Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about our little creatures called Ants??

If you find them in your house are you the kind that acts all crazy and starts commiting murder left and right??

I know many like this and its very sad.......... They dont hurt ya,why kill them for nothing?

I cant fathom doing that..... They dont deserve to lose thier lives just cause they are inside..... I think its mean and cruel to be quite frank!!!! (How would human animals like to lose thier lives JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE IN SOMEONE ELSES HOUSE (Who owns a gun for example))

What are your views????? -- I do not commit murder when I see our Insect friends,i try at all costs not to harm them.... THIER LIVES AND JUST AS IMPORTANT AS OURS in the grand scheme of things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...ia_preview.php

Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Im quite serious

Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

If you find them in your house are you the kind that acts all crazy and starts commiting murder left and right??

I know many like this and its very sad.......... They dont hurt ya,why kill them for nothing?

I cant fathom doing that..... They dont deserve to lose thier lives just cause they are inside..... I think its mean and cruel to be quite frank!!!! (How would human animals like to lose thier lives JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE IN SOMEONE ELSES HOUSE (Who owns a gun for example))

What are your views????? -- I do not commit murder when I see our Insect friends,i try at all costs not to harm them.... THIER LIVES AND JUST AS IMPORTANT AS OURS in the grand scheme of things

Are you a fan of E. O. Wilson? If you're not familiar you probably should be. His studies of the importance of ants and other small creatures in creating successful biodiversity are fascinating.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

OMG are you male and single? I think I found my soul mate! LOL!!!!!!! I try to not kill anything. Who am I to make that decision? If ants come in my house, I make a barrier of baking soda to keep them out or use a non-toxic spray that they find distasteful to cross. I have so much respect for all species. Bugs included. Spiders are gently moved to the outdoors, unless it is too cold then they are allowed to winter in the garage.
If one takes the time to learn about each individual species of animal, insect, etc. they have no choice but to respect it and most times, be in awe of it.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I heard that you can mix baking soda and powdered sugar and snuff the little suckers with that.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:13 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I wonder if you would feel the same way about fire ants? Many ants, including fire ants, can deliver painful bites. Ants also love to eat our wooden houses and infrastructure. They would not think twice about eating us; if they could - there would be no debate. It is all about survival. It is one thing to say that you are not going out of your way to kill every living ant. It is another thing to just protect yourself and your property - they would and will.

One ant that has always amazed me is the Alleghany Mound Ants. We hear very little about these ambitious ants: Allegheny mound ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There is one place that I have counted one hundred of their mounds here in PA.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I wonder if you would feel the same way about fire ants? Many ants, including fire ants, can deliver painful bites. Ants also love to eat our wooden houses and infrastructure. They would not think twice about eating us; if they could - there would be no debate. It is all about survival. It is one thing to say that you are not going out of your way to kill every living ant. It is another thing to just protect yourself and your property - they would and will.

One ant that has always amazed me is the Alleghany Mound Ants. We hear very little about these ambitious ants: Allegheny mound ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There is one place that I have counted one hundred of their mounds here in PA.
Yes if it came down to me or them I would have to take action, serious action. I also have no love for fleas or ticks. One thing that bothers me, though, is that I have read that the many of the pesticides we use are just a mild form of nerve gas. I still feel bad for the little buggers.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Ants are certainly fascinating creatures with a level of sophistication and organization that is uncommon in nature. They are, indeed, awe inspiring. They are also not something that I'm willing to tolerate in my home or my yard. Of course, I don't tolerate chemical poisons in my home or yard either, so my remedy is generally limited to ensuring that my home is unsuitable habitat for ants and spraying any mounds to the ground with a garden hose. They will usually rebuild once or twice, but they don't tolerate repeated mound destruction and eventually move off the premises. I'm not really prepared to concede that this is even remotely akin to murder, but I can certainly understand a fascination with ants. Some are more fascinating than others, also.

I'll go out of my way to prevent disturbing a line of leafcutter ants doing what they do. Harvester ants I'm disinterested in... Seen lots of 'em and we don't bother one another. Fire ants, on the other hand, are worth a day of gathering aluminum scrap to melt and pour down a hole in their mound.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
...Fire ants, on the other hand, are worth a day of gathering aluminum scrap to melt and pour down a hole in their mound.
That makes an interesting sculpture.

When ants come into my house I give them a little treat to take back to their friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature