Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:23 AM

685 posts, read 718,586 times

Advertisements

Here is the article if you don't know what is going on...

Navajo Nation says it feels brunt of Colorado mine leak

There is more of an outcry for a lion over in Africa then there is over this catastrophe!! There are millions of animals and people that are going to be affected by this.I don't know why the news media is not focusing on this more. This is so wrong!!

I found an online petition to try and get the EPA held accountable for this. If you want to check it out, here is the link
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...river-colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Yes, this is a disturbing situation which is not acceptable. Should we do something about it? Of course
and people are speaking out not only about this but other environmental concerns caused by
deliberate short cuts in order to save money. Unfortunately the EPA has a limited budget due to
significant budget/spending cuts.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:36 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Let's not lose sight that the ultimate culprit is the mining company which created the toxic wastes--leaving taxpayers to clean up their mess.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:10 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Report I saw said fish seemed mostly okay. Hoping it's true.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:26 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Why doesn't Big Brother do something about it??

If the OP is naïve enough to believe that government is in business "to serve people", let alone wildlife, (s)he has some painful "un-learning" -- also called growing up -- to do.

I suspect that the hue-and-cry on thus particular incident will be bigger than usual only because the color of the water made it easier to see and because the area is familiar to the environmentally-sensitive. I live within two blocks of the North Branch of the Susquehanna River, which was stained red for several years back in the Sixties by acidic drainage from (deep) anthracite mines; today, the incident is seldom recalled. There are still several tributaries that can't sustain fish, but the authorities have to decide which would be the easiest to restore, since clean-up isn't cheap and budgets are limited.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-16-2015 at 03:56 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 07:12 AM

685 posts, read 718,586 times
I have no misconceptions about the government(not sure where you got that idea). I know it all comes down to the almighty dollar.

I was just wanting to point out that there is hardly any news coverage about stuff like this happening in the good ole' US of A. Whether its because of politics or whatever...its bull crap. I'm just sick of stuff like a week's worth of news coverage over a lion getting killed in another country and nothing is hardly said about animals and plants getting killed here in the U.S. Its so much easier to go after an individual(as in the case of that dentist hunter), then it is to go after huge businesses. People are too complacent about things that are difficult to fix.

I don't have a solution to anything. I just wanted to vent a little.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:12 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Thats like saying the rubber swimming pool owner is at fault when someone enters their back yard and slashes it open with a razor. Wasn't a problem until the EPA showed up and "accidentally" released the water. This is 100% the fault of the EPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Let's not lose sight that the ultimate culprit is the mining company which created the toxic wastes--leaving taxpayers to clean up their mess.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Unfortunately the EPA has a limited budget due to
significant budget/spending cuts.
This doesn't have anything to do with budget cuts to the EPA itself, the bulk of the funding for these projects comes from active coal mining. There is a fee applied to every ton of coal mined in this country. Those fees are used specifically for remediation and reclaiming mine scarred areas that have been abandoned and no one is responsible. It doesn't matter if it's coal, silver or whatever mine.

If anything the EPA itself is cutting into funding since it's just coal mines paying this fee.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
There is literally tens of thousands of these sites across the country and like this site can be more than 100 years old, they were created long before there was any regulations. The responsible parties are long gone.

The taxpayer is not paying for the bulk of the cleanup, your electric rates are a little higher as the cost for this falls onto active coal mining.

As far as the toxicity goes, it's all relative. The things found in that water are going to be found in the soil in your backyard, it's the concentrations that are important.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I was just wanting to point out that there is hardly any news coverage about stuff like this happening in the good ole' US of A....
There would have been plenty of it had this been a private company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature