U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:16 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,630,244 times

Advertisements

^^^
HomeIsWhere and Almrausch you may be interested in watching the PBS Nature Documentary
"The Urban Elephant." (2000) It has a few stories, including Shirley and Jenny's story who ended
up at the sanctuary.
(it's on YouTube).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,465,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
^^^
HomeIsWhere and Almrausch you may be interested in watching the PBS Nature Documentary
"The Urban Elephant." (2000) It has a few stories, including Shirley and Jenny's story who ended
up at the sanctuary.
(it's on YouTube).
Thanks baileyvpotter thanks for that link.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 AM

119,084 posts, read 13,778,769 times
Quote:
^^^
up at the sanctuary.
(it's on YouTube).
baileyvpotter thank you very much. I definitely will search for it.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:40 PM

This is really fierce...and should teach us humans how to behave.

Brave Buffalos Save Baby Elephant From Hungry Lions

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/br...ons/vi-BBItNzJ

Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:

up at the sanctuary. (it's on YouTube).
Thanks again Bailey, when I first read this it rang a distant bell in my head but I couldn't really put my finger on it but then as I saw her caretaker Solomon it slowly returned to me and it was finalized when Shirley was joined by Jenny...

Thanks for bringing it back to my 'gray matter'.

Also, sincere apologies to current aficionados here on the elephant page as I am pretty sure this old news to you all and thank you for graciously allowing me to 'visit and participate'.

Best regards,

Homeiswhere...

Asian Elephants Shirley

Shirley was born in 1948. At age five, she was captured from the wilds of Asia and purchased by Dori Miller, owner of Carson and Barnes and Kelly Miller Circuses. In 1958, while the Kelly-Miller circus was traveling through Cuba, Fidel Castro seized power. Shirley and the entire circus was held captive by Castro’s forces for several weeks before finally being released.

In 1963, the circus traveled by ship to Nova Scotia and was docked at Yarmouth Harbor when a fire broke out in the engine room. This incident caused the ship to sink, killing two animals. Shirley was rescued, but not before sustaining severe burns on her back and legs. Today she is missing a large section of her right ear as result of the fire and has several scars on her back, side, and feet.

At the age of 27, while performing for the Lewis Brothers Circus, Shirley was attacked by another elephant. Her right hind leg was broken. It healed poorly and is the cause of her limp. After two more years performing in the circus, Shirley was sold to the Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo in Monroe, LA where she was the sole elephant for 22 years.

On July 6, 1999, Shirley became the fourth resident of The Elephant Sanctuary, joining Tarra, Jenny, and Barbara. At The Sanctuary, Shirley experienced a very loving reunion with Jenny. Research showed the two elephants had been in the same circus 23 years earlier! This memorable event is the subject of an Emmy-winning National Geographic documentary “The Urban Elephant.”

https://www.elephants.com/elephants/shirley

Old 02-19-2018, 06:14 AM

4,879 posts, read 4,630,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Thanks again Bailey, when I first read this it rang a distant bell in my head but I couldn't really put my finger on it but then as I saw her caretaker Solomon it slowly returned to me and it was finalized when Shirley was joined by Jenny...
Since the first time I saw that documentary and think of Jenny, Shirley's and Solomon, it still brings
tears to my eyes.

Little sweetie gets some help and her family is grateful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEDHRh8gfm8

Old 03-12-2018, 05:16 PM

36,439 posts, read 42,104,700 times
https://www.facebook.com/HuffPostWei...JP1TJ3DdWUu5ns

Old 03-14-2018, 12:41 PM

Think about this.
https://www.facebook.com/CenterforBi...6k1bmLQAKH0I5U

Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 PM

15,721 posts, read 9,744,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

jealous? I would be if they were hippos.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
jealous? I would be if they were hippos.
so sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature