Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times

Advertisements

I guess this belongs in "Nature," although the situation is fairly unnatural.

There's been an explosion of opossums in New York City recently. And how did they come to be here? The city's own government brought them in as (hold onto your hat, if you're wearing one) a means to combat rats.

Evidently, someone in city government didn't do really well in biology class. Opossums neither eat nor kill rats. And now they've become at least as big a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Poor opossums! I can't imagine where they are living, it would be impossible for them to avoid humanity in such tight quarters. Many people are terrified of them, especially those unused to wildlife, but opossums are not as dangerous as people think. They come in through the cat door in our garage all the time, we just mind our own business and they mind theirs.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
i find it hard to believe that anyone could be dumb enough to think possums will eat rats, and to go about actively importing them. it seems that there's a single councilman who made this claim, but everyone else seems to deny it.
the evidence is conflicting.

Quote:
City Councilmember Domenic Recchia told the New York Post that city is to blame for the out-of-control opossum population. Recchia claimed that a decade ago the city had brought in the opossums to take care a rat problem. However, the city’s Health Department has no record of this action, the paper reports.
Quote:
Although the Health Department claims to have no record of Operation Opossum, Brooklyn Councilman Domenic Recchia insists that city officials presented the plan at a 2007 borough forum to address the rat infestation. Minutes of the next meeting of Community Board 15, which contain the advice “City brought possums in to take care of rats,” support the councilman’s claim.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
I like possums. Have one that has made my lilac bush by the back door it's home. I feed it wet kitty food. Her babies are darling.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
I find it hard to believe that New York City brought in opposums. In fact, I don't believe it. Opposums live in many large cities since they adapt well to human environments. Plenty of them live in the City of Detroit and in suburbs throughout southeast Michigan.

If, indeed, they were "brought in" in 2007, that's simply not enough time for them to have a "population explosion".

Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
They look like big rats to me.

We had a possum living in south east L.A. suburb. You'd be surprised what animals can live next to Man. I saw a red fox in Oklahoma City once at 5 AM. No, not at the zoo.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
They look like big rats to me.

We had a possum living in south east L.A. suburb. You'd be surprised what animals can live next to Man. I saw a red fox in Oklahoma City once at 5 AM. No, not at the zoo.
My neighbor across the street has a family of 3 foxes come every evening to be fed "supper". The Mom and Dad have been going to her place for years. They never bother us and they just wait patiently like a dog for their chows. The cats sit just a few feet away from them too. They come just before dusk.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My neighbor across the street has a family of 3 foxes come every evening to be fed "supper". The Mom and Dad have been going to her place for years. They never bother us and they just wait patiently like a dog for their chows. The cats sit just a few feet away from them too. They come just before dusk.
Wow they are lucky because fox will kill small animals like cats.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,161 times
Quote:
A lot of foxes are being driven into suburbia due to the expansion of the coyote population. Coyotes kill foxes and while they too can live near man there are a lot more of them out in the rural areas than there used to be.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
We have foxes too, both red and occasionally gray. They have never bothered our cats, we see foxes carrying small mammals like chipmunks in their mouth sometimes. Once I watched one following a flock of turkeys across our yard, the fox just watched and the turkeys weren't even bothered by it. Foxes are pretty small. I've seen foxes go after chickens, though. That's an easy meal for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature