Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A run-in with an angry moose ended without injury for a pair of New Hampshire snowmobilers, but they say that the incident has changed how they think about wildlife.

Janis and Bob Powell saw the moose while snowmobiling outside Jackson, Maine, on Friday. They followed it on a trail for a few minutes, but it then came to halt.

Camera Captures New Hampshire Couple's Encounter With Angry Moose - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:46 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,651 times
Title should read "Natural Selection: Idiots almost killed by moose"

Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Moose seem to get so grumpy so quickly. I lived in a town that had a moose siren they would blast when one came into town. It was so people would look around and make sure they weren't irritating the surly animal. Moms would go check on their kids.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A run-in with an angry moose ended without injury for a pair of New Hampshire snowmobilers, but they say that the incident has changed how they think about wildlife.

Janis and Bob Powell saw the moose while snowmobiling outside Jackson, Maine, on Friday. They followed it on a trail for a few minutes, but it then came to halt.

Camera Captures New Hampshire Couple's Encounter With Angry Moose - ABC News
They followed it. That's their mistake. It then sees them as predators stalking it. It doesn't know they're just being stupid. It has no choice, but to defend itself.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
"One ton moose?" No moose that ever lived was that size. That moose was actually rather small, would estimate about 600-700 pounds. "He?" Looked like a cow to me. While was unable to view the genital area of the animal during the brief film clip for positive id, saw no signs of new antler buds on the forehead. After dropping their racks in late winter, bulls immediately start growing new antlers, and in late April the new sprouts would have been visible. Best guess is that the moose was a young cow, not quite fully mature.

One thing for sure is that moose can be very aggressive. Unlike most other herbivores, moose will often not flee from threats, but stand their ground and fight. A good sized mature moose, even a cow, more so a bull with a rack, that does not run but stands it's ground and vigourously defends itself, can back off a pack of wolves and keep them at bay. The wolves do not dare to close in and risk a kick from a powerful hoof that can smash bones. Some veteran outdoorsmen that have spent years in wild country with both moose and bears insist that they have had more close calls and problems with moose than they have had with bears, and fear moose more than they do grizzlys, the reasoning being that bears do not usually look for trouble and will avoid it if they can, while a cranky moose may not be so practical.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
If you run after a groundhog, away from it's hole, sooner or later it will turn and attack. Most animals will flee; but attack if they have no other recourse. It is just natural.

It would not surprise me if that snowmobile couple does not get charged. As far as I know; you are not allowed to harass wildlife with any vehicle. You are also not allowed to carry loaded weapons in any vehicle.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you run after a groundhog, away from it's hole, sooner or later it will turn and attack. Most animals will flee; but attack if they have no other recourse. It is just natural.

It would not surprise me if that snowmobile couple does not get charged. As far as I know; you are not allowed to harass wildlife with any vehicle. You are also not allowed to carry loaded weapons in any vehicle.
Well, if she has a New Hampshire permit to carry then she's definitely not in violation of any New Hampshire firearms laws *EDIT* - I may have to retract that statement as it seems that New Hampshire and Maine do not have a reciprocity agreement... I would agree that they may be burned at the stake to the tune of a misdemeanor wildlife harassment ticket, however.

I would add that I personally believe that a moose is not much like a groundhog. You have to push a groundhog to the point that it realizes it can't get away and the only way it's going to live is to fight. A moose, not so much. Moose are actually fairly cantankerous critters and I wouldn't characterize them as peaceful, necessarily. They just do whatever they think is the easiest way to end a confrontation. If that's to duck into the woods and run a quarter mile faster than you could run 50 yards, they'll do that. If they think they'll burn fewer calories by stomping you until they hear bones breaking and know you can't keep following them, they'll do that. They just aren't afraid of much and seem to be aware of how big and strong they are. In fact, I think you could make a case that a bull in rut, full to the brim with testosterone, (or a cow with a calf for that matter) is at the top of the list for last animals on earth that you want to have a surprise encounter with.

These people did a pretty stupid thing and they got really lucky. This could very easily have gone another direction.

Last edited by Cleonidas; 04-23-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
"One ton moose?" No moose that ever lived was that size. That moose was actually rather small, would estimate about 600-700 pounds. "He?" Looked like a cow to me. While was unable to view the genital area of the animal during the brief film clip for positive id, saw no signs of new antler buds on the forehead. After dropping their racks in late winter, bulls immediately start growing new antlers, and in late April the new sprouts would have been visible. Best guess is that the moose was a young cow, not quite fully mature.

One thing for sure is that moose can be very aggressive. Unlike most other herbivores, moose will often not flee from threats, but stand their ground and fight. A good sized mature moose, even a cow, more so a bull with a rack, that does not run but stands it's ground and vigourously defends itself, can back off a pack of wolves and keep them at bay. The wolves do not dare to close in and risk a kick from a powerful hoof that can smash bones. Some veteran outdoorsmen that have spent years in wild country with both moose and bears insist that they have had more close calls and problems with moose than they have had with bears, and fear moose more than they do grizzlys, the reasoning being that bears do not usually look for trouble and will avoid it if they can, while a cranky moose may not be so practical.
I think I see the antler buds when the husband runs from his snowmobile to hide behind his wife.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:32 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I'm sort of upset that the moose was just a calf, people need to learn a lesson. Are people really this crass?
The sad part is if the man shot and killed the moose it would have been justified. Where's the justice in stalking an animal until it gets upset and charges you, then you kill it and say it was the mooses' fault?

Daily News - Google News Archive Search

Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Well, if she has a New Hampshire permit to carry then she's definitely not in violation of any New Hampshire firearms laws *EDIT* - I may have to retract that statement as it seems that New Hampshire and Maine do not have a reciprocity agreement... I would agree that they may be burned at the stake to the tune of a misdemeanor wildlife harassment ticket, however.

I would add that I personally believe that a moose is not much like a groundhog. You have to push a groundhog to the point that it realizes it can't get away and the only way it's going to live is to fight. A moose, not so much. Moose are actually fairly cantankerous critters and I wouldn't characterize them as peaceful, necessarily. They just do whatever they think is the easiest way to end a confrontation. If that's to duck into the woods and run a quarter mile faster than you could run 50 yards, they'll do that. If they think they'll burn fewer calories by stomping you until they hear bones breaking and know you can't keep following them, they'll do that. They just aren't afraid of much and seem to be aware of how big and strong they are. In fact, I think you could make a case that a bull in rut, full to the brim with testosterone, (or a cow with a calf for that matter) is at the top of the list for last animals on earth that you want to have a surprise encounter with.

These people did a pretty stupid thing and they got really lucky. This could very easily have gone another direction.
I agree. But it also depends on the personality of some animals; even groundhogs or moose. I had a next door neighbor that lost a German Shepard to a groundhog years ago. It was one lucky lunge by the groundhog that scored the aorta in the neck of the Shepard.

We encountered a huge bull moose standing in the road up by Moosehead Lake. We were in a red Chevrolet Lumina and even knowing that deer are color blind; we did not want to take any chances (we were not sure if moose were color blind?). I had our car in reverse and were ready to do a speedy retreat. Cars and moose don't mix.

PS Whether she was licensed or not licensed; I am not crazy about people shooting warning shots into the air. We have no idea how close they were to civilization or other humans. I would be happier with shots discharged into the ground at a 45% or less angle - just for safety sake. There could be a state law about discharging a weapon without a "safe" backstop? I really did not look up New Hampshire laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature