U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:03 PM

11,633 posts, read 8,149,788 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen this but a relative reported that he has. Black birds in his yard are ganging up and killing sparrows. They also cut off and take the head. He has found more than a dozen decapitated birds in his yard in Massachusetts.

The black birds are not crows but about the size of blue jays.

Why are these birds acting like isis terrorists?

Has anyone heard of this strange behaviour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 02:27 PM

2,322 posts, read 1,746,926 times
they are smart birds .. sparrows are rats with feathers .. I kill all that come close to my property ...

Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 PM

1,196 posts, read 835,474 times
While I have not personally witnessed this, my husband has seen it.

The large black birds were grackles, and one of them snapped the head off of a house sparrow and ate it.

While I can see the humor in comparing the grackles to black-clad terrorists, the grackles are motivated by hunger for the nutritious, fat-laden sparrow brain, and not by cruelty. Humankind pretty much holds the monopoly on that.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:36 PM

315 posts, read 163,562 times
A lot of birds eat other birds. Hawks, owls, falcons, crows, meadowlarks, shrikes and as you found out
grackles, and many more especially the large birds.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:48 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,680,365 times
Are they Starlings? Starlings are the jay equivalent to sparrows, they are a very invasive non-native species.

Let them have at the sparrows.

Maybe something else will come along and get the starlings.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:21 AM

11,633 posts, read 8,149,788 times
I contacted our local bird expert and he said it sounds like grackles. you guys are right. They will attack sparrows, take their heads off and sometimes eat the brains. Great, now we have to worry about Zombie birds. I suppose zombies are better than isis.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 956,772 times
But I love the sparrows!
I started crying when I saw a black bird carrying off a baby bird from its nest. The mother bird was so distraught, she went from her nest to the nearby trees calling and calling. It was not the usual bird chirp...very frantic and heartbreaking a sound. And she did that for hours and hours.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 AM

51 posts, read 68,729 times
I've witnessed this, but with crows. I was walking into an office building I service at the end of last summer. The area in which the building is located is a semi-protected natural spot. The crows, a couple dozen, often settle on the edge of the building's roof during the day, usually making a racket. This time, I did not notice the two sitting on the corner of the building as I was passing by. I was startled by something landing inches away from me and as I looked down, I saw the head of a small bird. Well, most of it. That's when I looked up an saw two crows munching on something, which I guessed was the remains of the small bird. Pretty gruesome but fascinating.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 364 times
Default Aggressive Black Bird killing Sparrow

My husband and I were walking down a block and heard a bird in distress. Ahead of us was one of these black birds with some blue in its fur flinging the sparrow like it was a leaf. When we got close the black bird dropped the sparrow. The sparrow's eye was picked out and he was gasping for breadth. He stopped breathing a few seconds later. The black bird was not afraid of us and tried to stick around to get back to the sparrow. We took it away and were horrified.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 535,008 times
Was it a blackbird or a crow? I’ve seen crows do this a lot. They especially like young birds. It’s one of the reasons you see birds so relentlessly attack crows many times. Because they will raid nests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or