Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,905,159 times

Advertisements

Being a lover of snakes, I just cant see why people have so much hatred towards these amazing animals. Is it ignorance? I find snakes to be one of the most forgiving animals in the entire animal kingdom. By that I mean they usually flee, and give ample warning that theyre upset, well before they bite. And even then their bites are mild, and even venomous snakes hesitate to inject venom (aka a "dry bite").

If you despise snakes, can I ask why it is that you do? I often find that those who educate themselves about snakes usually end up developing a soft spot for snakes. I would encourage you to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

9,339 posts, read 13,919,210 times
Why do so many despise snakes? It is ignorance (lack of real knowledge), and the fact that there are a lot of scary myths involving snakes. Plus many people cannot understand on any level how they move, and it freaks them out.

They are truly beautiful animals, a part of nature. But that does not mean that they should not be respected, since the poisonous ones are not at all user friendly.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,101,110 times
Most people would find them hard to pet. They seldom reach a point like a dog or cat where they can run around the house and play with others.

Yes, they are beautiful, but they are not what most people desire as "a pet". A lot of animals are great animals, but not everyone wants them near.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,613,989 times
Sadly, I think that it's the fault of myths and misconceptions passed along from generation to generation. I love snakes and take time to observe them in the field and photograph them whenever possible. They are beautiful, amazing, and fascinating creatures that play a key role in an ecosystem and are extremely beneficial to humans, both economically and directly, by keeping rodent populations in check (the same rodents that destroy crops and carry debilitating diseases such as Lyme).

I think that, in general, as people become less aware of their connection with the ecosystems that provide their food, they also gain more of an apathy and even disdain for creatures that they see as 'lower forms of life' (of which there is no such thing).

I also believe that some people feel no connection to an animal that they cannot assign anthropomorphic qualities to, which again makes people devalue the animal.

The only remedies for this are education and awareness. I believe that this is increasing, and I hope that it will continue to increase.

Last edited by NJmmadude; 03-16-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times
Another snake lover chiming in.
Before you ask, Yes I have been bitten numerous times but only 4 times by venemous ones and every time it was my own fault, showing off in my younger years. The venomous snakes were all copperheads and I got careless with them as they were very docile however I was trying to milk them and because they were easy to handle I became careless.

Typically snakes are too easy to avoid to consider them a major danger. Just watch what you are doing any you are not very likely to ever git bit by one. Very few if any snake bites occur, unless the peron has actually touched the snake first.
They really are beautiful creatures. I do not rccommend them as pets, because they are much more interesting in their natural habitat

Old 03-16-2015, 02:53 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,639,727 times
They're the aspect of Satan!!!

Bad PR. Same reason rats with furry tails, better known as squirrels - are considered cute.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 PM

37,734 posts, read 40,776,995 times
For me, I don't like surprises.

If someone hands me a non-venomous snake I'm fine with that.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:28 PM

18,438 posts, read 18,551,251 times
They make me feel sick, horrible wriggly things with no legs and eyes that dont close.. oh just the thought of them gives me the shudders... I cant understand anyone liking them..

Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,174,688 times
I have no beef with snakes. I find them fascinating and hate when I hear about someone killing a snake that posed no harm.

That said, snakes occupy a role in the human psyche that places them in an adversative role to humanity. This is reflected in mythologies and social constructs throughout the world's cultures from Europe to Africa, to Asia, and the Americas.

It may have to do with the fact that venomous varieties were hard to detect, move fast without limbs, and could get you from the grass or drop on you from a tree limb.

Of course the majority of snakes are harmless, but somewhere in human history, a wariness of snakes was clearly built-in.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:44 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have no beef with snakes. I find them fascinating and hate when I hear about someone killing a snake that posed no harm.

That said, snakes occupy a role in the human psyche that places them in an adversative role to humanity. This is reflected in mythologies and social constructs throughout the world's cultures from Europe to Africa, to Asia, and the Americas.

It may have to do with the fact that venomous varieties were hard to detect, move fast without limbs, and could get you from the grass or drop on you from a tree limb.

Of course the majority of snakes are harmless, but somewhere in human history, a wariness of snakes was clearly built-in.
I do not think the Australian Aborigines have any cultural fear of snakes although at least 90% of the snakes in Australia are venomous.
Also notice that Japanese fishermen have no fear of sea snakes and simply pick them out of their nets and toss them back in the water, although all sea snakes are extremely venomous and closely related to cobras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature