Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,439 times

Advertisements

That's a little out of the confirmed range for hobo spiders (Tegenaria agrestis) but there are reports of a few isolated colonies in Northern Colorado and the abdoman looks a little too narrow.

I'm leaning towards it maybe being a funnel web grass spider (Agelenopsis)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
I know of a elderly lady who eventually passed away from having being bitten by a recluse.
She went to a doctor and the doctor dismissed the bite as a mosquito bite. The next few days she became very, very ill, and went to the emergency room for treatment.
They couldn't figure it out. Woman was a diabetic and had other health issues too.
She was hospitalized for almost two weeks where her bodily functions began to shut down, and she passed on.
The hospital did some toxicology test at a autopsy and determined it was indeed a recluse bite.
The woman's children searched their mother's bedroom where they found several of them clinging around a wooden bed frame.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,961 times
This is a wolf spider. It is the most common spider misidentified as a brown recluse or hobo spider in Colorado. Even doctors get this wrong. [url=http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05607.html]Brown Recluse Spiders in Colorado: Recognition and Spiders of Similar Appearance[/url]

Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Where I grew up we called the fiddleback spiders. Same as brown recluse.

Brown recluse spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I know of a elderly lady who eventually passed away from having being bitten by a recluse.
She went to a doctor and the doctor dismissed the bite as a mosquito bite. The next few days she became very, very ill, and went to the emergency room for treatment.
They couldn't figure it out. Woman was a diabetic and had other health issues too.
She was hospitalized for almost two weeks where her bodily functions began to shut down, and she passed on.
The hospital did some toxicology test at a autopsy and determined it was indeed a recluse bite.
The woman's children searched their mother's bedroom where they found several of them clinging around a wooden bed frame.
Considering the ELISA test is new and almost never used clinically I am shocked they used it to determine death in a woman who had many other health issues.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
I just killed a spider that looks like the one above with a fly swatter the other day. I was watching TV and I noticed it walking on the rug and then it disappeared under the couch. I moved the couch and there it was. It was about 2 inches long. SMASH! I've never seen one like that before. I find a few black widows in the garage from time to time. I'm in Southern California.

-Cheers!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
This is scares me to death......I have a lot of dark, unused spaces in my house.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Considering the ELISA test is new and almost never used clinically I am shocked they used it to determine death in a woman who had many other health issues.
What???? The ELISA method is not new and it is used in many clinical laboratory tests.

ELISA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am a Clinical Laboratory Scientist and this method has been around since before I became a CLS over 10 years ago.

Here we go...it has been around since the 1970s http://www.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/C...20Technologies

Why did you think it was new technology?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:53 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I agree with Beth. I think that's a hobo spider.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
relax. they're not in your area.

the terror re: brown recluse spiders is highly exaggerated, and i say this as someone who lived in a not-so-well-kept house [sue me, i was a college student ] for 4 years with dozens of them around, and never had any issues with them whatsoever.
I also agree with this. If you are bitten by a brown recluse, the most likely scenario to unfold is that the result of your envenomation will be about as significant as a bee or hornet sting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature