Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM

215 posts, read 181,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
In an abstract way I dont think you would ever understand, you are making my point for me
Not really. I will say I apologize for saying "damn PETA people," but when I'm thinking about this issue they tend to come to mind and they tend to lump Christians as a bunch of sadistic hypocrites.

As far as me, driving to and from work weekly there are squirrels running about here and an occasional goose flock and I can assure I do all I can to miss (driving over) the critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM

831 posts, read 1,961,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
As far as me, driving to and from work weekly there are squirrels running about here and an occasional goose flock and I can assure I do all I can to miss (driving over) the critters.
We need a lot more of this in the world.

And for that I say with all sincerity, I THANKEE KINDLY!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:21 AM

215 posts, read 181,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
We need a lot more of this in the world.

And for that I say with all sincerity, I THANKEE KINDLY!
Can't say the same thing about my Himalayan though. That little monster drags all kinds of things into the yard - baby squirrels and rabbits, mice and even a monster rat one time.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,836,370 times
When I was in college I saw a huge old snapper crossing the street between two ponds. I found a place to turn around and went back, but had to park the car further up the road because there was no shoulder. So I'm running down the street waving my arms to warn oncoming traffic and some ***** in a pick-up serves and tries to hit the turtle. Luckily he missed by less than an inch. I was wearing an old flannel shirt and was able to throw that over the turtle to move him...he must have weighed about 40 pounds. He reared back over his shell and almost took my nose off.

So yeah, I absolutely believe this study. Total and complete lack of empathy.

On a better note, a few years back my mom was outside when she saw a firetruck coming down the street (the firehouse is right around the corner from us). They briefly stopped in the middle of the road down the street, then continued on until they saw her outside and called her over to the truck. She goes over and one of the fireman hands her a big box turtle...the reason they stopped down the street was to avoid hitting it and to get it out of the road. They asked her to please take it around to the lake, which we did. They were really sweetly concerned about this turtle and making sure he got to a safer area.

As a vet tech, I also saw many injured turtles that people had rescued from roads and brought in, many of which we were able to 'repair' and release, or at the very least put them down so they didn't suffer if they were too badly injured. There's a good person for every jerk in the world

Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have come across too many "Christians" who treat animals horribly, with their justification being the bible that says man has dominion over animals. Somehow I doubt religion is the answer.
I tend to think it's just the luck of the draw with the gene pool. Isn't your core personality formed by age 5?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,832,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's surprising to me that 10 motorists would either hit or try to hit a turtle in the road. I would actually expect that many (if not more) to get out of their cars and carry the turtle to safety - in fact I've witnessed people do things like that over the years. I've also seen plenty of people stop for ducks crossing the road and I've seen people hold up traffic to get dogs off the street.

But to actually swerve and try and hit an animal. That's just really sad.
Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all. Most people I encounter are ass holes without any real concern for anything but themselves.

A lot of people get off on the suffering of others. I guess that can include animals.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,514,608 times
This story about hitting or missing turtles brings back memories of a story my son told me a few years back. He is an animal lover, and was so sad and upset when he told me his story.

He was out with some friends at a creek during smelt season, where there were a lot of fishermen standing in the water scooping smelts with nets. My son saw a young (on the small side) beaver who was swimming past him, going UP the creek. He hollered "beaver coming your way" loudly up the creek so the fishermen were aware of it coming towards them. Within a minute, the poor little beaver floated past him. My son turned his flashlight on to see if it was alive, but he could easily see that someone had struck him hard enough with their net (or a rock?) to crush his head in.
IMO, it was a needless, senseless, cruel death on a little creature that was doing no harm and lived in that creek.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,514,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all. Most people I encounter are ass holes without any real concern for anything but themselves.

A lot of people get off on the suffering of others. I guess that can include animals.
I agree, I just don't understand WHY they get off on the suffering of others? What is it that excites them that they could be so cruel? The act of being cruel? How INhumane. We are supposed to be the superior being. More like the sickest IMO.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Surprising? Guess I am a bit jaded at my age...

I would do the same. We are responsible for all life on this planet.

But many years ago, we were driving on a rural road and passed a tiny dog sitting just a few inches off the road. Seemed to me the little thing could have been pushed out of a car...waiting for someone to return?

Since I was not driving, I turned my head back to look again at the little guy. That is when I saw the driver of the next vehicle

deliberately aim his truck at that dog, heading the vehicle off to the right side of the road...

I felt immediately nausea...but somehow the a$$ missed the little guy.

It was then I was deeply and permanently hurt by humanity....though of course, atrocities are widespread. But that was the act that captured my attention and will stay with me forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's surprising to me that 10 motorists would either hit or try to hit a turtle in the road. I would actually expect that many (if not more) to get out of their cars and carry the turtle to safety - in fact I've witnessed people do things like that over the years. I've also seen plenty of people stop for ducks crossing the road and I've seen people hold up traffic to get dogs off the street.

But to actually swerve and try and hit an animal. That's just really sad.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
This story about hitting or missing turtles brings back memories of a story my son told me a few years back. He is an animal lover, and was so sad and upset when he told me his story.

He was out with some friends at a creek during smelt season, where there were a lot of fishermen standing in the water scooping smelts with nets. My son saw a young (on the small side) beaver who was swimming past him, going UP the creek. He hollered "beaver coming your way" loudly up the creek so the fishermen were aware of it coming towards them. Within a minute, the poor little beaver floated past him. My son turned his flashlight on to see if it was alive, but he could easily see that someone had struck him hard enough with their net (or a rock?) to crush his head in.
IMO, it was a needless, senseless, cruel death on a little creature that was doing no harm and lived in that creek.
I've seen that happen by a rival male Beaver. They will kill a young one. Very territorial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature