Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 AM

24,353 posts, read 26,830,821 times

Advertisements

If anyone hasn't seen this documentary/movie, you owe it to yourself to rent it, stream it, download it... whatever is easier for you.

Netflix has it right now, which is why I finally watched it. I initially thought it was going to be your typical "Whale Wars" type of film, so I never bothered to watch it until last night because I couldn't fall asleep and thought this might do the trick.

I was so wrong about this film. It was made in a very fair manner with plenty of actual footage. It follows the main Orca Whale at the Seaworld in Orlando. I've seen the show many times and so many things clicked in my mind after watching this film. It made sense when I saw scarring on him or why he was always separated from the females.

It shows his life before Seaworld even bought him. I'm normally not the kind of person that can have his views changed from a film, but this completely did it for me.

I will never go to Seaworld again, unless they stop keeping captive whales. Those animals are far too large and intelligent to be held in captivity. I did fact checks among many of the points Blackfish makes and they all checked out too.

I understand why so many people on my facebook, young and old, were posting about the film when it came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,818,626 times
I haven't seen it yet (just noticed Netflix had it last night.
but ive seen much of the footage of the main whale in the documentary,
anyone with half a brain truly watching those seaworld shows can tell these are broken animals...

orca are one of those species that should remain wild and protected...they are "killers" for a reason.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:43 PM

It's not just those whales you see in the show. Their breeding program is a sham in my opinion. The lies they tell visitors such as Killers Whales tend to live longer in captivity, its common for their fins to fold over in the wild too, they are happy performing tricks, they live together harmoniously like a family... all these complete lies. I started having some of my friends and family members who haven't seen the film and 100% of them won't support Seaworld anymore.

I personally felt bad for their whales, but I kept going because I thought... well, at least they are getting medical care and aren't at risk of being caught by poachers etc. However, this film has pushed me so far past the point to I can't make any more excuses for Seaworld. It's a shame because I love seeing the animals there and in a way, being able to see these creatures up close does make you appreciate them more, which is why I think most of the animals at Seaworld are fine, but whales are simply too large and intelligent to be kept in an enclosure.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,818,626 times
finally watched it and it confirmed everything I already knew...

what DID surprise me was nothing to do with anything animal but instead that seaworld is using bits of inexperienced kids as trainers, their MAJOR requirement for trainers is not a background in animal baheviour or marine biology, or phycology, but that they can simply SWIM...
and none are informed of previous deaths and serious injuries befoe putting them into the water with these huge powerfull intelligent BROKEN creatures.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
finally watched it and it confirmed everything I already knew...

what DID surprise me was nothing to do with anything animal but instead that seaworld is using bits of inexperienced kids as trainers, their MAJOR requirement for trainers is not a background in animal baheviour or marine biology, or phycology, but that they can simply SWIM...
and none are informed of previous deaths and serious injuries befoe putting them into the water with these huge powerfull intelligent BROKEN creatures.
Yep, a lot of what made me no longer want to go to Seaworld was the way they operate.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,204,771 times
Saw the documentary last week (been putting if off because I knew it would be upsetting). Outrageous to capture this
a baby orca ( total of 3 but only Tilikum survived and the other two filled with large rocks so they would sink to the bottom).
And, the pod which was able to swim away but were waiting and making sounds (never recorded or heard before). Cruelty for the sake of entertainment and profit for using Tilikum for breeding purposes. Shame on Seaworld.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
Yes. I saw it with my son over Christmas. I hope the word gets out. I saw an article where several top name entertainers have cancelled their shows at SeaWorld.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,340,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

This answers a question I have always had about Seaworld. I figured their trainers were marine biologists and marine mammal behaviorists with years of experience. But it never made sense to me, with such a deep understanding of these animals how could they stand for keeping them captive in tiny pools and turning their lives into nothing more than an endless schedule of performances? I guess I have my answer now: Seaworld hires clueless, impressionable kids who only know what Seaworld tells them about these animals.

It's so good to read in this thread that people are deciding to vote with their wallets and stop going to Seaworld. Money is the only thing these people understand, so the best way to communicate your disapproval is to quit going and get your friends and family members on board with the boycott.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:34 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,803,950 times
I can see Orcas from the shore.
The only reason I would go to see ones what were captured and imprisoned would be to see them kill their captors.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,515,747 times
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I went to Seaworld as a teenager with my mom. I was young and loved animals (especially whales and dolphins) and heard how wonderful the show was.

We were so disgusted at the appauling conditions, we left before we saw all of it. On my way past the other pens, I couldn't believe they had Polar bears, seals and penguins living in small cement enclosures in 80 degree heat. That is just CRUEL for animals who live in the arctic regions in cool weather most of the year. They had filthy dirty pools to swim in to cool off.
I'll NEVER EVER GO BACK to Seaworld, and tell everyone I know that considers going, why they shouldn't.

I hate ZOOS and circuses with wild animals for the same reason. In zoos, the animals are stuck in small un-natural enclosures and the circus animals have to ride in crowded transports and then stand around in little portable stalls on cement floors, then forced to perform silly tricks for human entertainment.

The ONLY place I've seen animals treated half (HALF) decently in large natural settings is Busch Gardens and Lion Safari, but I'd prolly change my mind if I saw what goes on behind the scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature