Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,133,030 times

Advertisements

I have one. I went for a short run and when I got back maybe 45 minutes later it was laying there. It wasn't cold or broken but I don't know what to do with it. I couldn't find the nest anywhere.

I have had it for two days and it is still warm. Plus it now has a whitish line on it. It isn't hard as a rock which surprised me, so I have been careful about touching it.

Also, could be my imagination, but I swear it has moved a few times.

Any advice on how to care for it on the off chance it is fine and may actually hatch? I do know how to feed hatchlings but never had to deal with one right out of an egg because I have always found the nest.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 AM

533 posts, read 1,166,628 times
I would take it to a licensed wildlife rehabber/facility ASAP. They know the best ways to deal with it (and have the permits to do so).

Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 AM
bjh

59,919 posts, read 30,258,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
I would take it to a licensed wildlife rehabber/facility ASAP. They know the best ways to deal with it (and have the permits to do so).
Yes, take it to someone who knows what to do.

Would be funny if it turned out to be a pebble.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:27 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,858,542 times
I would try to hatch it and have a pet robin

Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I would try to hatch it and have a pet robin
Great idea! Or a pet rock/pebble!

It seems to be fertile so I have it in a high humidity tank and will see if it hatches. If it does then it will go to the rehabber I talked to.

I looked for the nest again and sadly just found two more eggs close to where the first one was. One was empty and the other was cracked and had a dead under developed embryo in it so I have to assume the nest was attacked.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,430,583 times
Hold the egg in front of a really bright light bulb and see what you can. Are you giving the egg some kind of warmth to keep warm and alive?

Old 05-07-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Hold the egg in front of a really bright light bulb and see what you can. Are you giving the egg some kind of warmth to keep warm and alive?
Yep! I actually foster (usually cats and dogs) but have had to temporarily care for (baby) birds, ducks/eggs (once had 12 ducklings in my bath tub!), squirrels, rabbits, reptiles, etc., so I am fortunate to have the proper equipment. Even though I have had a few baby robins, I have never had a robins egg before.

Since it is fertile it is at least 7 days old. So it looks like I will have a baby in approximately 7-9 days if it makes it. I am hoping a rehabber nearby has newborns when/if it happens because I do not want to do the feedings! Right now nobody has robin eggs, nor any mommy/eggs similar enough to add this egg to. I lose enough sleep when I take orphaned newborn kittens and puppies that I have to feed and that's usually only every two-four hours! Plus I never had to haul a bird to work before and don't know if it would survive that.

The funny part of having the egg here is that none of my foster cats and dogs have any interest after taking an initial sniff! The bird seems to be a little interested though. I think he knows what it is and he seems to be singing and talking to it. He has enjoyed "talking" to some of the temporary fledglings I have had.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM

533 posts, read 1,166,628 times
I would take it to the rehabber now. He/she has a permit to possess it.

Your heart seems to be in the right place, but any state game warden can cite you for possessing it without a permit and not taking it to the rehabber as soon as you found it. That's the best thing to do - not only to increase the bird's chances of hatching successfully, but to cover yourself under the law.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
I would take it to the rehabber now. He/she has a permit to possess it.

Your heart seems to be in the right place, but any state game warden can cite you for possessing it without a permit and not taking it to the rehabber as soon as you found it. That's the best thing to do - not only to increase the bird's chances of hatching successfully, but to cover yourself under the law.
This is great advice.

I have a someone who will take it next week.

Fortunately I am legal. The ducks in my bathtub were brought to me by animal control. I normally just take domestics and exotics. I only take wild life temporarily or for transport. I have only done eggs twice and they were a much larger bird that were transported the next day. Birds are way too hard unless you are set up specifically for bird rehab. Right now I have 9 dogs, 5 cats, 2 kittens and a domestic bird in my care so I hope that the egg doesn't hatch this weekend! I'd rather take 10 tube fed domestics over one wild fledgling, lol!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Just a quick update in case anyone was wondering. It's a boy!

I also rescued some baby ducks. OMG they are cute!

All of the babies are healthy and I am getting some much needed sleep thanks to the wonderful rehabber who took them all!

ETA: At least we think it's a boy lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature