Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Just noticed a movement from a carved-out hole in a nearby tree. The tail of a snake was hanging out...cannot tell what snake it is...finding a cooler spot for daytime so he can come out at night to prowl... Since it is TOO hot here today for me to even go outside, I will keep an eye on him from my window.

Yrs ago I heard LOUD squawks from a bluejay...went out to see... a large black rat snake was climbing up the tree, attempting to get in a nest...Now I know they must eat too, but NOT the eggs/baby birds! So I swiped at him with a broom but it was the birds that kept at him and he finally backed down.

Another yr, I headed to the mailbox, walked under a tree, and a snake fell on my shoulder......luckily it was only a green snake but still, what a surprise. I avoided that tree ever after...

You have any snakes-in-trees stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Thankfully, NO!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:02 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
Sure. Snakes are often in the palms around me. And under the houses and in swells, etc., etc.
Only time you see 'em is when it rains heavy or you go mucking in their turf.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,683,581 times
We had some friends who went boating on the Savannah River. A water moccasin fell into the boat from an overhanging tree. In a panic, one boater pulled out his pistol and shot at the moccasin - several times. He finally hit it. They almost made it to shore before the boat sank... with them and the snake still in it. Which meant that they and a wounded and angry water snake were all in the water - together.
Note - take an oar or pike or long-handled fishnet and gently scoop the snake out.

In the SE, snakes in trees were pretty common - all types of snakes, in all types of trees. They like birds' eggs, after all - or some are doing it to escape a predator, to hunt birds, squirrels, etc, or (I firmly believe) just to gleefully frighten passerby.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
I only see snakes in cages, lining the walls of my bedroom and laundry room... LOL. We don't have many wild snakes around here, just the occasional garter or gopher, along with some rattlers & Cali Kings up in the hills. Wish I had them hanging out in the trees near my place! But I'd probably want to rescue them, and already have more than I can handle.

No need for you all to be scared, as long as they're not venomous and coming at you. And while I understand wanting to protect the baby birds, as the OP said, they need to eat too! The good thing is that snakes can go MONTHS without food, so they'll just find another source if you're keeping them from those nests... but eventually they'll get hungry enough, so you can't make them starve forever. And why would you? Is the life of a bird more valuable than the life of a snake? No offense, but I find that to be a weird mentality.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Young painted water snake dueling with a catfish, the catfish eventually got away

Garter snake in the barberry bush

Grackle with a garter snake it just killed

Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 AM

My palm trees don't have snakes! Where are you? And what kind of snakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Sure. Snakes are often in the palms around me. And under the houses and in swells, etc., etc.
Only time you see 'em is when it rains heavy or you go mucking in their turf.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 AM

Has to be true, no one could make up that story! A dreadful realization once you would realize what kind of snake...

in the water with an angry/hurt water moc...... (water mocs are one of the few snakes I am fearful of...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
We had some friends who went boating on the Savannah River. A water moccasin fell into the boat from an overhanging tree. In a panic, one boater pulled out his pistol and shot at the moccasin - several times. He finally hit it. They almost made it to shore before the boat sank... with them and the snake still in it. Which meant that they and a wounded and angry water snake were all in the water - together.
Note - take an oar or pike or long-handled fishnet and gently scoop the snake out.

In the SE, snakes in trees were pretty common - all types of snakes, in all types of trees. They like birds' eggs, after all - or some are doing it to escape a predator, to hunt birds, squirrels, etc, or (I firmly believe) just to gleefully frighten passerby.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 AM

Of course bird is not more valuable than snake ... I wouldn't want baby snakes eaten either.

Share with us what snakes you keep!

Long ago I had a boyfriend who loved hunting for/keeping snakes. I really liked him, so to be close, I learned to go along for the hunts. This was in the SE ...we saw/caught amazing snakes! He kept only a few, a lovely corn snake (I found him...so exciting) and a few rat snakes as well as a Scarlet King. I met many different people- all into snakes. Pretty darn interesting. One of the guys is now the Herpetologist for SC largest zoo.

Now I live in an area with the water moccasin and Diamond Back Rattlesnakes...those are the only 2 I am really wary of....

The only thing that bothers me-watching snakes eat live food/mice. I am just a weenie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I only see snakes in cages, lining the walls of my bedroom and laundry room... LOL. We don't have many wild snakes around here, just the occasional garter or gopher, along with some rattlers & Cali Kings up in the hills. Wish I had them hanging out in the trees near my place! But I'd probably want to rescue them, and already have more than I can handle.

No need for you all to be scared, as long as they're not venomous and coming at you. And while I understand wanting to protect the baby birds, as the OP said, they need to eat too! The good thing is that snakes can go MONTHS without food, so they'll just find another source if you're keeping them from those nests... but eventually they'll get hungry enough, so you can't make them starve forever. And why would you? Is the life of a bird more valuable than the life of a snake? No offense, but I find that to be a weird mentality.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 AM

GREAT pics! That last one is particularly stunning...not many get photos like THAT . Were you searching for unusual photo ops or just lucky to be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Young painted water snake dueling with a catfish, the catfish eventually got away

Garter snake in the barberry bush

Grackle with a garter snake it just killed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature