Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:49 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,393,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do not think the Australian Aborigines have any cultural fear of snakes although at least 90% of the snakes in Australia are venomous.
Also notice that Japanese fishermen have no fear of sea snakes and simply pick them out of their nets and toss them back in the water, although all sea snakes are extremely venomous and closely related to cobras.

Sea snakes may be highly venomous, but they are said to be not terribly aggressive, and no doubt those fishermen know what they're doing.

I'd be wary of any venomous snake. And even non-venomous ones can bite if you get careless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,377,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Being a lover of snakes, I just cant see why people have so much hatred towards these amazing animals. Is it ignorance?
Hollywood makes them scary.

People get freaked out my spiders too. I like to think a good population of spiders and snakes keep the insects and mice away.

All part of the ecosystem.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,818,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
They make me feel sick, horrible wriggly things with no legs and eyes that dont close.. oh just the thought of them gives me the shudders... I cant understand anyone liking them..

God, me too ! There is nothing to like about them, they are sneaky, ugly creatures.

An old Aesop's Fable sums it up for me: " A man was out walking on a cold, snowy day and found a snake frozen. He felt compassion for it and carried it home and laid it by the fireplace to warm it. Miraculously, the snake came back to life and the man picked it up. It was then that the snake bit him."

As the man laid there dying he said to the snake, "I saved your life, why would you kill me ?" To this the snake replied, "You knew I was a snake when you brought me home but you still did it !"

The only good snake is a dead snake !

Don

Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,420,555 times
Personally I live in an area with Water Moccasins. Theyre HIGHLY venomous. If you catch them at the wrong time of year (mating season) theyre also HIGHLY aggressive. They will literally chase you. So when you see any other snake moving quickly your immediate reaction is to freak out.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:29 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,818,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Personally I live in an area with Water Moccasins. Theyre HIGHLY venomous. If you catch them at the wrong time of year (mating season) theyre also HIGHLY aggressive. They will literally chase you. So when you see any other snake moving quickly your immediate reaction is to freak out.
Yep, I live in Florida and Water Mocs are just crazy ! We have had them try to come into our boat when we were fishing, and also start eating the fish we had on a stringer.

A man I know had one drop out of a tree into his boat and he blew a hole in the bottom of the boat when he blasted it with his shotgun ! Nasty creatures for sure !

Don

Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 AM

18,524 posts, read 18,717,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep, I live in Florida and Water Mocs are just crazy ! We have had them try to come into our boat when we were fishing, and also start eating the fish we had on a stringer.

A man I know had one drop out of a tree into his boat and he blew a hole in the bottom of the boat when he blasted it with his shotgun ! Nasty creatures for sure !

Don
oh my god its getting worse.... coming into boats too... sneaky wee horrors..

Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM

7,722 posts, read 12,608,784 times
They are just disgusting to me. They creep me out more then any other animal. The way they can move and slither along the Earth without legs is strange.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,393,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
They are just disgusting to me. They creep me out more then any other animal. The way they can move and slither along the Earth without legs is strange.

See, to me that's just fascinating design at work. But I'm not taking you to task for your fears.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:16 AM

10,086 posts, read 6,411,385 times
I'd much rather have a non-venomous snake around my yard than a black widow spider (both are common where I live). In fact, I MISS the rat snake that used to live in my old garage - never had a mouse problem while he was there. I'd stamp my feet whenever I came inside the building and he would hide under the workbench platform. Occasionally he would crawl outside and wrap himself around the trunk of a butterfly bush and sun himself - I could stroke his back and he would just lie there. Later he moved to the hollowed-out trunk of my mulberry tree and I guess he died there (haven't seen him in a while). Now, I have to get a durned barn cat for the garage, 'cause I'm not about to set traps out there.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,324,143 times
Quote:
I do not think the Australian Aborigines have any cultural fear of snakes although at least 90% of the snakes in Australia are venomous.
I was going to bring up the aborigines as a counter example. It is ironic that their mythological snake, the rainbow snake, is not only the creator of their word, but a protector of water sources (so essential on a desert continent) and even a healer.

Quote:
IAlso notice that Japanese fishermen have no fear of sea snakes and simply pick them out of their nets and toss them back in the water, although all sea snakes are extremely venomous and closely related to cobras.
I didn't know anything about snakes in Japanese mythology or worldview so I looked up this short but interesting article Caution: there is an illustration at the link that may be NSFW:

The Snake in Japanese Myth. - Senju Horimatsu Irezumi | Senju Horimatsu Irezumi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature