Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:15 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Well on one hand the coyotes benefit from wolves but only northern wolves interbreed with them. Our wolves kill them. Quite effectively. The coyote population is halved in Yellowstone since the reintroduction.

And have you ever raised sheep by chance?
Exactly. The reason coyotes are a problem is their predators and competition, including wolves, were killed off by people in certain areas. Combine that with massive deforestation that turned forest into more open plains allowed coyotes to flourish. We turned coyotes into the main apex predator in much of the USA by hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Well on one hand the coyotes benefit from wolves but only northern wolves interbreed with them. Our wolves kill them. Quite effectively. The coyote population is halved in Yellowstone since the reintroduction.

And have you ever raised sheep by chance?
No , I'm a cattle and horse guy. There were quite a few sheepherders where I'm from. Lot of Basque. I do know that coyotes were a bane for them. Spring lambs are easy pickings. They had Great Pyranees herd dogs and , frequently, ran donkeys and , especially Llamas with their herds. Llamas are merciless with yotes. I've seen Llamas do a fine Bruce Lee on feral dogs and coyotes both. Thing of beauty to behold.

But I've never had occasion to run sheep. No. Nor have I faced wolves, as an adversary. Coyotes, Mountain lions, feral dogs and coydogs, and a bear, once, but he wasn't killing stock, just knocking over garbage cans and grain storage. Are you a sheep rancher , by chance?

The info I ran through on coywolves did say the phenomena was a NE/ MW thing. There are no reports of it going on out West, yet. Coydogs are a big issue here , where I am. They have become quite common, and many are extremely formidable animals. Large, fast, powerful and with a severely diminished respect for people.

Coyotes, hanging around our calving and foaling pastures are, usually convinced to go elsewhere with one or two.casualties. Not so Feral and coydogs. They run in larger groups, and, as I said.,don't scare as readily. I'm in no hurry to see wolves added to our mix, here. Not good country for them anyway. They are starting to pop up, here and there, way up North, on the Idahoe border. Jarbidge and Wild horse areas have had sightings.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Exactly. The reason coyotes are a problem is their predators and competition, including wolves, were killed off by people in certain areas. Combine that with massive deforestation that turned forest into more open plains allowed coyotes to flourish. We turned coyotes into the main apex predator in much of the USA by hunting.
The massive deforestation in the Northeast took place in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Our cities craved wood for heat, lumber and the tanning industry. Most pictures of the early 1900's show our hills stripped bare. In both the West and East you also had massive forest fires that many claimed were caused by the 'new' rail service. Even with our soaring population; we still have more forest than we did back then.

I mentioned the tanning industry. One town close to me is called Tannersville. The tanning industry would drop magnificent Hemlock trees to only strip the bark. Trapping proliferated at that time.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The massive deforestation in the Northeast took place in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Our cities craved wood for heat, lumber and the tanning industry. Most pictures of the early 1900's show our hills stripped bare. In both the West and East you also had massive forest fires that many claimed were caused by the 'new' rail service. Even with our soaring population; we still have more forest than we did back then.

I mentioned the tanning industry. One town close to me is called Tannersville. The tanning industry would drop magnificent Hemlock trees to only strip the bark. Trapping proliferated at that time.
There is a mountain outside Reno, called Peavine. It was once covered with huge, old growth Ponderosa pine trees. What's left of Virginia City, is all that remains of those trees, and the mountain is bare, to this day. It always seems to catch on fire, every summer, too, and a lot of the Lee side, that had some fine, old growth Mountain Mahogany has been hit hard, as well. Seems the fires are mostly man caused too. ATVs, careless campfires and chainsaws.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There is a mountain outside Reno, called Peavine. It was once covered with huge, old growth Ponderosa pine trees. What's left of Virginia City, is all that remains of those trees, and the mountain is bare, to this day. It always seems to catch on fire, every summer, too, and a lot of the Lee side, that had some fine, old growth Mountain Mahogany has been hit hard, as well. Seems the fires are mostly man caused too. ATVs, careless campfires and chainsaws.
I could never figure out California. I used to run truck to LA. Before I ran out there I always heard about how conscious they were about the environment. Then, my first trip out there, I see the smog, fires and especially the dirt bikes and Atv's. Sometimes the dust would be so heavy blowing across Interstate 15 that you could not see the road and that was just form the off road vehicles. It just struck me funny that any state could do so much talking about saving the environment and allow so much deliberate destruction.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I could never figure out California. I used to run truck to LA. Before I ran out there I always heard about how conscious they were about the environment. Then, my first trip out there, I see the smog, fires and especially the dirt bikes and Atv's. Sometimes the dust would be so heavy blowing across Interstate 15 that you could not see the road and that was just form the off road vehicles. It just struck me funny that any state could do so much talking about saving the environment and allow so much deliberate destruction.
Oh they talk, a lot, for sure. When the actually do something, its worse than when they started. My son and I drove down to Moro at in 2013 for the IRC revolver championships. This was when they shut the water off to save that bug eyed trash guppy, Delta Smelt. I've never seen anything like it. Millions of acres of farmland, nuts, avacadoes, fruit orchards, and the 40 mile desert twkxt Fallon and Lovelock is an oasis, by comparison now. Environmentalists at work. Burn our food and save the bug eyes , worthless guppy. Make a massive dust bowl out of some of our most productive farmland , the infrastructure of which, supports a lot of wildlife in addition to feeding us, for a fish, no bigger than a paperclip. Names tons of sense to someone, i guess.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:11 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No , I'm a cattle and horse guy. There were quite a few sheepherders where I'm from. Lot of Basque. I do know that coyotes were a bane for them. Spring lambs are easy pickings. They had Great Pyranees herd dogs and , frequently, ran donkeys and , especially Llamas with their herds. Llamas are merciless with yotes. I've seen Llamas do a fine Bruce Lee on feral dogs and coyotes both. Thing of beauty to behold.

But I've never had occasion to run sheep. No. Nor have I faced wolves, as an adversary. Coyotes, Mountain lions, feral dogs and coydogs, and a bear, once, but he wasn't killing stock, just knocking over garbage cans and grain storage. Are you a sheep rancher , by chance?

The info I ran through on coywolves did say the phenomena was a NE/ MW thing. There are no reports of it going on out West, yet. Coydogs are a big issue here , where I am. They have become quite common, and many are extremely formidable animals. Large, fast, powerful and with a severely diminished respect for people.

Coyotes, hanging around our calving and foaling pastures are, usually convinced to go elsewhere with one or two.casualties. Not so Feral and coydogs. They run in larger groups, and, as I said.,don't scare as readily. I'm in no hurry to see wolves added to our mix, here. Not good country for them anyway. They are starting to pop up, here and there, way up North, on the Idahoe border. Jarbidge and Wild horse areas have had sightings.
My grandpa, dad and several uncles raised sheep. I know they like to die.

Not sure why you are referring to it as a "respect for people", I think instinct would be probably be a better word. Kind of similar to why natural predators don't mess much with a porcupine but there are dogs that will repeatedly stick their faces in them. The natural instinct to be wary of that animal is diminished in domesticated animals. I would think it would be similar with humans. Even feral dogs that haven't been handled aren't too afraid of us.

We have plenty of wolves here and have had them for two decades now. Other than a few instances the overall depredation isn't too terrible. Only 100 animals last year. It does make it harder but not any harder than other issues (weather, illness, fire season is a big one when that happens). Biggest problem I see is people trying to use those stinking Great Pyranees on them. Anatolian shepherds or Kangals would be the best choice for larger predators. Do a google search of GPs and wolves and then do a google search of Kangals and wolves. World of difference.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
My grandpa, dad and several uncles raised sheep. I know they like to die.

Not sure why you are referring to it as a "respect for people", I think instinct would be probably be a better word. Kind of similar to why natural predators don't mess much with a porcupine but there are dogs that will repeatedly stick their faces in them. The natural instinct to be wary of that animal is diminished in domesticated animals. I would think it would be similar with humans. Even feral dogs that haven't been handled aren't too afraid of us.

We have plenty of wolves here and have had them for two decades now. Other than a few instances the overall depredation isn't too terrible. Only 100 animals last year. It does make it harder but not any harder than other issues (weather, illness, fire season is a big one when that happens). Biggest problem I see is people trying to use those stinking Great Pyranees on them. Anatolian shepherds or Kangals would be the best choice for larger predators. Do a google search of GPs and wolves and then do a google search of Kangals and wolves. World of difference.
Lol..."a "lack of respect for people", in the context I'm using the term, is sorta metaphorical. More like saying they hold us in disdain. Coyotes associate people with being shot at and vamoose, whereas coydogs and ferals , really, can't care. They ain't skeered. A, somewhat, humorous lending of a human quality to their attitude, as it were. I'm not one who insists on technically correct terminology , all the time. I'll write like I talk, so , in my head I'm hearing tonal qualities and inflection. Whereas , a reader doesn't.

The Pyranees are a common animal with the Basque herders. But, the Llamas are the best yote stompers I've ever seen, and donkeys ain't slouches either. They kick and stomp mud holes through the marauding caninjds. I'll do the recommended Google. Sound's interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature