Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,356,282 times

Advertisements

Very disgusting creatures. I absolutely hate snakes and thankfully there aren't any in my area. Nothing likeable about them imho ...just Gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs up I like snakes!

More accurately, I don't know that I like snakes, but I really hate mice and chipmunks, and since snakes eat them, I'm always happy to see snakes.

It helps that we have almost no venomous snakes in my state, so all I ever see around here are fat and happy garter snakes and the occasional eastern milk snake pretending to be a rattler.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I've always been intrigued by snakes, though they're not my favorite creature. That doesn't mean I hate them, though.

I stroked a few large snakes when I was a child, and they were very smooth. I think their markings are very interesting, too. That said, I don't want to be around them and I sure don't want to be startled by one.

Maybe it's the way they move. In that regard, there's nothing creepier than a black mamba. I've seen film of them, and they almost look like they're walking. I guess they "rear up" more than some others. Yikes.

Enjoy your snakes.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:05 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
No I was living in Louisiana at the time. I used to catch snakes for Ross Allen who was in Coral Springs Florida. With the copper heards and Rattlesnakes I would just milk them and send him the venom. It was a way to make a few dollars during my college years. Actually paid pretty good used to get $85 dollars an ounce for Rattlesnake venom, to put it in perspective gold was going for about $35 an ounce at the time.
Thanks, I've never kept a snake because my mother would never come to my house and visit lol.

However, I've read EXTENSIVELY including being a lurker on the kingsnake venomous forum for ages so I've heard a lot.

I finally got to see a lachesis muta muta at the reptile center in the northern chicago suburbs a couple years ago. That was a real treat. (aka Bushmaster)

He also had a king cobra a mamba or two and lots and lots more.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
I like snakes, too, but my mom hated snakes and spiders, so she never let me keep them as pets. Dad knew I liked snakes, so he caught one for me, and we hid it from Mom. It eventually escaped, though. I think I might have left the container open.

I guess snakes get such a bad reputation because, like others have said:

Tradition (everyone remembers the serpent mentioned in the Bible and in various other religious texts)
Human instinct (some humans, I guess; we aren't all afraid of snakes and spiders)
Ignorance (lots of people can't tell a poisonous snake from a non-poisonous one)

I can't stand where I am right now. I'm surrounded by snake-haters who use the BIBLE to justify their hatred of snakes. I don't even know what to say... it's 2015, guys...

Old 03-16-2015, 08:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Just my own observations,
People fear that which they do not understand.
This fear is an unpleasant emotion and what we find unpleasant we counter with hate

Old 03-16-2015, 11:30 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Being a lover of snakes, I just cant see why people have so much hatred towards these amazing animals. Is it ignorance? I find snakes to be one of the most forgiving animals in the entire animal kingdom. By that I mean they usually flee, and give ample warning that theyre upset, well before they bite. And even then their bites are mild, and even venomous snakes hesitate to inject venom (aka a "dry bite").

If you despise snakes, can I ask why it is that you do? I often find that those who educate themselves about snakes usually end up developing a soft spot for snakes. I would encourage you to do the same.
Same reason people the same way about shark
I grew up in Venezuela and went to the beach a million times
I've never been afraid of shark... now jellyfish, that's a different story.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:28 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
For me it's a true phobia---in other words, an irrational fear. I know that most I would encounter are harmless and would rather not be around me, anyway. But they just cause a revulsion in me that is extreme. My stepfather was abusive and once picked up a snake when we were out in a park and hit me across the face with it---don't know if that has anything to do with it. I can't even look at photos of them. or talk about them---uh, it's beginning to creep me out right now so better stop before I have nightmares......

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
Very disgusting creatures. I absolutely hate snakes and thankfully there aren't any in my area. Nothing likeable about them imho ...just Gross.
thank you.. we agree..... and its nothing to do with ignorance as some seem to think... one of my grandkids shrinks back in fear from a toy one.. so its in some people not to like shapes of animals..and not from me by the way, its a baby... another grandson used to take the shakes at spaghetti when he was six months old ... even if the horrible disgusting things smiles with long eyelashes Id still detest them.... and why I love visits to Ireland so much... I can trudge through long grasses and shrubs without worry..

Old 03-17-2015, 03:50 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
For me it's a true phobia---in other words, an irrational fear. I know that most I would encounter are harmless and would rather not be around me, anyway. But they just cause a revulsion in me that is extreme. My stepfather was abusive and once picked up a snake when we were out in a park and hit me across the face with it---don't know if that has anything to do with it. I can't even look at photos of them. or talk about them---uh, it's beginning to creep me out right now so better stop before I have nightmares......
I wont allow even toy ones in the house... hate the shape and look.. and Ive had many nightmares about them..oh god what a sad man your stepdad was... sick..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature