Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 AM

18,457 posts, read 18,606,216 times

Advertisements

oh Ill have to stop looking on this thread, I feel sick.. theres a house quite near me where the man owns 18 snakes... I dread to think what could happen if they escaped..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,800,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh Ill have to stop looking on this thread, I feel sick.. theres a house quite near me where the man owns 18 snakes... I dread to think what could happen if they escaped..
Umm, the local rodent population would decrease? Unless he's keeping venomous snakes, you'd probably have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,856,148 times
I've never seen a snake in a tree here, but we have numerous garter snakes, and occasionally ring-necked snakes. We see a garter snake in one of my gardens every time we go out there to weed or water. My family loves looking at them. In my excitement one day, I called out to the neighbor and her kids, and asked her if they wanted to come over and see our garter snake we'd just spotted. She got wide-eyed, shook her head no, and quickly shooed the children in the house. I guess not everyone shares our enthusiasm. LOL.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM

18,385 posts, read 31,499,727 times
OMG what was I thinking reading this thread.

I am so glad I live here in Brooklyn NY, I may never ever move out of this city.

eek !!!!

double eek !!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:32 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,745,284 times
Giz, don't they need to move around? Not exercise exactly but just drape over limbs or have a "view"...? Or many you take them out of the stacks for recreation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Awww. She really is a loving little snake, and one of the few who "hangs out" with me regularly. She'll sometimes curl up in/near my lap, and stay there for hours if I let her!!

Oh, but in that photo she was actually looking hungrily at me... I had a dead mouse in the other hand.

I believe there are HUNDREDS of python species, and they're more varied than any other family of snakes. Not only do their colors & patterns vary greatly, but you also have a size range of about 4ft (i.e. Children's and Spotted Pythons) up to 18+ feet (Burmese). Plus they're found naturally on 4 continents - Africa, South America, Asia, and Australia. Unfortunately none are native to North America or Europe, so all pythons here were at one time imported.

My snakes are all under 6ft, mostly in the 4-5ft range, and live in what are called rack systems... which is basically like a bookshelf, with heat strips on every shelf and a separate tub for each snake. I have a total of 4 racks, 3 of which are in my bedroom and the other in the laundry room. You'd be surprised how little space they need, especially when they're in a professional rack.

Here's the setup in my old house, when they ALL lived in the bedroom:

These are two popular rack manufacturers... two of mine are pre-made, and the others were made by a handy friend of mine.
Animal Plastics
Plastic Reptile Cages, Tanks and Racks. Snake, arboreal, lizard and turtle light weight custom flexwatt heated enclosures.

I will! Check the general pets sub-forum, since that's where I've posted about previous clutches... I'll start a new thread when they're laid, and update when they hatch etc. Just checked on "big momma" (Mona) today, and she was all twisted up like a pretzel. That's a GREAT sign, since it indicates she's pushing the eggs down in preparation - meaning, they should be laid in the next 7-10 days as expected.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM

577 posts, read 989,554 times
They don't seem to have much room in those tubs to move around. Although I'm guessing most snakes travel about largely to hunt...and if they know they will get a tasty mouse/rat every day or so, no need for that.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,745,284 times
The snake-in-tree at my place is keeping cool in the tree by day...at times I see his tail, but mostly he pokes his head out, looks around...stays that way for awhile. Haven't seen him enough to confirm but I think it is a ringneck snake.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 AM

16,899 posts, read 16,044,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
The snake-in-tree at my place is keeping cool in the tree by day...at times I see his tail, but mostly he pokes his head out, looks around...stays that way for awhile. Haven't seen him enough to confirm but I think it is a ringneck snake.

I don't know what area you live in but I can tell you that it is definitely not a Ringneck snake.
Depending on your locale, my bet is a Corn snake....a snake from the Rat snake family.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,260,046 times
Can you see it?

It's a black rat snake. I didn't know until I took this picture that it had black spots on its underside. Usually I just see the top.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,121,908 times
Nice pic, the bottom one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature