Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Wild turkeys love black oily sunflower seeds – but cracked corn is cheaper. They will also eat bread and my duck food.

They sell deer netting at Lowe's to protect your garden from deer. It comes in a seven foot high (the roll is only about two and a half foot long – the material is folded) and hundred foot long roll for under $20. It is basically thin black netting. You could probably fashion a horseshoe cage that you could get the bird to go in. Once inside it would only trap itself if you started to walk towards the opening. However; that is probably illegal in your state without contacting and getting assistance from you Game Commission. You might want to check with them first before they knock on your door and give you a hefty fine. They might possibly lend you assistance trapping and removing your bird?

If only they would. I already wrote and asked them to do just that - either trap it themselves or give me advice. I got back the whole, "it's a wild animal, it's ok to let it run into the street and get killed and cause some poor driver a heart attack", etc.

The concern for this bird is underwhelming. We'll find sunflower seeds or cracked corn somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,769,932 times
craked crumbled stale bread ect...if your up for the walk youd probably be able to "drive" her home fairly easily, but a big ole live trap would be your best bet, or a net, if you can get a net over her and over her head she should be generally managable (once the head is covered they tend to calm...just make sure you keep one hand fmirly around her "ankles" so she doesnt kick and her wings secured (hence a net) those wings are strong.

unfotunatly if you return her to the flock if shes decided to start her own flock she may return in a few days but its more likely shes wanderd off too far and gotten lost.

as a side note for your property, ticks and snakes...Guineas! dont worry, ill get you ALLL set up LOL (adult guinea will tear a snake apart! and there is nothing better for tick control.)

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
OK, so now I have a real question - what do you use as bait for a turkey?

Here's the situation: the turkey has done some wild running across the street here, so one of the workers decided we need to trap it and release it back at the grounds where they all roost.

So picture this: me at 62 "shooing" the turkey (I named it Helen) and jingling my keys to herd it towards the space between 2 cars where the very large cage was waiting; husband, 57, shooing it back the other way; and a coworker, late 40s trying to corral it. And.............it didn't work, the turkey took off - we cornered it in a bus stop (2 sided glass thing with a bench) but it panicked and we let it get out because we were afraid it would hurt itself. So then it headed off across the street - again - with me yelling at some dingaling speeding. We decided Helen had enough today.

Can we throw a blanket over it to get it in the cage or will this scare her to death - literally? We don't want to harm her, we want to protect her from herself. She is about 2 miles from the rest of the flock/gaggle whatever turkeys are.

Anyone know?
Leave her alone or call your local conservation agent to handle the relocation.

Natural selection.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
If only they would. I already wrote and asked them to do just that - either trap it themselves or give me advice. I got back the whole, "it's a wild animal, it's ok to let it run into the street and get killed and cause some poor driver a heart attack", etc.

The concern for this bird is underwhelming. We'll find sunflower seeds or cracked corn somewhere.
About five years ago there was a sick baby raccoon on my property in the middle of the day. It could have fallen out of a tree, had distemper or rabies? So I called our Game Commission. I was expecting them to tell me to keep an eye on it and they would come down and collect it and test it. Instead; they asked me if I was capable of disposing of the animal – which I told them that I was. They told be to euthanize it and pour Clorox on it before I placed it in a plastic bag and then the trash. I was a little disappointed with their reaction.

You could also possibly call your animal control?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM

LOL to contacting any kind of authorities around here.

As for herding her back to the flock, we are over 2 miles away from the flock and, except for the beach, it's all major roads with posted limits of 35 mph but here that means an average speed of 45-50. You take your life in your hands doing 35. I am not walking 2 miles while herding a bird - especially in this heat. I'd pass out from heat exhaustion then we'd have another problem.

But I will talk to the others involved and let them know that if we toss a blanket over her. I'm also going to recruit others to help us today or tomorrow, weather depending. We could have gotten a blanket over her 3-4 times yesterday but were afraid we'd scare her to death and we are trying to prevent injury, not cause it.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,766,727 times
Quote:

So basically you are unwilling to accept for yourself that this is a wild animal and are going to feed the bird, making it less cautious about humans, enforcing by feeding that your suburban/urban yard is a good location to continue forage and nest, thus endangering it even more.

Brilliant!

Why not just build a cage in your backyard and fatten it up for Thanksgiving dinner for all the harm you will do it?

Sorry dear but wild turkey are not an endangered species. Their reintroduction by US and state fish & game agencies along with strictly limited seasons for harvesting these birds has been an overwhelming success. If anything, they have too few predators.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM

First, i am not talking about any surburban/urban back yard. i am talking about 100 acres in a surburban setting surrounded by a city. I am not planning to "feed it"; I/we are planning to lure it into the cage (large enough for a bigger animal). The problem is that the bird is already not cautious about humans and is now over 2 miles from its home making it extremely unlikely the poor thing will find its way to the sanctuary where, while not fenced in, they often are seen walking around the neighborhood and there are signs warning motorists. Here is right next to an interstate highway. The animal is in danger.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 PM

734 posts, read 1,629,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So basically you are unwilling to accept for yourself that this is a wild animal and are going to feed the bird, making it less cautious about humans, enforcing by feeding that your suburban/urban yard is a good location to continue forage and nest, thus endangering it even more.

Brilliant!

Why not just build a cage in your backyard and fatten it up for Thanksgiving dinner for all the harm you will do it?

Sorry dear but wild turkey are not an endangered species. Their reintroduction by US and state fish & game agencies along with strictly limited seasons for harvesting these birds has been an overwhelming success. If anything, they have too few predators.
Geez if you read the entire thread you would understand she is trying to help the turkey. I don't think natural selection refers to road kill.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,905,315 times
Quote:
First, i am not talking about any surburban/urban back yard. i am talking about 100 acres in a surburban setting surrounded by a city. I am not planning to "feed it"; I/we are planning to lure it into the cage (large enough for a bigger animal). The problem is that the bird is already not cautious about humans and is now over 2 miles from its home making it extremely unlikely the poor thing will find its way to the sanctuary where, while not fenced in, they often are seen walking around the neighborhood and there are signs warning motorists. Here is right next to an interstate highway. The animal is in danger.
we have single birds running around here too. they intentionally are not with the flock. could be the same with your bird.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,083,432 times
My SIL used to have ducks and two turkeys. The turkeys just loved me for some reason. Maybe they knew I was a bird person before I did. They'd come running to me whenever they saw me. They were pretty nasty to others. When I would sit outside they would each "roost" on my feet. One on one foot, the other on my other foot. They were so funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature