in the process of requesting the Feds lift the hinting ban in that state. The number of grizzly bear attacks on humans is rising. They have been protected so long that they are losing their natural fear of man. Well regulated hunting practices will control the population as well as restore a sense of fear within the grizzlies, making it safer for hikers and ranchers in isolated areas.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:43 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,466,286 times

Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 AM

Oh, that's good!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,763,590 times
If the bear takes one sheep as needed - that is fine- If the bear is kind of nuts and kills for sport wasting sheep- the bear has to go.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If the bear takes one sheep as needed - that is fine- If the bear is kind of nuts and kills for sport wasting sheep- the bear has to go.
I wonder what would have been the reaction if that bear had gone on a hunting frenzy and killed 70 people?

Old 06-30-2012, 07:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,342,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ordinarily, something like this wouldn't be an appropriate subject for the political boards, but this incident raises a question which we ought to consider: At what point does supporting endangered species become a danger to human beings and what should we do about it?

This story reminds me of an article I read a few month ago about how Grizzlies are becoming so numerous that they're reclaiming their natural habitat...the plains. I always thought Grizzlies were mountain animals, but apparently that isn't so. For some reason in the past, they were pushed into the mountains, but are now coming back.
Correct, grizzlies are not mountain animals, unless they have no choice. However, they do den in the mountains. Similar to polar bears, who spend their life on the open ice, but will come on shore to den in the mountains. Grizzlies can be found all over the place in Alaska, not just in the mountains. If grizzlies live within 50 miles of the coast and dine primarily on salmon, they are called brown bears. They are the same species, but brown bears are much bigger due to their diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Of course, the problem is that there are people on the plains. This story, for instance, occurred around Great Falls, MT which is a good ways from the Rockies. In previous incidents, tagged bears have been found 150 miles out onto the plains and, in one instance, a Grizzlie was located within 100 yards of a school full of children.

Are we willing to risk our children to preserve Grizzly bears?

WARNING: If you can't stand the sight of dead sheep, don't click on this link.

Serial slaughter: Bear kills 70 sheep in Montana (Warning: graphic photographs) | Fox News
Anchorage has grizzlies living within its city limits. Around 50 grizzlies, about 400 black bears, and 1,200 moose live within Anchorage according to the Alaska Department of Fish & Game. Spring is typically marked with a mauling by a grizzly in Anchorage. We recently (June 14, 2012) had a black bear inside one of Anchorage's high schools.

Police chase scavenging black bear out of Bartlett High: Bears in Alaska | Alaska news at adn.com

In this case neither the children nor the bear was harmed. Police chased the bear from the property. Yet there are other similar situations were the bear was shot rather than put children at risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The governor of Wyoming is in the process of requesting the Feds lift the hinting ban in that state. The number of grizzly bear attacks on humans is rising. They have been protected so long that they are losing their natural fear of man. Well regulated hunting practices will control the population as well as restore a sense of fear within the grizzlies, making it safer for hikers and ranchers in isolated areas.
Grizzlies do not have a "natural fear" of anything. The hikers and campers who get themselves mauled by grizzlies or brown bears in Alaska is a direct result of their stupidity. They either do not know how to camp in bear country, or they are not paying attention to their surroundings. We also do not close trails if their has been a mauling, we just make people more aware. In Alaska, when we have a problem with the wildlife, we relocate the tourist causing the problem.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:11 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,505,929 times
There is a reason man used Livestock Guardian dogs in the past. You dont see them much any more here in the states.

Just a bear being a bear.

Some of the biggest grizzly bears ever recorded in history were right here in the Central Valley of California over 100 years ago.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,342,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
There is a reason man used Livestock Guardian dogs in the past. You dont see them much any more here in the states.

Just a bear being a bear.

Some of the biggest grizzly bears ever recorded in history were right here in the Central Valley of California over 100 years ago.
I always take my dogs with me (along with my Mossberg 500), for that very reason - protection. My eye-sight is better than theirs, but their hearing and sense of smell is far better than mine. By paying attention to my dogs, I can get a better understanding of what is around me than I would just by myself.

Whenever my mastiff perceives a possible threat, he places himself between me and the perceived threat and silently watches. He will not attack the bear, but he will keep it distracted long enough to bring my Mossberg 500 to bare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature