U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:18 PM

2,570 posts, read 1,880,660 times

Advertisements

M6.6 Earthquake occurred on October 21, 2016 2:07PM local time in Central Tottori Prefecture. (Maximum Intensity: 6- in JMA Scale)
There is no tsunami warning issued from this event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:58 AM

64,978 posts, read 47,284,481 times
Yet another strong quake in Italy. Yikes.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:49 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,200,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yet another strong quake in Italy. Yikes.

Hi Cambium, the area near Marche and Umbria border already had two earthquakes in the evening of October 26th (5.4 and 5.9). The second one was felt strong here too (150 km northwards) and we had to ran out of our home. Villages in the Apennines near the epicenter were evacuated.

This morning earthquake was scary and stronger than the previous ones (6.5), home walls were shaking and it was a very bad feeling despite living far from the epicenter.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Hi Cambium, the area near Marche and Umbria border already had two earthquakes in the evening of October 26th (5.4 and 5.9). The second one was felt strong here too (150 km northwards) and we had to ran out of our home. Villages in the Apennines near the epicenter were evacuated.

This morning earthquake was scary and stronger than the previous ones (6.5), home walls were shaking and it was a very bad feeling despite living far from the epicenter.
Ugh, sorry you have to be dealing with this. I think I read somewhere scientists were predicting a big one.

What I dont get is why are the aftershocks stronger? Or is this the beginning of something bigger? Hope not !

Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 AM

1,380 posts, read 880,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ugh, sorry you have to be dealing with this. I think I read somewhere scientists were predicting a big one.

What I dont get is why are the aftershocks stronger? Or is this the beginning of something bigger? Hope not !
The situation is not completely clear, because the geological situation in there is really complicated, with several little seismic faults near one to the other and whose activities are strongly related. Since yesterday geologists said that the earthquakes of last Wednesday were related to a different fault than the one that caused the earthquake of August. Today instead they say that the new earthquake that happened this morning is related to a segment of the same fault that caused the August earthquake, just a little bit farther north.
In practice after each shakes the seismic fault move a little bit, and this movement can cause new tensions in another segment of the same fault or in another fault parallel to the first one. If the tension is too much, a new earthquake can happen, and nothing exclude that the new earthquake can be stronger than the first one (it all depends on the amount of accumulated energy, and we don't know how much energy is accumulated in that system of seismic faults, nor where it would eventually be released).
The situation is extremely complicated, and they can't predict an earthquake as they do with the weather forecast. Anyway, another strong earthquake on the same area is not impossible at all (the same area had events even stronger than this in the past centuries), and so the alert is really high. We can't exclude nothing right now.

Here there is a map of all the earthquakes and aftershocks since the 24th of August

Circles are earthquakes with a magnitude comprehended between 2.0 and 4.9 (the largest is the circle, the highest is the magnitude), the stars are the shakes with a magnitude >=5.0. The red star is the shake that happened this morning, the yellow and orange circles are the shakes in the last 24 and 72 hours respectively, while the blue ones are the oldest (since the 24th of August).

this is a map with the seismic faults system instead

This was the most "technical answer", personally instead I can only say that I shocked by this kind of events. Luckily I live far enough from that area, so I haven't fell any of those shakes until now, but still I fell really anxious and stressed just looking at the photo on the newspapers and watching the TV news I'm really afraid of earthquakes, and I can't neither imagine how it would be to have my home destroyed by one of those disaster, to live in a tent and to resist to the stress of the continuous earthquakes

Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 AM

1,232 posts, read 617,285 times
What worries me about the earthquakes in Italy is this.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 880,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
What worries me about the earthquakes in Italy is this.
I have the impression that the two phenomenons are not related, this is more related to volcanoes activity than to the seismic activity in the Apennines, in that cases little earthquakes are more the symptom of volcanic activity. Anyway, the Vesuvio and the campi Flegrei are constantly monitored and, luckily, volcanoes are (usually) much more predictable than earthquakes.
The INGV (national institute of geophysics and volcanology) makes a weekly report of the Campi Flegrei's situation (recording earthquakes associated to volcanism, changes in terrain elevation, composition and quantity of emitted gasses), and right now the situation seems quite stable.

The last report: http://www.ov.ingv.it/ov/bollettini-...2016_10_25.pdf

Also, it is not certain if the next volcanic phenomenon will cause an Apocalipse on a continental level. That area had several eruption, the last one in the XVI century, but only two of them were destructive on continental/global levels (15 000 and 39 000 years ago respectively).
It was estimated that the probability that it will erupt in such a destructive way within the next century is more or less the 1%

Old 10-30-2016, 10:14 AM

11,482 posts, read 5,902,346 times
There was an earthquake in the sea to the east of Malta this morning too, I didn't feel anything but many did apparently...
Earthquake - Magnitude 4.5 - CENTRAL MEDITERRANEAN SEA - 2016 October 30, 09:27:08 UTC

Old 11-13-2016, 04:29 AM

15,858 posts, read 12,432,926 times
Just had a severe earthquake here about 20 mins ago. A 6.8, and at a depth of 16km. Centred about 200km SE of here Shaking lasted about 90 seconds and strong enough to need to hold on to something. Three aftershocks since then.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Just had a severe earthquake here about 20 mins ago. A 6.8, and at a depth of 16km. Centred about 200km SE of here Shaking lasted about 90 seconds and strong enough to need to hold on to something. Three aftershocks since then.
Wow! I just saw a 7.3 preliminary measure.

SuperMoon tomorrow! Closest Full moon this century! Next one is 2034
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature