Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 AM

37,757 posts, read 40,852,602 times

Advertisements

Post 13 looks like no one caught that tossed bridal bouquet and post 21 looks like a discarded bicycle helmet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,506,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander52 View Post
hmmm looks like ball of mushrooms, all growing together
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Stump covered in wood mushrooms or... the tennis ball my neighbor's dog used to have - the one that got covered with slobber and whatever other yecch he had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I agree....mushrooms.
Yes! It is a fungus.
WOW!!! You guy's are tough!!!

Okie

Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It may be difficult if the tree is hard to get up on, but mud packs on the cankers can keep American chestnuts alive. It gets to be a lot of work though: Mudpacking cankers from blight in the American chestnut - Massachusetts Chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation

Those giant chestnut trees must have been quite the sight, one I wish I could see. There are some very large ones in isolated patches still alive but they're quite rare. An 18 inch one is big now. It's a real shame this disease came in. Several tree species are being threatened by introduced pests and insects and diseases: butternut, elm, ash and posssibly even black walnut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I actually sent Sara Fitzsimmons, at Penn State, some of the leaves from our tree for identification. She is involved with the American Chestnut Foundation: The American Chestnut Foundation - Penn State She wanted to use our tree for pollination – but it was already starting to dye off. It is now on it's last legs with only about two lower branches still living. I don't think that it will live more than another year or two. We did try fertilizing it to give it a better chance. I had removed a large section of the dead top – which had borers in it. Perhaps I should have given it a systemic insecticide/fertilizer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am presuming that is from a Chinese Chestnut tree? We have a large (about 18 inches diagonally on the stump) American Chestnut. It has been dying off from the top down for the last decade. Usually our nuts from our American Chestnut are not as large as the nut in the center of this picture. However; I don't know if the nut from the American Chestnuts would not be larger if our tree was not dying?

There was a time in the US when 18 inch American Chestnut trees would have been considered small. There was an old picture, posted on the web, of one of these trees and a family of five lined up in front of it – it looked like it was five feet plus across the base. It is too bad that most of these trees died off.
The chestnut trees are on our property. We have six of them. The deer love them.
The fungus grew on the root of a large oak tree that was on our property. The oak tree has been removed now. Not because of the fungus but, because of some near by power lines. The county was wanting to trim it back but we told them they could just cut it down. It was a beautiful tree.

Okie

Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Post 13 looks like no one caught that tossed bridal bouquet and post 21 looks like a discarded bicycle helmet.
Wrong answer but.....FUNNY!!!

Okie

Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 AM

44,291 posts, read 19,957,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingLenticular View Post

How bout this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Some type of eggplant?
I'm with tamiznluv - looks like a species of red eggplant.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

How bout this one?
I will be honest, I didn't have a clue but my husband agrees with tamiznluv.
Okie

Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM

52,342 posts, read 34,085,385 times
Quote:

How bout this one?
nutmeg.

Spoiler
yep, i cheated by looking at the hidden html data from your hotlinked image

Old 07-17-2012, 01:31 PM

194 posts, read 504,068 times
Yup! It's nutmeg, and the red stuff around it is mace.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,119,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
nutmeg.

Spoiler
yep, i cheated by looking at the hidden html data from your hotlinked image
Aww, you spoiled the fun! Now we all know how to cheat! I was having fun with this thread.

BTW, thanks to those who thought maybe, just maybe I was right!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:24 PM

52,342 posts, read 34,085,385 times
^ in the future, that cheater info can be hidden by copying the data for the picture -

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JZlh88EMai...n+a+nutmeg.JPG , in this instance -

and paste it into here: TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting [click the url button first]

that will spit out this - http://oi47.tinypic.com/skylhz.jpg

-which, when surrounded by [img] and [/img], magically becomes:

then no one knows where the heck it came from or what it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature