U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 09:02 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times

Advertisements

Wild animals belong in the wild. They are not here for our entertainment. Circuses are beginning to eliminate elephant acts and places like Seaworld need to be held accountable.

Former Orca Trainer For SeaWorld Condemns Its Practices : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,854,412 times
Whales and dolphins (even sharks) has fascinated me since I was 5 years old (that's a long time). I oppose any
of these whales and dolphins being held captive for entertainment purposes. If there are some injured animals,
a sanctuary is a different story.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:02 PM

14,165 posts, read 11,639,437 times
These animals, they ate not just "animals". They , I believe, are sentient beings. With obtains that size, and the advanced adaptations they have, how could they not be sentient? With that, comes a huge array of emotions, including anger , resentment, even hatred. Big corporations, like SeaWorld and Six Flags, it not about anything buy making money, with an out for any and all accountability. When bad things happen, and people die or are maimed, it always the person who got hurts fault. Its never a family of corporate policy.

Safety departments, in house, are tasked with making sure that's how it rolls. They are nothing more than a buffer, twixt management and any accountability for death and injury. Really, how blatant can it be? Saying they didn't realize trainers have dangerous jobs?! Please! What could possibly be dangerous about working with 2ton , aquatic predators, with off the charts intelligence, in the water? Just kiddy games, you bet.

I've been in the water with dolphins. Open ocean and pool. They could kill you, in a heartbeat, but they don't, ever, intentionally harm a human. Even though they have no reason to have any love for us, they just don't become hostile. Orcas , not so much. Its the difference between dogs and wolves. Ones with super intelligence. Orcas aren't the pacifists that dolphins are.

I bad a chance to have a good chat with a gal at Six Flags, who is a dolphin trainer. She says its not an act. The dolphins are partners, not slaves. They work up an agreement, the trainers and the animals. She had been working with dolphins for years, and she told me there isn't enough money to get her to work with Orcas. Not a chance. Don't blame her a bit. Its about time we started treating dolphins and whales like the intelligent beings they are. Its just slavery, under a different pretext, how the corporate suits run things.

I've become wholly disillusioned with the lack of regard for workers that they perpetuate. Just another wear part in the machine. The trainer that was killed in FL, was just another problem that needed sweeping under. They were way more concerned about the bad press, loss of revenue, possible loss of "their" whale, and the expensive changes that had to be done, than they were about the gals life.

Its high time things get rethunk, and put some precedence for life over CEO bonuses and perks. Its good this guys coming forward. Maybe more will follow.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 PM

716 posts, read 956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
These animals, they ate not just "animals". They , I believe, are sentient beings. With obtains that size, and the advanced adaptations they have, how could they not be sentient? With that, comes a huge array of emotions, including anger , resentment, even hatred. Big corporations, like SeaWorld and Six Flags, it not about anything buy making money, with an out for any and all accountability. When bad things happen, and people die or are maimed, it always the person who got hurts fault. Its never a family of corporate policy.

Safety departments, in house, are tasked with making sure that's how it rolls. They are nothing more than a buffer, twixt management and any accountability for death and injury. Really, how blatant can it be? Saying they didn't realize trainers have dangerous jobs?! Please! What could possibly be dangerous about working with 2ton , aquatic predators, with off the charts intelligence, in the water? Just kiddy games, you bet.

I've been in the water with dolphins. Open ocean and pool. They could kill you, in a heartbeat, but they don't, ever, intentionally harm a human. Even though they have no reason to have any love for us, they just don't become hostile. Orcas , not so much. Its the difference between dogs and wolves. Ones with super intelligence. Orcas aren't the pacifists that dolphins are.

I bad a chance to have a good chat with a gal at Six Flags, who is a dolphin trainer. She says its not an act. The dolphins are partners, not slaves. They work up an agreement, the trainers and the animals. She had been working with dolphins for years, and she told me there isn't enough money to get her to work with Orcas. Not a chance. Don't blame her a bit. Its about time we started treating dolphins and whales like the intelligent beings they are. Its just slavery, under a different pretext, how the corporate suits run things.

I've become wholly disillusioned with the lack of regard for workers that they perpetuate. Just another wear part in the machine. The trainer that was killed in FL, was just another problem that needed sweeping under. They were way more concerned about the bad press, loss of revenue, possible loss of "their" whale, and the expensive changes that had to be done, than they were about the gals life.

Its high time things get rethunk, and put some precedence for life over CEO bonuses and perks. Its good this guys coming forward. Maybe more will follow.
Really? Dolphins 'aggressively' tried to push swimmer underwater off coast of Ireland | Daily Mail Online

Might wanna read that.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 PM

4,881 posts, read 4,854,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Read it and the article said that it was a solitary dolphin plus they were not sure if he was playing
or feeling amorous.

Other dolphin attacks:
What's Behind Spike in Gulf Coast Dolphin Attacks?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM

14,165 posts, read 11,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I was speaking of the SeaWorld "show" dolphins, but that was a broad statement. Still, even wild dolphins are known more for not being aggressive with humans , though, it is their ocean. My son and I were snorkeling off Malokini, Maui coast, and had a small pack of Spinners come cruising up with us. They just checked us out, showed off their superior swimming abilities. They got pretty close, but not touching distance.

It was pretty cool. We could hear their echo location. High pitched, rapid clicking, almost electronic sounding. Almost a buzzing sound. The Spinners ate a lot smaller than Bottlenoses. Still powerful critters though. Certainly not to be taken for granted. We weren't about to tty touching them , even if they had gotten close enough. There's laws about that kind of thing too. "Harassment of marine life", I believe its termed, and if you get teamed or drowned because of trying it, its your bad. If yon live, its a healthy fine, as well.

Anyway, thanks for the link. Any misconceptions I wrote were not intentional attempts to spread misinformation. But, I love dolphins, so I'm a bit barn blind.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Wild animals belong in the wild. They are not here for our entertainment. Circuses are beginning to eliminate elephant acts and places like Seaworld need to be held accountable.

Former Orca Trainer For SeaWorld Condemns Its Practices : NPR
What makes it okay for humans to keep one species in captivity but not another?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:11 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,349,291 times
Look at seaworlds past..those whales have killed quite a few trainers/performers...

Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 4,398 times
Just throwing it out there, it's not ok for us to keep either species in captivity, but orcas are so much bigger and require so much more space, it's just that much crueler to keep them. They have been known to travel thousands of miles in the wild (There are also groups that stay in localized areas, but that's their CHOICE). That being said, I've also got some good news. Sea world has FINALLY given in to pressure, and will no longer be breeding orcas at any of its facilities. The ones living there now, unfortunately, will remain there for the rest of their lives. But thank the goddess, they will be the last generation to suffer such indignity. A big thank you to all the different groups that hounded sea world into making the right choice. I had tears in my eyes when I heard this news. It may seem like a small thing, but think about it. Sea world gave up their mascot. How absolutely wonderful a first step.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 PM

278 posts, read 390,564 times
Found this interesting: "On his injuries from being a trainer"

"I've had major sinus surgery here in New York, where they had to cut out scar tissue in all four compartments of my sinuses and saw away bone because so many years of being exposed to the cold water had caused my bones to thicken in my skull. I have major cartilage destruction in both of my knees and in my back. I've lacerated my face to the skull — 17 stitches to close up. I've broken my foot; I've broken toes; I've broken fingers; I've broken my ribs two times. I've been treated for thoracic strain ... but I have a laundry list of injuries and they're only going to get worse. I'm 41 years old now, and I have these injuries."

Now to me it is insane to "work with" a killer whale, and just like working with a shark, lion, cheetah, etc. They are too big and strong. People personify them like they are living in Charlotte's Web, or the Jungle Book, and they attach biased human interpretations of what emotions the whales have. Companies should understand this and not allow people to work with them.

I do believe whales have emotions, but I don't believe any human can accurately interpret them. They are too big for a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature