Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Does anyone else get "Birds and Blooms" magazine? That is one of my favorite.
My subscription just ran out. Gotta renew. I've been gettting it for years and tried many of the so called "squirrel proof" ideas. Ha ha.
BTW, the baffle has worked till today. One squirrel found a way to jump over it while on the pole. I didn't see it, my son did. Back to the drawing board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
My subscription just ran out. Gotta renew. I've been gettting it for years and tried many of the so called "squirrel proof" ideas. Ha ha.
BTW, the baffle has worked till today. One squirrel found a way to jump over it while on the pole. I didn't see it, my son did. Back to the drawing board!
Try a cylinder baffle. They're longer, so it's not easy for them to jump over it. This is mine; I've had it for several months now, and so far, it's worked like a charm. (The top of the baffle has to be a certain height from the ground - six feet, I think.)

Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Love the "LBB"!

One type of seed that many songbirds like and squirrels won't touch is safflower seed. Squirrels will take a look but will not eat it. Safflower is more expensive than sunflower, so I don't buy it very often. With the cylinder baffle, I don't need to worry about the squirrels anyway.

Exactly.

I've noticed that sometimes in the fall, the younger squirrels born during the summer *will* eat safflower because they are still finding their own territory, developing food-gathering skills, or are simply participating in that frantic end-of-the-season feasting frenzy. But that is only for a brief time. The amount I lose to them is negligible.

Most of the year, squirrels will not touch my feeder when it is filled with safflower seed, and I get cardinals, doves, titmice, chickadees, finches and, in fall/spring, several migratory birds such as warblers.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Exactly.

I've noticed that sometimes in the fall, the younger squirrels born during the summer *will* eat safflower because they are still finding their own territory, developing food-gathering skills, or are simply participating in that frantic end-of-the-season feasting frenzy. But that is only for a brief time. The amount I lose to them is negligible.

Most of the year, squirrels will not touch my feeder when it is filled with safflower seed, and I get cardinals, doves, titmice, chickadees, finches and, in fall/spring, several migratory birds such as warblers.
This may be your experience, and you're very fortunate. My experience was similar the first year or so we were in this house. However, over the past several years, we've had squirrels invading our safflower feeders year-round. I'd even load it with cayenne pepper, and it wouldn't make a difference. They didn't move on. I was going through a huge amount of seed.

The baffle has been the only thing that has stopped them.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
The baffle has been the only thing that has stopped them.
Thank goodness the baffle works for you. I assume it keeps out any possible <gasp, I hate to say the word> rats too?
I have heard that there are rats in in our neighborhood getting into feeders.

I have seen some very ingenious squirrels over the years.
You have to hand it to them for the way their squirrelly little minds (and bodies) work.
I had one feeder which was supposed to be squirrel-proof, it was in a spherical cage. They boldly leaped from an adjacent tree to the hanger part of the feeder and chewed through the hanger, so the feeder fell to the ground. They then jiggled the feeder, spilling out all the seed through the cage.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have a small bird feeder, mainly finches. It is really for Jasper, my cat, the feeder sits right by his "bird window" and he can watch them all day. I bought thistle seed today, lots of birds feeding now...I wonder if they know it will be a hard winter? I will get some suet for them in the winter.

In Scouts we used to make birdseed cakes, out of fat and peanut butter.

Morning Jasper: My husband and I have been feeding the birds and we also have the feeders outside the window of our "kitty room". My husband calls it the "Cat Entertainment Center". They love to sit and watch all the different birds come to feed.

We have every kind of bird from yellow finches to red headed woodpeckers. The greediest of all of them are the Starlings. I can't begrudge them any food though and do believe that this winter is going to be a tough one here in CT based on how busy they have been plus how VERY busy the squirrels have been. We have these huge hickory trees down by our pool and the squirrels are hauling nuts up the concrete steps from down by our pool..across the yard where we have it fenced for our dog and into the tree next door..an odd path for them to take. I have to be careful when I let out the Pit Bull..she chases them..doesn't hurt them, just loves the chase.

Compared to last year and the bird and squirrel activity..I do believe that CT is in for a bad winter. Ok with me..I actually love the snow and cold. Oh, and Yes, get some suet. I believe my husband has already put some out..gotta get more.

Enjoy

Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Thank goodness the baffle works for you. I assume it keeps out any possible <gasp, I hate to say the word> rats too?
I have heard that there are rats in in our neighborhood getting into feeders.
I would think so - especially since squirrels are also known as tree rats. You just have to keep it at least 8 feet (preferably more) from any tree or structure from which a squirrel could leap to the top of the pole above the baffle.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
I would think so - especially since squirrels are also known as tree rats.
That's pretty much what they are. But I think we have the other kind lurking around too--the ones *without* that fashionable furry tail.
Quote:
You just have to keep it at least 8 feet (preferably more) from any tree or structure from which a squirrel could leap to the top of the pole above the baffle.
Yeah, that's what I thought.
Not gonna happen here. Too many trees.
Well, at least the squirrels don't like the safflower. They are leaving it alone. And if the regular rats like it, they certainly do not seem to be making a dent in it.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I have 2, one from the store and one homeade;put the bird seed in a little container on a board hanging from the tree. They have to have something to perch on when they eat. We've been getting the squirrels up there though. We get a few blue jays, tanagers and the little guys. I put fresh water in the bird bath, too. Soon it'll be hot water from the tap through the winter.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 664 times
Thanks for everyone who feeds animals and birds. I love doing the same thing. For many years I have done this. Currently though several tenants have complained that I am feeding rats and numerous homeless people take away the squirrel food I leave for them.
Most of the animals and birds I feed depend on me-or at least they did. I was the only one to give them food and water in our dry and foodless neighborhood. I can't understand the evilness of people. It all started with one guy and now everyone is complaining or taking away their food. Good vibes go out to you all to do take care of our endangered urban wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature