U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,086 times

Advertisements

Japanese Sparrow Bee; Japanese Hornet, known as the second most lethal insect in Japan, before man. Killing within the average of 40 people a year. These monsters are around the size of your thumb and are and probably as thick as it too . They're very hostile and I've been reading about these insects ! This specific species of hornets are very interesting, as I watch a time lapsed video of them creating a nest, to attacking others and even reading how Japanese try to make them into a meal.
As I continued researching, I found a article of one man claiming he has "tamed" one. But in my perspective, all he did was just disable it. In this procedure, removing the stinger and venom sack with a pair of tweezers, then he tied a string around the hornet so it wouldn't fly away. But it still bit him every now and then. These things will try to kill you even without its main attack mechanism, therefore it is not tamed. The stings can trigger anaphylactic shock in victims who are allergic to the venom. The adults wingspan can be more than 4.5 centimetres long, with a wingspan greater than 6 centimetres.
With a whopping 1/4 inch long stinger , these things are a flying nightmare.
But they're also very interesting!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,470 times
I definetly can relate to seeing those nasty Japanese hornets..some people that have never seen one here in the USA, don't believe they even exist over here. Trust me, they do..and I live in Maryland. You were not exaggerate ting when u said they are the size of your thumb! I am so terrified of them I heard even getting stung once by them that it could literally kill you! I've also learned that they like the smell of cigarette smoke!!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 AM

7,248 posts, read 4,688,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nansta123 View Post
I definetly can relate to seeing those nasty Japanese hornets..some people that have never seen one here in the USA, don't believe they even exist over here. Trust me, they do..and I live in Maryland. You were not exaggerate ting when u said they are the size of your thumb! I am so terrified of them I heard even getting stung once by them that it could literally kill you! I've also learned that they like the smell of cigarette smoke!!
Cool. Maybe they'll all catch cancer from smoking and die.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 AM

26,913 posts, read 19,129,606 times
'thoughts?' i think they're pretty dang big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nansta123 View Post
no, they're not here, and i also live in maryland. more likely, you saw a cicada killer, which definitely are here, but are nothing to fret about - unless you happen to be a cicada.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:54 AM

14,432 posts, read 11,755,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'thoughts?' i think they're pretty dang big

no, they're not here, and i also live in maryland. more likely, you saw a cicada killer, which definitely are here, but are nothing to fret about - unless you happen to be a cicada.
I saw one article that stated that these bees are already in the US. Here is one Wikipedia link that also states they are already here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet. I quote from that article: ".....made their way to central Europe and west and east coast of the United States." Just a few months ago I found one article that listed all of the states that they have been spotted (I cannot find that link right now).

Old 08-03-2015, 02:06 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,955,377 times
Here in the deserts of Arizona, we have these nasties to contend with (tarantula hawk wasps). They pack the second worst sting in the world. Luckily they dont bother us too much, but seeing one buzzing around puts the heart racing something fierce, let me tell you! They literally paralyze tarantulas with their sting, and then lay eggs inside the tarantula, who then eat the tarantula alive as they come to life. Pretty gruesome, huh?

http://i.imgur.com/NWCGL1N.jpg

The moral of the story? Id thumb my noses at the Asian hornets. Bring em on! lol

Old 08-04-2015, 01:15 PM

53 posts, read 38,729 times
Saw a documentary about these nasties on TV and definately do not want to see them over here (US - PA)

Old 08-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Here in the deserts of Arizona, we have these nasties to contend with (tarantula hawk wasps). They pack the second worst sting in the world. Luckily they dont bother us too much, but seeing one buzzing around puts the heart racing something fierce, let me tell you! They literally paralyze tarantulas with their sting, and then lay eggs inside the tarantula, who then eat the tarantula alive as they come to life. Pretty gruesome, huh?

http://i.imgur.com/NWCGL1N.jpg

The moral of the story? Id thumb my noses at the Asian hornets. Bring em on! lol
I used to see those in new mexico, where they got named the State Insect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I saw one article that stated that these bees are already in the US. Here is one Wikipedia link that also states they are already here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet. I quote from that article: ".....made their way to central Europe and west and east coast of the United States." Just a few months ago I found one article that listed all of the states that they have been spotted (I cannot find that link right now).
that Wikipedia claim isn't sourced, though. I haven't found any credible sources for them in the US.

Quote:
$18,300 for Asian Giant Hornet and Other Invasive Vespa Species Detection and Mitigation: If the Asian Giant Hornet and other invasive vespa species are introduced into the United States, honey bee colonies would be killed at an enormous rate and the effect on crop pollination could be disastrous. Many crops and farmers depend on honey bees to improve both crop yield and quality. These hornets have also killed humans. Monitoring and surveying and having a plan in place if these hornets would be introduced will help mitigate and eradicate these invasive, deadly hornets before they become established.
USDA provides nearly $100,000 for Maryland surveys that protect*agriculture, plants from pests, diseases

Old 08-05-2015, 04:48 AM

14,432 posts, read 11,755,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that Wikipedia claim isn't sourced, though. I haven't found any credible sources for them in the US.
You could be right? With their reproductive rate I only found this one 2012 article: Deadly Asian Giant Hornet Spotted in Arlington Heights, Illinois: Not Cicada Killer Wasp | The Cardinal. I would think that there would be many reports by this time. However, with the number of containers that come into our country every day it would not surprise me if they do not eventually find their way here. This year the spotted lanternfly made it's way to PA from Asia:
The spotted lanternfly, an invasive insect species, discovered in Berks County | Reading Eagle - NEWS.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You could be right? With their reproductive rate I only found this one 2012 article: Deadly Asian Giant Hornet Spotted in Arlington Heights, Illinois: Not Cicada Killer Wasp | The Cardinal. I would think that there would be many reports by this time. However, with the number of containers that come into our country every day it would not surprise me if they do not eventually find their way here. This year the spotted lanternfly made it's way to PA from Asia:
The spotted lanternfly, an invasive insect species, discovered in Berks County | Reading Eagle - NEWS.
yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they make it here either. but I have a buddy who is an entomologist with the forest service and he assured me last night they have no verified US findings yet. who knows what they've got there in Illinois though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or