Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's gotten into me, the last 3 months, but I've started talking to my plants in my courtyard. I'm 65, and perhaps I'm going Kookoo!

And I actually believe they hear me!

I had been talking to a branch of my Crape Myrtle every morning, as I have a desk-like structure, with a roof, in my courtyard, and this branch had all but become a friend to me, and then? My roommate, not knowing of my recent whim/obsession, went out last week and trimmed the bushes, and chopped the head off my good friend!

I was devastated! I apologized profusely to the plant, and explained why he got his head cut off, my roommate didn't know any better. And I so miss that particular branch, even though there's other branches on that plant, but it's just no the same! This branch, just the shape of it, looked almost human!

I had read, one time, that people in India worship trees, and rather than cut a tree down, to make way for a road, they'll build around it and I saw it in a picture one time. An unusual respect for trees, perhaps because they don't have a lot of trees in India. And after that, I look at trees much different, and even talk to some of them!

And how about you, do you talk to plants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
I have been known to talk to them sometimes....I have read articles that show plants respond to music and actually protest when stems etc are cut (the articles referred to "silent" screams at a pitch humans can't hear) so I try to be gentle. I do not like to garden at all or keep houseplants, but when I do have to do something with plants I apologize to them, tell them how well they're growing etc Sounds crazy, I know, but I'd rather err on the side of kindness....... BTW, I don't tell anyone I do this, lol!

Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
I talk to my plants all the time. Perhaps not at the same intensity as you do, but I definitely talk to them, tell them how lovely they are, etc. In the winter time, when my flower beds are covered in snow, I talk to the bulbs. "Sleep now, my lovelies. Sleep so that you will grow strong and beautiful in the spring." It makes me feel better about the lousy weather to think about the bulbs growing roots and slumbering so they can burst forth in a few months. Yeah, I know I sound like a major loon. Who cares? LOL

Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
One of my grannies attributed her beautiful house plants to her talking to them. Actually, it may not be far-fetched. Getting up close and talking to them probably gives them some extra doses of CO2.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 PM

126,274 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Yes I talk to my Peace Lilies and bamboo inside my home plus play music for them too.Summertime when I work in my garden I have been asked many times to whom am I talking to because all they saw was an old lady kneeling,digging,planting and chatting to the bulbs or plants.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I used to talk to my plants, but we got into an argument, the restraining order, just an ugly mess. We don't speak anymore.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:04 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't know what's gotten into me, the last 3 months, but I've started talking to my plants in my courtyard. I'm 65, and perhaps I'm going Kookoo!

And I actually believe they hear me!

I had been talking to a branch of my Crape Myrtle every morning, as I have a desk-like structure, with a roof, in my courtyard, and this branch had all but become a friend to me, and then? My roommate, not knowing of my recent whim/obsession, went out last week and trimmed the bushes, and chopped the head off my good friend!

I was devastated! I apologized profusely to the plant, and explained why he got his head cut off, my roommate didn't know any better. And I so miss that particular branch, even though there's other branches on that plant, but it's just no the same! This branch, just the shape of it, looked almost human!

I had read, one time, that people in India worship trees, and rather than cut a tree down, to make way for a road, they'll build around it and I saw it in a picture one time. An unusual respect for trees, perhaps because they don't have a lot of trees in India. And after that, I look at trees much different, and even talk to some of them!

And how about you, do you talk to plants?

Of course! Dying trees and plants grow greener when one prays for them. All living things are first and foremost spirit, encased in a physical form or shell. Plants can communicate with humans too.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ce0...20them&f=false

How Plants Communicate with Others

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-31-2015 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: See DM

Old 10-30-2015, 03:10 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I don't talk randomly to them, but if I prune I might explain why this or that stem has to go. For weeds, I might think or say "gottcha! you little bugger" or when I cut off dead pieces I say or think "there, much better, see how nice you look". It's all for fun. Of course I was taught how to prune properly and I would never go whacking away at something just because it was too big. Each cut requires a little thought.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:45 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I don't talk randomly to them, but if I prune I might explain why this or that stem has to go. For weeds, I might think or say "gottcha! you little bugger" or when I cut off dead pieces I say or think "there, much better, see how nice you look". It's all for fun. Of course I was taught how to prune properly and I would never go whacking away at something just because it was too big. Each cut requires a little thought.
I have been known to say to weeds, "I'm sorry I have to pull you out, but you don't belong here and you are using nutrients my plants need". I do feel a little bad sometimes, especially when it isn't a particularly noxious or annoying weed.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:08 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I have been known to talk to them sometimes....I have read articles that show plants respond to music and actually protest when stems etc are cut (the articles referred to "silent" screams at a pitch humans can't hear) so I try to be gentle. I do not like to garden at all or keep houseplants, but when I do have to do something with plants I apologize to them, tell them how well they're growing etc Sounds crazy, I know, but I'd rather err on the side of kindness....... BTW, I don't tell anyone I do this, lol!
You just told us!
I don't talk to them, but I think they know that I care for them from the attention I give them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature