U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:21 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,370,006 times

Advertisements

What is the best animal and environmental welfare to donate to?

Question is straightforward. I have donated to ASPCA, but I dont know how effective they are with my money. I see their trucks with kittens for people to adopt. I have called them to investigate what may have been animal cruelty, and they have indeed come out to investigate. But I wonder how much money that all really takes.

I have heard there are literally charities that only spend a very small portion of the donations they take in to actually do the charity. I have know idea what the rest of the money is being used for. I heard that about U2's Bono's charity.

Is the World Wildlife Fund or PETA good, reputable organizations? Are they worth it? Both have had criticisms in the past, but overall, are their bodies of work quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:49 AM

2,204 posts, read 1,170,517 times
IMO, the best bang for your buck would be local rescues. Do a little research for your area, then stop in to talk with the people who run it/them. When you find one you are comfortable with, you will know what to do. Every year I donate to a local bird rescue, and a dog rescue where I donate a hundred pounds of dog, and cat food. Places like these are always in dire straits due to no local, or very little government funding what so ever.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:01 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,568,813 times
I'd agree with local rescues.
Or even your county SPCA, the ASPCA and PETA are both left wing radical groups that spend more money on politics than helping animals.....

Old 03-06-2016, 09:33 AM

16,355 posts, read 10,340,678 times
I usually check charity navigator when looking for a national recipient.

But like the above posters said, my 1st preference is donate locally.

http://www.charitynavigator.org

Old 03-08-2016, 06:50 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,328,622 times
Agree with the advice to check Charity Navigator. And I also prefer to give locally, where I can see my money going to good use, and where the groups don't get a lot of funding. Local groups are also big into spay/neuter programs around here, which I support wholeheartedly. Not to say that I never give to a national organization, but most of my money stays local.

Glad someone mentioned bird rescues. We have a couple in the NJ area that do amazing work, and they do it on a shoestring. Tristate Bird is in Delaware: https://tristatebird.org/ and The Raptor Trust is in NJ The Raptor Trust. (Don't know if you are in NJ, but your user name made me think maybe you are. If not, there are probably bird rescue organizations in your neck of the woods.)

Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 AM

6,687 posts, read 8,030,951 times
Give locally.

If your interests include more than just pets, consider giving to a group which actually protects habitat for wildlife. There are numerous land conservancies (aka land trusts) across the country that are doing great work acquiring and protecting land for wildlife and people.

You can find a local land conservancy through the national Land Trust Alliance, which is an umbrella group serving most of the land conservancies in the U.S. Their web site is Land Trust Alliance | Together, conserving the places you love, and in the lower right corner of their home page you can click on "Find a Land Trust".

Guidestar.org is another good resource for finding information on charities.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:53 AM

66 posts, read 49,248 times
Farm Sanctuary rescues abused farm animals and promotes anti-cruelty legislation (not sure how that is "left-wing" as another poster claimed). They maintain two farms in NY and CA.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:38 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,596,970 times
I knew the now-deceased sponsor of Aikindale Thoroughbred Rescue, and my family has rescued some horses from them, so I can confidently vouch for them:

Akindale Thoroughbred Rescue

Otherwise, I agree with all of the other posters that it's usually best to donate to local organizations.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:33 PM

521 posts, read 965,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
IMO, the best bang for your buck would be local rescues. Do a little research for your area, then stop in to talk with the people who run it/them. When you find one you are comfortable with, you will know what to do. Every year I donate to a local bird rescue, and a dog rescue where I donate a hundred pounds of dog, and cat food. Places like these are always in dire straits due to no local, or very little government funding what so ever.
This, 110%. I have seen nationally-recognized wildlife organizations sporting fully-staffed (paid), million-dollar facilities, yet doing little or nothing for injured/orphaned wildlife.

Conversely, a local rescue organization made up exclusively of volunteers and run out of someone's basement seems to always be the "go-to" for anyone with sick, injured or orphaned animals.

I'm sure most of the the folks who work at the former-type organizations have their heart in the right place, but my guess is they're constrained by some kind of nationwide marching orders which the local groups don't have to adhere to.

I would just make sure the local rescue you choose to fund has the appropriate training and permits to perform these tasks. Otherwise, they can actually make things worse for an animal in need.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,546,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I agree about local rescues. In my case, I would donate directly to cat rescues, because they are my preferred pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or