U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:59 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,335,860 times

Advertisements

Invasive species are a problem everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I find it hugely ironic when people talk about invasive species.
Sure you do.

I bet wherever you live has walls, right? Your house or apartment has walls designed to keep the species that are native to your area out. And yet it's ironic when others speak of keep certain non-native species out of areas.

That's some irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,021,907 times
Based on my reading, the settlers in Maryland cut down the forests several times over, so we don't have huge trees like on the west coast. So the forested areas that we have are valuable and relatively young. Most visibly, they are at risk from invasive vines whichcan cover, strangle and pull them down. These are oriental bittersweet, japanese honeysuckle, porcelainberry, english ivy and maybe others that I'm not able to identify yet.

Trees take so long to grow, and they sequester carbon and make oxygen for mammals to breathe. Another big risk to the health of trees is the European garlic mustard. Besides its dangers to understory plants, it has a fungicide that kills the beneficial organisms in the soil that help large trees survive. Based on internet sources, the garlic mustard invasion has happened in the last 150 years. It is one of the invaders on my property, and I'm still battling it.

Other invasive plants that are devastating to plant and animal life in my area are European Phragmite and Japanese black pine. The phragmites starve wildlife by killing their food plants with allelopathic roots...it is also super hard to eradicate. I'm still irritated when I see black pine for sale via nurseries. There are many beautiful native pines that support the life on our continent. There are also many cultivars of native pines suitable for bonsai and other uses.

The invasive animals in my yard are the stink bug, like many have mentioned. They are a problem on my non-native fruit, but they also attack my native berry bushes. Japanese beetles are another problem, and birds do not seem to eat these ugly, nasty bugs. My neighbors honey bees also compete with my native insects for the nectar on all the awesome plants I've planted. I've seen more dead native bees since they got a new and the native bees are a lot less active.

NYIS
Invasive Plant Suppresses the Growth of Native Tree Seedlings by Disrupting Belowground Mutualisms
http://www.gridphilly.com/grid-magaz...in-philad.html
Once a Military Ally, Invasive Trees Threaten Del. Coast - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature