Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 02:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

The comments after this story are sometimes cruel. Not everybody as access to information and images we do.

https://www.thedodo.com/man-dogs-bla...e992-142116609
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
A good many big black dogs have been named "Bear".

Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
I can see this happening. But, wow, just the same.

I retired policeman in a midwestern state told me of going on a "mad dog" call to a house. The occupants had recently returned from a Central American country and had smuggled a stray Chihuahua. They thought.

It was actually some sort of rat that objected to domestic life! They were in soooo much trouble.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I can see this happening. But, wow, just the same.

I retired policeman in a midwestern state told me of going on a "mad dog" call to a house. The occupants had recently returned from a Central American country and had smuggled a stray Chihuahua. They thought.

It was actually some sort of rat that objected to domestic life! They were in soooo much trouble.
I think that may have been a spin on the mexican sewer rat with rabies story, which was popular in the 90s: snopes.com: The Mexican Pet - kinda a fun tale.

I gotta think that the owner had a sneaking suspicion, how lucky that he was the person who bought them though? Of course it would be best if they could be released into the wild but given the situation this was the next best possible outcome. Too often we hear of exotic animals being smuggled and killed or kept in terrible conditions. In this case he was a good caretaker and did a stellar job rasing them. It was mentioned they were groomed everyday and that they were friendly to visitors. The wildlife center that has them now will benefit from all his work and can hopefully use these bears in a breeding program to restore wild populations.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:28 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
This reminds me of a Found poster I saw on the internet years ago.

The poster said:
FOUND- LOST CAT
Kind of funny looking. Has hair problems on its tail.
Gray and yellow with some stripes. Found near ----- and ----- a couple of days ago.
Not house broken. Not very friendly.

The picture showed an opossum who sure didn't look very friendly.

It cracked me up, but I can see where a kid who's never seen a possum could mistake one for a cat, especially in the middle of a big suburb. Lots of kids these days never get a chance to go out into our wild places, and that's a sad thing to me.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
How did he even catch it? He's lucky he didn't come up short two or three fingers. They're not exactly wolverines, but if you corner a wild possum, he'll fight. They're generally passive and will do their best to get away, but when you actually catch one and he has no choice but to fight, he knows how to do it.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This reminds me of a Found poster I saw on the internet years ago.

The poster said:
FOUND- LOST CAT
Kind of funny looking. Has hair problems on its tail.
Gray and yellow with some stripes. Found near ----- and ----- a couple of days ago.
Not house broken. Not very friendly.

The picture showed an opossum who sure didn't look very friendly.

It cracked me up, but I can see where a kid who's never seen a possum could mistake one for a cat, especially in the middle of a big suburb. Lots of kids these days never get a chance to go out into our wild places, and that's a sad thing to me.
I remember this in a compilation of silly and fake posters up around metropolitan and university areas. We see things like this all the time in my university community. I'm sure this was meant as a joke.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:06 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The comments after this story are sometimes cruel. Not everybody as access to information and images we do.

https://www.thedodo.com/man-dogs-bla...e992-142116609
I don't know... I can understand being surprised to learn that your potbelly piglet was actually a Berkshire, but BEARS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature