U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 12:18 AM

4,122 posts, read 1,845,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
+1's, i always thought that mental disability meant cognitive impairment whereas with the other two, intellect wouldnt be affected ?
Sorry I didn't respond earlier! I just saw this!

Mental disability, although rarely used anymore, may refer to cognitive impairment but mental disorder refers to a "disordered mind".

It would be more common now to hear the phrase "psychiatric condition" used vs mental disorder.

Instead of "mental disability"; "Intellectual Disability" is now used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
+1, psychopath / sociopath / pathologic
Psychopath & Sociopath are considered by many to be synonymous but neither one is an actual clinical diagnosis. They are actually presentations of behavior & either one (but not both) will manifest in a person diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD).

Pathologic(al) refers to the manifestation of suffering. A "pathological liar" describes a person whose atypical behavior of lying is the manifestation of their personality disorder. When a tumor is found during surgery, it is sent to the laboratory for "pathology" to determine whether or not it has manifested from cancerous cells.

With "Psyche" defined as the ego or soul of the mind, "Psycho + path" means "the mind suffers".

"Socio" as in "society" means the "Socio + path" refers to "society suffers".

To the Psycopath, life has no finish line & we add to the thrill of the chase. They do not suffer us. We do suffer them.

In contrast; the Sociopath does suffer us... as we do them. The majority of humanity is an obstacle between them & the finish line. They consider us the same as we might consider that flat tire in morning rush hour traffic we suffered on the way to work.

I agree with those that say the Psychopath is the more severe of the two; as I would rather be on the road with an impaired driver than a blind one.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
are inertia , momentum the same thing ?
Nope. Inertia's movement maintains. Momentum's movement gains.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,989,736 times
contradiction / contingency

inverse / converse / contra-positive

Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 PM

humans who use energy and power interchangeably.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM

mace and pepper-spray:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/50312897-post20.html

Old 12-11-2017, 01:24 PM

13,353 posts, read 11,009,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Puma, Panther, jaguar and cougar are all the same, the name is different per the geographical location. Panther is usually the name used for a black version of the cat.

Male goats are Billys, male sheep is a ram. Female sheep is a ewe, not sure what a female goat is, but baby goats are kids and sheep are lambs.

Jungles indeed have trees- lots of them and they can be quite tall. A jungle is just a forest in the tropical regions.

Pond and lake is a matter of size. Sea is saltwater, not fresh water.

Crocks are smaller than alligators and have a longer and more skinny mouth.
Falcons are smaller than Hawks. Throw in Kestrals too.

....yes, read more....

Puma, cougar and mountain lion/panther are the same but jaguars are a totally different animal. Larger and more heavily muscled in addition to coloration and geographical locality. Female goats are nannies.

Raptors are classified by type usually going by wing structure. "Hawk" is a rather generic term, encompassing accipiters and buteos. Falcons are their own species, and then there are eagles, owls and buzzards/vultures. Buteos are the larger hawks, such as the red tail and Swainsons. Accipiters are goshawks, kestrels and Merlins and also the sharp shinned. Falcons in N America are the prairie and Peregrine. The osprey is a distinct sub set having a very different wing structure. They are often called fish eagles.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:34 PM

amish and quakers ?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:20 AM

anyone else get taiwan and thailand confused; i have to picture it in my mind before i say either one.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM

20,430 posts, read 20,626,425 times
Quote:
anyone else get taiwan and thailand confused; i have to picture it in my mind before i say either one.
congratulations on your own little thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or