U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

613 posts, read 158,621 times

Advertisements

I stuck my hand in the mouth of an alligator and it bit me. Fricken alligators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

14,490 posts, read 11,823,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I stuck my hand in the mouth of an alligator and it bit me. Fricken alligators.
You were going to wind up the alarm clock?

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

21,650 posts, read 14,515,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I remember reading about an incident years ago. Some guy actually walked right up to one and patted it on its mane. Witnesses said the bison kind of just tossed its head around, almost like it was shooing him away, and hooked him with one of its horns and tossed him. It didn’t even take any steps towards him from what I remember. It was a serious injury, don’t remember if he survived.

These are enormously powerful animals. They don’t necessarily need to have bad intentions to harm you. People have no clue as to the strength of large wild animals. Take a look at this one. It looks like nothing but she says at the end she suffered 4 broken ribs; and he just wanted to play.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQy_8DFizI
Lions quit playing once they're weaned. From then on, everything they do is supposed to provide lunch.

No human can ever domesticate the wild out of a wild animal. Our domesticated animals all tamed themselves as a survival strategy that worked for them.

Those that are still wild are all either predator or prey, and it's so hard-wired into them all that once out of their childhood's dependence, no human should ever trust their gentleness.

Human tolerance is totally up to the animal at all times, and they are all constantly, continually alert to all tiny signals that make them prey or predators.

Ancient humans were once as alert too, but we lost our alertness as soon as we began making tools that could kill our predators at a safe distance for ourselves. So we are blind to all those tiny signals, but none of the animals are, and for them, every motion is either threat or lunch if you aren't a member of their tribe.

That's why our dogs, the most domesticated of all our animals, still bite people. Every other domesticated critter is wilder than a dog.

Do not believe the lion in the video was playing. If he was hungry, he was looking for lunch. If he wasn't, then he was practicing for catching a lunch later on.

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 11,721,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't know why people are so careless around WILD ANIMALS. Do they think the whole world is some Disney movie? I feel bad this young girl is injured and I wish her complete and speedy recovery.

Bison gores teen taking pictures with it at Yellowstone National Park - CBS News

There was another thread in CE about a 9 yo girl that got tossed. Just tossed not gored. The grouchy bull took it easy on her. But he was just annoyed, not pi$$ed. When buffalo get pi$$ed things get ugly. Who doesn't just KNOW that? I've seen cattle, just cows not bulls, do some serious damage. Usually more than a bull will. A bull will quit, a cow wont till you're a puddle of goo. Especially if shes got a calf. I've seen them just keep bashing a hard fence trying to get to someone who escaped over it. Buffalo are worse.

Anyone who just walks into a situation in close proximity to these animals is truly missing something in their brain. Like a survival instinct. Common sense. You know, little things like that.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
There was another thread in CE about a 9 yo girl that got tossed. Just tossed not gored. The grouchy bull took it easy on her. But he was just annoyed, not pi$$ed. When buffalo get pi$$ed things get ugly. Who doesn't just KNOW that? I've seen cattle, just cows not bulls, do some serious damage. Usually more than a bull will. A bull will quit, a cow wont till you're a puddle of goo. Especially if shes got a calf. I've seen them just keep bashing a hard fence trying to get to someone who escaped over it. Buffalo are worse.

Anyone who just walks into a situation in close proximity to these animals is truly missing something in their brain. Like a survival instinct. Common sense. You know, little things like that.
Wild animals learned how to survive by protecting themselves. If one would take any cow or horse, that has enjoyed living in an open range, and then suddenly confine them in a coral or barn; you have a dangerous situation. Animals that enjoyed their freedom will want their freedom back. If you are in close proximity they can demonstrate their intolerance to their new home.

The same goes for animals in the wild. They have to have an escape route and if they feel your presence can hamper their escape; then they will eliminate that obstruction. Our perception of what is safe and their perception will be different. We had 'experts' that thought they knew their animals and paid with their lives.

I agree with your comments about cows and want to throw in that there is no 'safe' place to stand around and angry cow. Evolution taught them how to protect all their sides.

Old Today, 07:05 AM

1,873 posts, read 603,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Lions quit playing once they're weaned. From then on, everything they do is supposed to provide lunch.

No human can ever domesticate the wild out of a wild animal. Our domesticated animals all tamed themselves as a survival strategy that worked for them.

Those that are still wild are all either predator or prey, and it's so hard-wired into them all that once out of their childhood's dependence, no human should ever trust their gentleness.

Human tolerance is totally up to the animal at all times, and they are all constantly, continually alert to all tiny signals that make them prey or predators.

Ancient humans were once as alert too, but we lost our alertness as soon as we began making tools that could kill our predators at a safe distance for ourselves. So we are blind to all those tiny signals, but none of the animals are, and for them, every motion is either threat or lunch if you aren't a member of their tribe.

That's why our dogs, the most domesticated of all our animals, still bite people. Every other domesticated critter is wilder than a dog.

Do not believe the lion in the video was playing. If he was hungry, he was looking for lunch. If he wasn't, then he was practicing for catching a lunch later on.
Seriously? Animals play throughout most of their lives, just less when adults, just like humans.

Also, they were feeding him snacks the whole time, even just seconds before he leaped at her. If he wanted to harm her, she would have had more than just some broken ribs from him landing on her, she would have had serious fang and claw wounds.

Old Today, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Seriously? Animals play throughout most of their lives, just less when adults, just like humans.

Also, they were feeding him snacks the whole time, even just seconds before he leaped at her. If he wanted to harm her, she would have had more than just some broken ribs from him landing on her, she would have had serious fang and claw wounds.
It could have been her movements that were new and something the lion never encountered. It could have thought she was playing or mistaken her movements as a hostile act. Maybe he felt she was not submissive to him and just wanted to put her in her place? It is really hard to tell, but like you state; she would have more than broken ribs if it was hungry.

Old Today, 02:11 PM

1,873 posts, read 603,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It could have been her movements that were new and something the lion never encountered. It could have thought she was playing or mistaken her movements as a hostile act. Maybe he felt she was not submissive to him and just wanted to put her in her place? It is really hard to tell, but like you state; she would have more than broken ribs if it was hungry.
Agreed. Cats, of all kinds, are very attracted to movement and Iím sure it looked strange. (It looked strange to me and I knew what she was supposed to be doing. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or