Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
That would be true in the case of house sparrows, which as you indicated are introduced, 'old world' sparrows. There are many native species of sparrow that are not invasive and aren't a problem.
I am feeling defensive after all the anti-sparrow spew....did the wicked little wretches sprout sabre teeth in the New World perhaps? Reminds me of Reagan's war on Grenada.

These "vermin" come to the terrace outside the room where I use my computer every morning. They chirp very happily, and that makes me happy. And they enjoy racing around after each other through all the potted plants, though they never seem look for any snacks while doing this....I guess it is just tag. I leave the sliding door open, and they show no reluctance about coming in for a short stroll...their territorial aggressiveness in full play, I guess. Probably setting me up for a burglary.

I should probably arm myself with mothballs.

It has started gently raining, and one of these vermin is sitting in a flowerpot happily singing in the rain....probably thinks he's Gene Kelly. Do they get dementia, do you suppose, or have rabies?

I would go get a mothball talisman, but I am afraid to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 09:04 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Thumbs down Look up "Vermin" in the dictionary, describes sparrows to a T.

Three birds are considered to be pest birds, are not protected by federal law: the house sparrow, the pigeon, and the starling. Some of these may be cute, but cute isn't sufficient for me to give them a pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I live in an apartment and there is a balcony above my door and there is a crevice also above. There are a lot of small birds that live in there. Sometimes their nests break apart and the mess falls onto my door mat and I am afraid it might fall on me when I enter and leave the door.
That sounds annoying, and potentially hazardous; bird nests and droppings can spread any of a number of bacterial and fungal diseases to you and your puppy.

Building management should clean out and seal the crevice.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I don't think birds are laying eggs in MARCH (not February) in most parts of the USA - what part of the world are you in?
They are just getting started here in S Cal. My Hooded Orioles are back from their Mexican vacation for the winter.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
I'm more worried about getting bit by the neighbors pet dog than being harmed by sparrows.
We have them here now, they are birds, I enjoy birds of any kind. Birds are a lot more interesting than some of the 4-legged animals.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:53 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Default There's a reason house sparrows and starlings have no federal protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I'm more worried about getting bit by the neighbors pet dog than being harmed by sparrows.
We have them here now, they are birds, I enjoy birds of any kind. Birds are a lot more interesting than some of the 4-legged animals.
I have acres of forest and plenty of birds living on my property (including a family of great horned owls who love to eat sparrows).

I'm fine with birds (and most 4-legged animals) living in my woods and winging past, but when they start messing with the house, game over.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am feeling defensive after all the anti-sparrow spew....did the wicked little wretches sprout sabre teeth in the New World perhaps?

To be quite honest, I never explored the possibility of lycanthropy in them but now that you mention it...

Old 03-18-2016, 04:07 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
You first need to determine what species of bird you have. It is most likely House Sparrows, but it could be something else. If you can't identify them using a bird identification book (such as Peterson's) or an online resource such as https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/search/ , find someone who can positively identify them for you.

Whether they are nesting now depends on where you are located and the species of bird. Although all birds should be protected, and not wantonly harmed, it will be less of a concern if you'll be excluding House Sparrows. Just make sure that all of them are outside and then seal up the opening. If there's a possibility that some are inside, a temporary opening can be fashioned to allow them to go out but not go back in.

How did you learn to be afraid of birds? That's sad.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I would NEVER allow a bird's nest to be anywhere on my house, ever.

Why? Bird mites.

Bird Mite Characteristics

And sparrows ARE pest birds. They are not "cute", "funny", or even really good birds.

I'll take wrens, robins, finches, cardinals, ducks, and even those hated Canadian geese (oh, how I hate those things...they've returned already...) over sparrows.

But yeah....bird mites. Awful things.

Bird Mites

Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 AM

231 posts, read 334,632 times
I checked the pictures and these appear to sparrows. I wouldn't mind 2-4 small birds living above but there are a lot and they swoop into the nests and parts of the nests are on the ground and sticking out and it just looks gross. The birds themselves do not look gross but just a lot of them living there just scare me. I went to college where there were a lot of pigeons around the park next door and it just manifested a fear in me of birds. Plus, I got injured when Canadian geese tried to bully me (a little pathetic but true ...). I think birds individually are cute and some very pretty but not when they are multiples of them together flying right above me or coming at me.

It's March here in NJ so I don't know if it is breeding season. I guess I can't use mothballs due to my dogs and I thought about the mirror suggestion but I would have to put in above where I enter the door so if it breaks it can be dangerous. Would the fake owl work? What kind of owl statue should I get and where do they sell them?

I guess I won't destroy the nests for the fear of killing an egg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I'm not afraid that a sparrow might attack me. I have a general fear of bird being too close to me and carrying disease. I also find them interesting but that does not mean I want a bunch of them living above me where I enter and leave my place. This wasn't meant to be I hate birds thread or dogs are better than birds. Just explaining my situation ...

Old 03-20-2016, 09:20 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomnom View Post
I checked the pictures and these appear to sparrows. I wouldn't mind 2-4 small birds living above but there are a lot and they swoop into the nests and parts of the nests are on the ground and sticking out and it just looks gross. The birds themselves do not look gross but just a lot of them living there just scare me. I went to college where there were a lot of pigeons around the park next door and it just manifested a fear in me of birds. Plus, I got injured when Canadian geese tried to bully me (a little pathetic but true ...). I think birds individually are cute and some very pretty but not when they are multiples of them together flying right above me or coming at me.

It's March here in NJ so I don't know if it is breeding season. I guess I can't use mothballs due to my dogs and I thought about the mirror suggestion but I would have to put in above where I enter the door so if it breaks it can be dangerous. Would the fake owl work? What kind of owl statue should I get and where do they sell them?

I guess I won't destroy the nests for the fear of killing an egg.

Bird mites sound frightening.
Sure the fake owl will work, it will provide a nice perch for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature