Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,875,449 times

Advertisements

Sadly, when they have reached the old age of more than 1 yr old, and are full-on adults, unlike the commercially "raised" birds (and I use that term rather generously, since how they are raised and then butchered is, for the most part, viciously cruel...) who are butchered when they are ≤ 6 mo old as I understand it, they are a tad bit.. oh how shall we say it? Tough? Do you have a pressure cooker?

Otherwise, I'd say you should put an ad in your local newspaper, which they should do for free as a community favor btw, for someone who raises chickens. Then you can easily trap it (PM me...), and then donate it to them. Though again, most urban chicken raisers also don't really want a rooster for the same reasons you don't want it @ around 5:30 am.

But for instance, I am thinking of getting one for my flock of 18 hens, but I'll also be getting a banty rooster. They, with their smaller size, seem to be less aggressive and more sedate, incl. those early am roosting calls.

Besides, is he not a pretty birdie? Quite decorative and all?

http://www.amybethobrien.com/home/wp...9/rooster2.jpg

Perhaps you could bring him inside and train him to be an indoor pet (). yep: birdie poops all over the kitchen and dining room? Very decorative!

Well, good luck. (but... if you are by chance in Central WA St, also PM me: I'll just come and git'im)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:24 PM

552 posts, read 717,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Sadly, when they have reached the old age of more than 1 yr old, and are full-on adults, unlike the commercially "raised" birds (and I use that term rather generously, since how they are raised and then butchered is, for the most part, viciously cruel...) who are butchered when they are ≤ 6 mo old as I understand it, they are a tad bit.. oh how shall we say it? Tough? Do you have a pressure cooker?

Otherwise, I'd say you should put an ad in your local newspaper, which they should do for free as a community favor btw, for someone who raises chickens. Then you can easily trap it (PM me...), and then donate it to them. Though again, most urban chicken raisers also don't really want a rooster for the same reasons you don't want it @ around 5:30 am.

But for instance, I am thinking of getting one for my flock of 18 hens, but I'll also be getting a banty rooster. They, with their smaller size, seem to be less aggressive and more sedate, incl. those early am roosting calls.

Perhaps you could bring him inside and train him to be an indoor pet (). yep: birdie poops all over the kitchen and dining room? Very decorative!

Well, good luck. (but... if you are by chance in Central WA St, also PM me: I'll just come and git'im)
Nope north of Tampa. What I really want to do is figure out which one of my neighbors house it came from. Like I said this is a suburban city with close houses, they arent zoned for having chickens and what not.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,854 posts, read 10,409,937 times
The noise part I get, but the suburban obsession with all the "rules", not so much. And have never had nearly as much trouble with critters like poultry as I have with the so-called "domesticated" kind, like neighborhood dogs, and even cats!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The noise part I get, but the suburban obsession with all the "rules", not so much. And have never had nearly as much trouble with critters like poultry as I have with the so-called "domesticated" kind, like neighborhood dogs, and even cats!
Hey Im against overregulation as much as anyone, but I want peace and quiet in my own home. If something is going on that prevents my family from getting a good nights rest thats a problem. I dont live in a subdivision and never will, they are crazy with all their rules.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,061,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Hey Im against overregulation as much as anyone, but I want peace and quiet in my own home. If something is going on that prevents my family from getting a good nights rest thats a problem. I dont live in a subdivision and never will, they are crazy with all their rules.
i know the area--call animal control and they can get someone to humanly trap it and take it away!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 PM

734 posts, read 1,630,064 times
Zero tolerance now-a-days. I loved hearing the roosters in the morning and once we got used to it (even my 3 little kids!) we slept right through it.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,232,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

He is a beautiful rooster!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,291,547 times
I am guesing if he is running around loose, won't something eat him sooner or later. Our neighbor had chickens and roosters and there were all kinds of critters trying to get in at those birds. Racoons, foxes, coyotes, etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM

3,524 posts, read 2,823,394 times
Doesn't Florida have a big problem with wild urban chickens? I watched a program on Animal Planet about them, kinda cool i think find out were there nesting and get some really fresh eggs.

bill

Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Zero tolerance now-a-days. I loved hearing the roosters in the morning and once we got used to it (even my 3 little kids!) we slept right through it.
Thats wonderful. If I wanted to hear them Id move to a farming community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature