Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 10:23 AM

99 posts, read 71,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you're sure they're not just hanging out somewhere to molt, in which case they will return after a day or two, they are being predated by something. I have had both wasps and jumping spiders take my caterpillars. My recommendation is that you take at least a few caterpillars and raise them inside in containers where they will be safe. Don't put more than one in a mason jar or two or three in a larger container, because they get stressed if they are crowded.

This is the monarch disease, OE. If you see chrysalises that have green and black spots, destroy them (the least stressful way is to put them in the freezer overnight). If the butterflies are having trouble emerging from their chrysalises, or their wings do not fully expand or dry out curved or crumpled, those are also infected with OE. Please euthanize those butterflies--again, the freezer is best.

OE is not caused by anything you've done. It's passed on by adults to the offspring. You can read more about it here: OE spore .

I have had years where most of my caterpillars were infected with OE, and years when I hardly saw it. This has been a good year. Fewer caterpillars altogether, but they have all seemed to be healthy.

If your milkweed was toxic, you'd actually see dead caterpillars. I think the milkweed is probably fine.

I hope this helps!

By the way, I heard recently that the drought affecting California has actually been GOOD for monarchs, as more people are planting native, drought-resistant plants like milkweed. I was able to buy some nice plants from a vendor at the farmer's market who usually only has common garden flowers and vegetables.
(last paragraph)..........I just read an AP article in our Sunday paper this morning as to how the planting of more milkweed due to the California drought is helping the Monarch butterfly.

glad you brought it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 06:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you're sure they're not just hanging out somewhere to molt, in which case they will return after a day or two, they are being predated by something. I have had both wasps and jumping spiders take my caterpillars. My recommendation is that you take at least a few caterpillars and raise them inside in containers where they will be safe. Don't put more than one in a mason jar or two or three in a larger container, because they get stressed if they are crowded.

This is the monarch disease, OE. If you see chrysalises that have green and black spots, destroy them (the least stressful way is to put them in the freezer overnight). If the butterflies are having trouble emerging from their chrysalises, or their wings do not fully expand or dry out curved or crumpled, those are also infected with OE. Please euthanize those butterflies--again, the freezer is best.

OE is not caused by anything you've done. It's passed on by adults to the offspring. You can read more about it here: OE spore .

I have had years where most of my caterpillars were infected with OE, and years when I hardly saw it. This has been a good year. Fewer caterpillars altogether, but they have all seemed to be healthy.

If your milkweed was toxic, you'd actually see dead caterpillars. I think the milkweed is probably fine.

I hope this helps!

By the way, I heard recently that the drought affecting California has actually been GOOD for monarchs, as more people are planting native, drought-resistant plants like milkweed. I was able to buy some nice plants from a vendor at the farmer's market who usually only has common garden flowers and vegetables.
I keep a daily log which includes a day-count-number for each chrysalis and its condition and a caterpillar-count for caterpillars found (recording what each is doing, where it is, how big/small it is). I also note whatever else I see in the vicinity of the milkweeds (anoles, any crawling/flying insects, butterflies, evidence of chewed leaves on the milkweed or on the other plants in the garden, etc.). {Side note: while I'm out with my dog while he's doing his thing (which is investigating every blade of grass), logging info is a great way to occupy my time :-)} Since I find no hide-nor-hair of caterpillars the next morning, I'm guessing there's a predator having a good nighttime meal.

I really appreciate all the info about OE ... I now assume that's the issue. I've not seen any monarchs in the past days (no eggs, no caterpillars, no butterflies), so perhaps with fingers crossed the cycle might end. Should any caterpillars appear, not sure how unless eggs have been laid on something other than milkweed, I do have a box that is set up for butterflies and I can at least protect the caterpillars from predation and hope they aren't infected.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog Democrat View Post
(last paragraph)..........I just read an AP article in our Sunday paper this morning as to how the planting of more milkweed due to the California drought is helping the Monarch butterfly.
10 more states
Federal funds aim to boost migrating monarch butterflies - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,094 times
A few organizations in our area (southern Oregon) have been coming up with creative ways to contribute to the Monarch populations.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:37 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfilm View Post
A few organizations in our area (southern Oregon) have been coming up with creative ways to contribute to the Monarch populations.
That seems like a lost cause since Oregon and Washington both spray with BTK to control the Gypsy Moth infestation which threatens agriculture and forest products.

BTK is based on a bacteria that is not toxic to humans and most animals, but is toxic to all caterpillars regardless of what kind of moth or butterflies they may become.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
I just noticed last year how absolutely void of life my suburban backyard is. The most activity youll see is a squirrel here and there and maybe a pidgeon. Its a far cry from what Florida used to be...

Old 01-13-2016, 05:35 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
On another forum I read, I've learned that the monarch populaton increased significantly in Mexico this year. In fact there was a video showing a huge cloud of monarchs in one region.

So, things are looking up for Monarchs - this year, anyway.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I have been planting milkweed for the last 3 or 4 years. Have released many butterflies. The only place I buy my milkweed is the nursery that I know doesn't use pesticides. Never buy from the big box stores as they are treated with pesticides. Tropical milkweed is the most common here in SW Florida but read up on a butterfly disease called O.E. It causes deformities in their wings.

I never plant mine in the ground as they would be completely bare in a matter of days. After they have a lot of cats on them, I bring them into my covered screened lanai so they can eat, grow fat, make their chrysalis and then emerge. When their wings are dry and they are trying to fly I let them go outdoors as long as they can fly fairly high.

I keep about a dozen plants and rotate them in the lanai and outside so the monarch will lay their eggs. As soon as they have eaten a plant completely bare, I cut the stems back a little and they regrow pretty quickly.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:57 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
I 'fostered' a monarch butterfly cocoon once. I found it. I knew it was a cocoon, but not what kind, so I looked it up. I found out it was a monarch, and set it up for success, and watched.

Their cocoons are so pretty! They're kind of an opaque jade green color, and the 'zipper' (that they break out from) is gold. Not like "gold color". It looks like the metal, gold. I mean, really...that cocoon looked like a piece of jewelry.

So I taped the cocoon to a stick, and stuck the stick in one of my flower pots, so it'd have a soft place to land, in case for whatever reason, it fell before it's wings dried.

One Friday, the cocoon wasn't opaque anymore, and I could see the butterfly. Went to the country that day, and when we came back that Sunday, it had hatched and presumably moved on.

I guess I should call them chrysallis...not cocoons. Look them up...so pretty!

Old 07-24-2023, 05:08 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Many gardeners here are actively planting milkweed to support the monarch butterfly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature