Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Hi Jim,

I have to tell you that although I am definitely a reptile and amphibian enthusiast, I do sometimes have to cross-reference books that I have before posting some of the stuff that I do. I have a passion for them, but my knowledge is not encyclopedic. I love to learn though, which is why I love to discuss these things.

You are probably right about the folk who don't have the experience with the massasaugas, but it still surprises me because most people respond to snakes with something between cozy indifference and sheer horror. I hope that it doesn't mean that people are trying to collect them.

I did read about the python and the two boys. It's horrific and very sad. I really have trouble finding words to express feelings about something like that, I can't imagine losing two young children on the same night. I don't think that large constrictors or venomous animals should be pets, for this reason. Even if accidents are rare, this is the outcome of them.
That snake didn't kill those boys. Last I heard this was now a murder investigation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:39 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I found this link and admit it could be seventeen years old? But, when it was posted; treating a copperhead snake bite would only cost three $150 vials of anti-venom: Hiker's Notebook: Copperhead So; where is this $54,550 dollar discretion? Did inflation do that since 1996?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
That snake didn't kill those boys. Last I heard this was now a murder investigation.
Source? I'm interested in reading more.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:29 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
NJmmadude:

I don't know if it just coincidence, but in the past two weeks there have been at least 4 news stories, in Canada, about snakes being seized by Humane Society investigators.

One was in Brantford, Ontario, about 60 miles west of Toronto. 40 assorted large snakes, including pythons and a cobra, were found in a motel room. The local Police were tipped off by the previous landlord of the man who had them. He and his wife and 3 kids had been evicted, and were staying in the motel, while they found another place to live.

Link:http://www.thespec.com/news-story/40...antford-motel/

Just yesterday, another seizure took place near Pembroke, Ontario. This involved snakes, alligators, and bearded lizards.

Link; SPCA seizes 45 reptiles, including alligator from Ontario property

It seems to me that the deaths of the two boys in New Brunswick have resulted in increased scrutiny of such collections.

Your thoughts ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Hi Jim,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

I am not sure if there is a correlation between the death of the boys and the seizure of similar animals. There very well could be, and I suppose that after a tragedy like that, law enforcement will be sure to show some 'proactive' responses to divert other similar tragedies. If you've watched the show 'The Wire', you will know what I mean by the quote "drugs on the table".

Regarding owning a collection of dangerous or venomous reptiles, I haven't walked in the shoes of the collectors for their perspective, but I honestly do have some reservation about owning them as captives. To take specimens for study to perpetuate the understanding of them, and for the benefit of the species, is one thing. However, I think that people sometimes take wild animals as pets with a range of unclear expectations, from ease of care to having anthropomorphic qualities. As people lose interest in them, control over them, or the ability to care for them, they are often killed or, worse, abandoned in the wild to become an alien species. The latter is potentially devastating to the ecosystem if a breeding population is established (see the effects of pythons in the Everglades for reference).

Just my $0.02

Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
NJmmadude"

I strongly agree with your point, about people who " lose interest " in the animals over time.

And, your point about the everglades is on target, too.

A concern here in Ontario, is the potential spread of the snakehead carp, into the Great lakes. I think you have probably seen the videos of them jumping out of the water, when out board motor boats run through their areas ? I sure hope that invasive species does not move in to the GL.

A number of Big Head carp , were recently seized here in Toronto, from a Chinese guy who was selling them as food to the local Chinese community. They were alive, and he had smuggled them in from Ohio. I think he received a large fine. Some times prosecution under fish and game laws results in bigger fines than simple criminal code charges. Here is a sample news report about a seizure at the Detroit Windsor bridge.

Link:

Invasive carp seized at U.S.-Canada border - UPI.com

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature