Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:59 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times

Advertisements

Every 700,000 years it erupts. Could be any minute now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Every 700,000 years it erupts. Could be any minute now.
LOL.... Just has to happen once... Our volcano was asleep for 500 years and "harmless" when we bought our house. But it was just a baby volcano compared to Yellowstone. But I will never trust a dormant volcano again!

It looks like the Yellowstone animal movement is just normal migration path.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
When Yellowstone erupts, it really won't make much difference what the animals did or what the people did, it will be one of those nature starting over events.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
It IS spring... this is the time when everything starts waking up in the Rockies and moving around. Buffalo spook fairly easy too... it doesn't take much to get them "running like hell".

Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,361 times
I saw a video of a herd of elk running away from there. They were jumping the fence. The poor little thinks looked so scared. LOL. There was big 4.8 magnitude at yellowstone earthquake a month ago, the largest since the 80s. Isn't that what happened at Mt. St. Helen's? They had a huge earthquake and then the thing erupted? I wouldn't listen to those "dis-info agents". Whenever you see a huge herd of animals running away from nature, something is about to go down.

I am so fascinated by geology and nature. I should have gone to school for something in that field.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 AM

534 posts, read 904,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey92 View Post
I saw a few articles today about animals fleeing the national park and figured it would be worth considering since they do have some natural instincts to leave before SHTF
Animals fleeing Yellowstone spark fears of volcanic eruption ? RT USA
Yes it is about to blow, have you ordered survival seeds and gold from glen beck yet?

Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I saw a video of a herd of elk running away from there.
Are you sure that's what you saw? How do you know they were running "away from the park", and not just running around in it? Like animals do. Because that's a pretty big park.

Or for that matter, how do you know for sure they were anywhere near the park? Other than that was what the person who posted the video said...

Quote:
There was big 4.8 magnitude at yellowstone earthquake a month ago, the largest since the 80s. Isn't that what happened at Mt. St. Helen's? They had a huge earthquake and then the thing erupted?
Yes, about 3 seconds after the earthquake. The earthquake caused the side of the mountain to collapse, releasing the gases and magma that were trapped inside it (it was a little more complicated than that, but that's the simple version.)

At any rate, the Mt. St. Helens eruption was a totally different set of circumstances, no similarity at all to Yellowstone. An earthquake at Yellowstone would not actually trigger an eruption the way one did at Mt. St. Helen, but it could signal the beginning of one. When the Yellowstone Caldera blows again - and it will blow again - there will almost certainly be very large earthquakes immediately before it goes, as the top of the caldera fractures and magma moves rapidly into the voids. There may be a period of several months (or even years) prior to the eruption where earthquake activity increases greatly as the magma chamber fills, and this may actually be what's happening now.

But we don't know that yet, and all these animal videos don't mean these recent earthquakes are any more significant than a normal cyclical uptick in seismic activity. Yellowstone is very, very ancient, and we simply haven't been keeping records long enough to know what is and is not normal.

Quote:
I wouldn't listen to those "dis-info agents".
Excellent advice!

Quote:
Whenever you see a huge herd of animals running away from nature, something is about to go down.
What exactly constitutes "running away from nature?" Animals run all the time. That's what they do. In most cases, it doesn't mean anything more than that they suddenly decided they wanted to be someplace other than where they were. There's no reason to believe that all these videos of animals running around in Yellowstone are anything more than videos of animals running around in Yellowstone.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,606 times
I get the sense that a lot of people who watched a National Geographic special are going to be very disappointed when the Yellowstone caldera erupts and it isn't anything even remotely like the movie Armageddon.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Quote:
I saw a video of a herd of elk running away from there. They were jumping the fence. The poor little thinks looked so scared. LOL. There was big 4.8 magnitude at yellowstone earthquake a month ago, the largest since the 80s. Isn't that what happened at Mt. St. Helen's? They had a huge earthquake and then the thing erupted? I wouldn't listen to those "dis-info agents". Whenever you see a huge herd of animals running away from nature, something is about to go down.

I am so fascinated by geology and nature. I should have gone to school for something in that field.
It's at least 1000 times more likely that the elk were running from a wolf, bear or even a coyote than from an earthquake or volcano. And the bison in that now-famous video were running INTO the Park, not out of it. We tell them and tell them where they're supposed to stay, but they just ignore us.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM

335 posts, read 409,596 times
I can't speak for the various animals running in perceived response to the many hundreds of tremors albeit low seismic 1.5-1.5 quakes or the sulphur kills of bison and elk . Yellowstone is the largest volcano in the world with the largest magma chamber in the world . If it erupts it could literally blow the park cap off for hundreds of square miles . The ash would be the biggest threat to life on earth . Projections show it will wipe out a minimum of 11 states killing most people and animals within 200 miles of the epicenter,provoking a nuclear winter worldwide, destroying most crops burying many states in 2-4 ft of hot ash, The US would be literally on fire and in short it might be the reason we are not in bible prophecy? It doesn't matter because peripheral states not destroyed will not be prepared and survival will be extremely difficult . The mantle protection is eroding the park is bulging and life as we know it will be a hardship few of us affluenz'a can fathom or prepare for. Throw your parachute bracelets away....please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature