Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

I just saw the most interesting documentary. It's about birding in Central Park. Unless you live there, you would not believe the variety of birds that can be found in the middle of New York City. I have nature all around me and I'd kill to see that kind of bird (for me it's for bird photography) variety on a single trip. I am not kidding.

The documentary is on HBO. It's called "Birders." If you have HBO "On Demand" (Xfinity) it's under HBO Specials, then Documentaries. If you have HBO, you can watch it on On Demand for free. Otherwise, maybe check out the HBO website and find out the next time it's on again on the regular HBO schedule. On the website you can play a slideshow of some of the birds and watch a preview of the documentary.

HBO: Birders: The Central Park Effect: Home

They think so many migrating birds go there because it's the only patch of green in a cement jungle. You know, because it's the only place to rest, it gets all of the bird business. It's just amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Actually, Central Park is no more atrtractive to birds than any other similar wooded habitat. A typical area of the same acreage in upstate New York or West Virginia would probably have about the same varieties of species present in appropriate seasons and habitats. The difference is that there are thousands of people in New York who are knowledgeable about birds and are looking for them and recognize them when they see them and are involved in networking in which word of them can circulate. However, the same species of birds can return year after year to a square mile in the middle of Pennsylvania, and nobody would ever know it.

Vagrant old-world species of birds turn up regularly in North America, but nearly all the reports of them are from cities. Not because they prefer cities, but because that's where the people are who will recognize and report them. For example, several years ago a Eurasian Jackdaw showed up in the Pennsylvania State Penitentiary in Lewisburg, and was recognized by a prisoner who happened to be familiar with European birds. Jackdaws don't have any particular affinity to prisons, but dozens, hundreds of Jackdaws could accidentally turn up in North America, before one would ever be in a place where a knowledgeable person would recognize it. If a Jackdaw arrived overnight in Central Park, though, it would be on the internet by 9 am, because of the sheer number of birders who are canvassing the park every day. It's a lot harder to hide a needle in a salt shaker than in a haystack.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, Central Park is no more atrtractive to birds than any other similar wooded habitat. A typical area of the same acreage in upstate New York or West Virginia would probably have about the same varieties of species present in appropriate seasons and habitats. The difference is that there are thousands of people in New York who are knowledgeable about birds and are looking for them and recognize them when they see them and are involved in networking in which word of them can circulate. However, the same species of birds can return year after year to a square mile in the middle of Pennsylvania, and nobody would ever know it.

Vagrant old-world species of birds turn up regularly in North America, but nearly all the reports of them are from cities. Not because they prefer cities, but because that's where the people are who will recognize and report them. For example, several years ago a Eurasian Jackdaw showed up in the Pennsylvania State Penitentiary in Lewisburg, and was recognized by a prisoner who happened to be familiar with European birds. Jackdaws don't have any particular affinity to prisons, but dozens, hundreds of Jackdaws could accidentally turn up in North America, before one would ever be in a place where a knowledgeable person would recognize it. If a Jackdaw arrived overnight in Central Park, though, it would be on the internet by 9 am, because of the sheer number of birders who are canvassing the park every day. It's a lot harder to hide a needle in a salt shaker than in a haystack.
I don't know. I never thought of Central Park as nature until I saw the documentary. I thought of it as a very crowded patch of grass and trees. Just the number of people in it would keep me away if I were a bird. You know, who would think of going on a birding trip to NYC if all you are going to see are pigeons, squirrels, a few robins, some homeless people, a few runners/roller bladers, some mothers pushing carriages, a few people showing off doing yoga, a guy playing guitar for money, a few dogs and frisbees, a whole bunch of people pretending it's nature and the occasional dead body? Sometimes, I'm the only person I see when I go out with my camera to photograph birds. I was quite impressed with the documentary and came away with a whole new appreciation for the place.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I didn't mean to denigrate New York or Central Park. My point was that the large number of bird sightings in Central Park has more to do with the density of birdwatchers to find and report them, than density of birds, which is normal and typical for large urban parks.

It is true that a species of bird that might ordinarily avoid human proximity might turn up in Central Park, if it becomes disoriented or storm-tossed, finds refuge in the only green area for many miles, and remains there for a period of time while recovering its strength or sense of direction. Or it might remain there for the rest of its life, if in flight it is unable to see any other suitable habitat on the horizon, which is quite possible from Central Park. At least half the bird species reported in Central Park are migrants, any of which can accidentally turn up there on the way through. Migrating birds are bound, at times, to be forced down by unpredictable flight conditions, and Central Park gives them a fighting chance for survival.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-14-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-22-2017, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 618 times
Default The Central Park bird checklist is now an app!

Hey guys. I love Central Park for birdwatching. For sure, any wooded habitat in a city is an oasis for wildlife. Checkout this iPhone app that has a complete list of all the birds that reside or pass through Central Park, so that you can be sure to identify each one that you find.

[url]https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/eyelovebirds/id956417417[/url]

Last edited by erynnlouise; 03-22-2017 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature