Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:17 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

We have a dating dining programme here in the UK.. where one man or woman goes on a date with three of the opposite sex for a meal and entertainment ... one girl brought out her pet snake and let it slither over the table.. I felt sick and Im not sure if the man wanted to run for the door.. he didnt look happy.. I found it a filth and horrible thing to do and why, ....would you put your dog up on the table too while someone was eating..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 129,874 times
Snakes are disgusting. Just repulsive.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:58 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We have a dating dining programme here in the UK.. where one man or woman goes on a date with three of the opposite sex for a meal and entertainment ... one girl brought out her pet snake and let it slither over the table.. I felt sick and Im not sure if the man wanted to run for the door.. he didnt look happy.. I found it a filth and horrible thing to do and why, ....would you put your dog up on the table too while someone was eating..

Just my opinion. I do not believe a person like that should be allowed to own a snake.
While there is very little health risk, outside the possibility of contracting salmonella if you bite the snake, there is a danger of what a person might do out of fear. I could envision some one easily hurting them self trying to get away from an unexpected snake.

A person who has a snake needs to be aware of the intense fear it can cause in other people. That is nothing to toy with or underestimate. There is no joy in deliberately scaring other people, at best it is juvenile, at worse it could cause a death or serious injury.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
1) They're reptiles - reptiles don't get much love, period.

2) Unlike almost all other reptiles (and unlike almost all other large - ie, non-insect/arachnid - animals), many snakes are poisonous, further degrading their reputation.

3) Then there's that silly story of the snake that is central to Christianity mythology.

Hey, I like snakes. But let's face it - they're a PR nightmare!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Snakes and spiders, people are scared.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 PM

387 posts, read 355,935 times
Spiders actually have a much more "undeserving bad rep" than Snakes do....Venomous Spiders almost never kill people (even young children) and even the "most deadly" Spiders like the Australian Funnel Web and the Brazilian Wandering Spider give mostly mild bites that don't require hospitalization.

Spider Myths: If it bites you're doomed!

and here

Spider Myths: Ours are deadlier than yours

Spiders of any type are just not that dangerous to healthy human beings....Even when their bites are completely untreated...I like how the website goes into the "nationalistic" aspect of the "our insert blah blah blah is more deadly than your" which is obviously apparent when you do research into the subject (Australians are the most guilty)....

I would say that most venomous animals are "overrated" in terms of how much damage they can do to an Adult Healthy Human being....It's only really Snakes that can devastate even adult humans with not much trouble...They have conducted a few studies on Box Jellyfish stings (another overrated animal) and they found that the vast majority of stings in Humans are mild and most don't even require hospitalization....Nothing like the so called "most venomous animal" that people have claimed it is.....

My point is....If you are going to be afraid of a venomous creature....Snakes are the most logical one to be afraid of....not because they are more aggressive than other venomous creatures or out to get you (they aren't), but because their bites (in the most dangerous snake species) are by far the most likely to be fatal relative to bites/stings of other venomous animals...

I think Australians love to hype up their venomous animals (like Americans do with our military) but I don't see the hype....If anything I think Asia/Africa have the deadliest Snakes and venomous creatures...

Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Most Vipers/Pit Vipers (not all) have low mortality rates even when untreated...That's because their venom doesn't generally cause systemic symptoms in Adult humans it usually just causes intense local swelling/damage and in severe cases gangrene and necrosis (which can require skin grafts and in rare cases amputation)....

Snakes like Puff Adders, Fer De Lances, Rattlesnakes won't usually kill you (even if untreated), but can cause some horrifying damage to the bite area....Look what happened to Bear Gryll's producer when he accidentally stepped on a Fer De Lance snake in Costa Rica....Getting a severe bite from one of these snakes (Rattlesnake, Puff Adder, Fer De Lance) is basically the equivalent to throwing a bucket of acid on the bite area....You won't be dead, but the bite and surrounding area will be damaged for good..

Fer De Lance bite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeUvpdkn4cE

Puff Adder bite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xloRgtIkOHc

As you can see...Not usually life threatening, but nasty as hell

On the other hand most Elapid snakes (not all) kill by paralysing the diaphragm through neurotoxic venom so if you can get the victim on a ventilator (assisted breathing machine) or give him Anti-venom you can usually save their life and they will likely have no long term damage from the bite (once the neurotoxin is cleared from the body they will be able to breathe on their own)....

I would take a neurotoxic Black Mamba bite over a Puff Adder/Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake bite anyday of the week....Because in the year 2015 we have the proper medical technology (Ventillators) to defeat the Mambas method of killing...and like most Elapids (not all) if you survive the neurotoxin you usually have no long term damage at all from the bite.....Take a bite from a snake with Cyto-toxic venom like the Vipers I listed (destroys cells) and you won't die, but you might wish you had....

Of course there are exceptions in both Vipers and Elapids....Some Vipers can cause systematic life threatening blood disorders and kidney failure (Russell's Viper, Some types of Rattlesnakes etc) with their Venom's and some Elapids cause extremely painful bites that cause skin and tissue necrosis (Spitting Cobras).....
Thank you for clarifying. This cements my fear for venomous snakes. Seriously, if I got a wound like the ones pictured, I might prefer to die.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Thank you for clarifying. This cements my fear for venomous snakes. Seriously, if I got a wound like the ones pictured, I might prefer to die.
me too... probably would have with the shock of the bite... so how can these things be seen as beautiful.. its beyond me..

Old 03-28-2015, 02:40 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
me too... probably would have with the shock of the bite... so how can these things be seen as beautiful.. its beyond me..
Here in the USA one of the most useful and loved things causes an ubelievable amount of death, destruction and maiming.

How can some one own something that causes an average of 117 deaths per day in the USA alone and many more serious and crippling injuries, yet nearly every household has at least one and the owner often believes it is the epitome of beauty.

I am speaking of the automobile

Why doesn't the automobile elicit the same level of fear that snakes do? They are responsible for many more deaths and injuries. Virtually every American has had a family member either killed or injured by an automobile.

There must be some other factors that elict such fear snakes.. The physically reasons to fear snakes exists to a much greater degre in the automobile. But, that level of fear does not exist in regards to the automobile.

Perhaps, the fear is not there because we are familiar with and knowledgeable about automobiles?

Old 03-28-2015, 03:07 AM

Isnt that a silly comparison.. you cant measure an animal that a lot of people cant stand against a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature