U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:53 AM

6,662 posts, read 8,013,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
What really kills "millions of birds each year" is loss or decrease of native habitat, which is caused by HUMANS.
Yes, birds face numerous threats which are caused by humans. Habitat loss, towers, buildings, pesticides...and CATS! Just because there are a number of causes of bird deaths does not lessen the the significance of bird deaths caused by outside domestic cats. If people don' keep their cats indoors, they shouldn't be too surprised if they happen to "disappear".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 06:25 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,677,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If people don' keep their cats indoors, they shouldn't be too surprised if they happen to "disappear".
While I agree that cats should be kept indoors, the second part of the sentence is unnecessary cruel.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 AM

6,662 posts, read 8,013,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
While I agree that cats should be kept indoors, the second part of the sentence is unnecessary cruel.
Taking them to an animal shelter is not cruel...and the birds are rid of their presence.

However, hawks can be great equalizers!

Old 05-13-2016, 07:19 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,592,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
What really kills "millions of birds each year" is loss or decrease of native habitat, which is caused by HUMANS.

Each species and subspecies of bird has adapted over hundreds of years to very specific plants and trees and the insects that are found in those plants and trees, and when those native species are removed and replaced by alien species because humans think these new trees, shrubs, flowers and grasses are "pretty", the native bird population declines.

Would you shoot your neighbor for planting alien plants and trees in their yard and thus removing habitat for native birds?

If your answer to that is no, then your answer needs to be the same regarding their cat.

I'd love to get rid of some blue jays here, because they prey on the young of other species of birds. Getting rid of that one blue jay might have increased the chances that one native bird will survive to reproduce.
Pretty sure the neighbors non-native plants aren't coming to my yard to kill the birds. The cat on the other hand can and will. I see nothing wrong with trapping it and taking it to animal control. I would give AC the name of the owner so they can get their cat back. And I'd repeat until the neighbor gets the message that his cat is not welcome on my property. Why do people see it as OK when their cat invades private property? That's why I support leash laws for cats. Some cat owners have no respect for the rights of others.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Taking them to an animal shelter is not cruel...and the birds are rid of their presence.

However, hawks can be great equalizers!
I had taken "disappear" to mean something else, given OP's context. Taking them to a shelter is not cruel at all and is the right course of action in this case.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Some cat owners have no respect for the rights of others.
Some cat owners haven't come to grips with the fact that cats (with notable exceptions like barn mousers) have been domesticated for a reason and that letting Fluffy run around outside benefits literally nobody (including Fluffy).

Old 05-13-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Some cat owners haven't come to grips with the fact that cats (with notable exceptions like barn mousers) have been domesticated for a reason and that letting Fluffy run around outside benefits literally nobody (including Fluffy).
Exactly. I'm amazed that people aren't concerned for the safety of their pet, but that's their right. Just like it's my right to take action if a roaming cat is on my property. I'm not going to buy motion activated sprinklers or put up a cat net or buy a sonic device that would also impact the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks. In other words neighbor who lets their cat roam: Your cat isn't my problem to solve, it's yours.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Exactly. I'm amazed that people aren't concerned for the safety of their pet, but that's their right. Just like it's my right to take action if a roaming cat is on my property. I'm not going to buy motion activated sprinklers or put up a cat net or buy a sonic device that would also impact the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks. In other words neighbor who lets their cat roam: Your cat isn't my problem to solve, it's yours.
Just make sure the way you take action doesn't land you in jail, that's all.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Just make sure the way you take action doesn't land you in jail, that's all.
I would never do anything illegal or harm the cat. Where I live a cat (or any domestic animal) on private property is deemed a nuisance animal. They can be legally trapped and turned in to Animal Control. This wouldn't be my first option. I'd do what the OP did and ask the neighbor nicely to keep his cat off my property. If they didn't, then I'd go to trapping. I'd also, even though it's not required, give animal control the name of the owner. I'd want them to have the opportunity to get their pet back. Hopefully one trip to AC would be enough to convince them to take their responsibility to control their pet seriously.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:15 PM

5,727 posts, read 2,312,076 times
I'll say it again. Get rid of the goddamn feeder. It's like those under passes on major highways for deer and elk, it's just a cougar feeding station. It funnels the prey to the hunter. Same with a bird feeder, it attracts the birds to a specific location and makes it easy for the cats to catch them.

The cat is doing what a cat does, it hunts. The bird is doing what it does. The PEOPLE are screwing up the balance here. In the wilderness there are no bird feeders hanging from trees.

FFS if you're going to have the feeders hang them up high from a branch or something where the cats can't easily ambush the birds. Cats can leap a great distance and can snatch birds right out of the air as they try to escape. Put the feeders up high so the birds have more time to escape or so far up the cat can't jump to snag the bird.

Don't be lazy and have them on a fence post.

People are the problem here, not the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature