U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:51 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,958,503 times

Advertisements

We retired here - I would love to live back in Jersey for the beaches, but taxes for retirees are - well, it's NJ. So here we are, with 4 acres in the woods and farmlands. It's definitely been an adventure. I don't miss the NY/NJ area and it's rushing; I love the laid-back "get to it soon" relaxed atmosphere here but sometimes........I miss one and am frustrated by the other. Then again, I'm really done with the cold and snow.

And I am learning so much that I could never have learned with even more years of college. There's such a difference in knowledge between the northeastern seaboard and the mid-south. I never knew - things I didn't know I didn't know!

Like snakes - and dilloes, and how to treat the ills of abandoned dogs/cats/horses - good grief, I used to be afraid of horses and my first dillo sighting had me running into the house! I no longer run afraid from a chicken or guinea hens or the opossum that likes to visit our porch on cold winter nights and I help the snapping turtles cross the road, stopping in the middle of our 2-lane road.

Thanks folks for more knowledge. I will take a better, longer look next time I see a squiggly thing in the tall grass and try not to let my fear take over. Oh, and we have bats - somewhere in the trees, they fly over the field at night. I wish they'd come out earlier and eat the danged wasps!

PS - NJ dude - come on down for a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:09 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,931,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
...my first dillo sighting had me running into the house!...
We had one trying to burrow under the house two years ago. I went out one night, with a flashlight, and looked into the burrow - there it was looking right at me. I threw some rocks and it finally came out, at which point I "boinged" it on the head with a shovel.

Well, I didn't know it at the time, but a startled armadillo can (and did) leap straight up about three feet in the air. This scared the daylights out of me and had me practically doing backflips to get away from this armor-coated high-jumper. Fortunately, it chose an alternate escape route and never came back after being treated in such a disrespectful manner.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:18 AM

853 posts, read 1,225,514 times
Quote:
We retired here - I would love to live back in Jersey for the beaches, but taxes for retirees are - well, it's NJ. So here we are, with 4 acres in the woods and farmlands. It's definitely been an adventure. I don't miss the NY/NJ area and it's rushing; I love the laid-back "get to it soon" relaxed atmosphere here but sometimes........I miss one and am frustrated by the other. Then again, I'm really done with the cold and snow.

And I am learning so much that I could never have learned with even more years of college. There's such a difference in knowledge between the northeastern seaboard and the mid-south. I never knew - things I didn't know I didn't know!

Like snakes - and dilloes, and how to treat the ills of abandoned dogs/cats/horses - good grief, I used to be afraid of horses and my first dillo sighting had me running into the house! I no longer run afraid from a chicken or guinea hens or the opossum that likes to visit our porch on cold winter nights and I help the snapping turtles cross the road, stopping in the middle of our 2-lane road.

Thanks folks for more knowledge. I will take a better, longer look next time I see a squiggly thing in the tall grass and try not to let my fear take over. Oh, and we have bats - somewhere in the trees, they fly over the field at night. I wish they'd come out earlier and eat the danged wasps!

PS - NJ dude - come on down for a visit.
That sounds amazing. I often think of leaving NJ for a quieter, more laid-back and friendlier place, but with family here, secure jobs, in the middle of raising kids, etc., it's hard to venture into the unknown. We've considered the Florida panhandle, NC and TN. Not sure if we'll actually make the move, just become snowbirds, or die with the dream but we'll definitely make it a point to take a trip down there.

Best wishes!!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM

When we first moved here, I felt as though I'd stepped into Mayberry and expected to see Andy Taylor walking around in the town. Then one evening during our first week, I stopped into the local DG (gossip central as it was the only place open for at least a 20 min drive) and the local 80 yr old police chief introduced himself to me. He'd seen my vehicle there repeatedly over the last several days (we needed mops and other things when we arrived) and had asked the cashiers about me! Anyway, his introduction to me was, "Hi, Ms. Annie, the police chief, just call me Little Boy. If you need anything, let me know." Everytime he saw me after that, I got a greeting and some chat about our adjustment here.

As for visiting, TN has a lot to do - although no ocean.

My brother lives in the Panhandle of FL - too hot during the summer to enjoy anything outdoors - for us.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:23 PM

2,627 posts, read 2,588,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Armadillo.

While my dictionary shows the plural as "armadillos", I believe that using the zero plural is also acceptable.
Around here, we call them Texas Speed Bumps.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 PM

5,229 posts, read 5,109,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Around here, we call them Texas Speed Bumps.

In 1962, when I was 4 years old, my family visited relatives in Magnolia, Arkansas. They took us to the recently-opened Six Flags Over Texas in Dallas. I still remember the many squashed armadillo we saw on the road.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 AM

My fears of finding a dangerous snake around here are not unfounded. Within the last 5 days, two different friends have found a cottonmouth at the edge of her pond and the other was a kingsnake (?) in her feed shed. Mind you, we have no pond (but there is one on the property across the street from us and we have no feed shed since we have no horses - although the 2 dogs we have are the size of mini-horses! Last year another friend found a rattler sunning itself on a stump behind her goat pens.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:19 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,931,015 times
Quote:
...two different friends have found a cottonmouth at the edge of her pond...
In the South, just about any snake in or near water is declared to be a "cottonmouth." However, they are often harmless water snakes.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 AM

LOL My husband says that my description of the snake I found made it sound like a boa constrictor when it was not much bigger than a worm. Mind you, his exaggerations are the opposite of mine - lol. He's been blown up (literally) so he is not afraid of anything - and sometimes that's a problem.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 AM

3,457 posts, read 2,342,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Because the diet of the garter snake is so varied and is often heavily tilted toward frogs, salamanders and invertebrates, their saliva is not specific toward mammals and birds (gives us a bit of a break). One interesting thing about garters-they can eat amphibians that a lot of snakes will stay away from, such as red-spotted newts, toads, and pickerel frogs.
On more than one occasion, I have come across a garter snake in the middle of eating a toad. Even though I really like toads, I left the snake alone, figuring he or she also eats lots of other critters I wouldn't mind having less of. One thing that struck me was how vulnerable they are while they are swallowing, which takes some time. The snakes I have seen have been right out there on the grass, not moving, while they were trying to get the toad down. I was able to stand right next to them, without them attempting to slither away. I could have easily killed them. But I didn't. Even though, like others here, I have an absolutely visceral fear reaction to snakes. I would be very happy to never have an up-close-and-personal snakey encounter again. (Especially with the 4-5 foot long racers we get!) I can admire photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or