Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 05:39 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,761,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Why not?
This was done for a full year on a island full of feral cats, and is a popular stopover for many migrating birds.

The Smithsonian and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service cat study wasn't supported evidence. These studies used inflated estimates it was their assumption that up to70 percent of owned cats are allowed to go outdoors 24/7.
When in fact, surveys suggest that approximately 60 percent of these cats are indoor-only, and that those allowed outdoors are outside for no more than three hours each day.
After checking the data thoroughly it was found that that worms and insects caught by cats were counted as wildlife.
So when you see some overblown "study" dictating that cats ruin wildlife, the wildlife was overwhelmingly bugs.

The 1.4–3.7 billion annual moralities reported by these researchers represent an astonishing 28.5–75.5 percent of the estimated 4.7 billion birds in all of North America.
If these figures were even remotely accurate, North America would have been devoid of birds long ago.
Thanks for bringing some much-needed balance to this conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 05:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,705,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Thanks for bringing some much-needed balance to this conversation.
Couldn't agree more.

The cat haters would love to make this thread their own afternoon at the park.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:14 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,735,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Couldn't agree more.

The cat haters would love to make this thread their own afternoon at the park.
Who are the cat haters? I love my two cats.
I love them enough to keep them indoors where they can't be run over by cars, killed by animals or creepy people and where they won't bother my neighbors.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:29 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,794,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I love them enough to keep them indoors where they can't be run over by cars, killed by animals or creepy people and where they won't bother my neighbors.
Spot on. Wish I could rep you again.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:54 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,377,452 times
Trap it and take it to the pound.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,236,848 times
I have had cats that were content to be, and were, indoor cats. I have had cats that wanted to go out and did go out and weren't killers. They enjoyed the sunshine and being outside, but they weren't hunters.

The cat I have now was born a feral cat and she demands to get outside. She loves to hunt. As far as I have seen, she stays right around our house, not in any neighbors' yards. When I go looking for her she's never far, usually under a bush beside or behind the house.

She does kill. I have only seen ONE bird that she has killed and she left it on the porch for me, as she usually does when she kills something. Mostly she just kills mice. I had no idea there were so many mice running around outside till she started killing them. I have seen two rabbits that she has killed, and I hate that. We have an abundance of squirrels, and I have never seen her kill a squirrel. I have had other cats who liked to go out, but none that DEMANDED to be out like she does. I think it's because she was feral and it's in her blood, but I don't know.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,218,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
ditto and

Imagine the world without songbirds - they are in trouble for a number of reasons.
'The Messenger,' a new documentary, reveals the struggles of songbirds worldwide - BirdWatching

Old 06-16-2016, 03:51 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,470,290 times
Besides cats, hawks, snakes, and cars , I've read that windfarm/windmills kill a lot of birds. Birds also get killed in storms, and by boys with BB guns. All this gets me to thinking that it must be tough to be a bird. Next time I see a pretty songbird such as a cardinal, I will enjoy the sight even more.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:46 PM

351 posts, read 284,929 times
You can spin it all you want, but humans are still the number one killer of birds.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,344,103 times
If you catch the cat in a live trap, I would think twice about taking it to the pound as the owner will just get it, and then it will come back, but it will never fall for the live trap again. what you do with the cat after trapping it is up to you, but if you dump it it will come back unless it is taking 40 miles away or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature