U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 2,318,493 times

Advertisements

Another thing cat owners can do is put noisy collars on the cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'll say it again. Get rid of the goddamn feeder. It's like those under passes on major highways for deer and elk, it's just a cougar feeding station. It funnels the prey to the hunter. Same with a bird feeder, it attracts the birds to a specific location and makes it easy for the cats to catch them.

The cat is doing what a cat does, it hunts. The bird is doing what it does. The PEOPLE are screwing up the balance here. In the wilderness there are no bird feeders hanging from trees.

FFS if you're going to have the feeders hang them up high from a branch or something where the cats can't easily ambush the birds. Cats can leap a great distance and can snatch birds right out of the air as they try to escape. Put the feeders up high so the birds have more time to escape or so far up the cat can't jump to snag the bird.

Don't be lazy and have them on a fence post.

People are the problem here, not the cats.
I agree. People are the problem. People who refuse to take responsibility for keeping their cats off personal property. Your cat can kill as many birds as it pleases in your yard. Just not my yard. Cats are not welcome in my yard. My property, my rules. I have bird feeders in my yard. And I'll protect the birds from cats who roam into it if I have to by humanely trapping them and delivering them to Animal Control.

People are the problem not the cats. People who refuse to accept their responsibilities to their neighbors and their pets.

I like your idea about belled collars. Unfortunately, many cat owners refuse to have their roaming cats collared because they say collars pose a hazard. Amazing they're not also worried about cars, coyotes and other dangers.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:32 PM

35,484 posts, read 10,503,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789[I
[/i];44041846]I highly doubt you can do that in NJ. However if the cat has no tags, trap the cat in a box trap and take it to the local shelter. Problem solved. Cats eat birds, it's in their nature. People are responsible for where their pets tread.

Problem solved? Are you serious? First, an "animal lover" wants to shoot a cat, now this.

The poster knows whose cat is coming into the yard. No one wants to "set up" birds by filling a feeder when there are cats roaming, but the answer isn't to steal someone's pet, which is what you're suggesting, and take it to the pound. That cat is NOT a stray.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:36 PM

[quote=jackmichigan;4404382.... If people don' keep their cats indoors, they shouldn't be too surprised if they happen to "disappear".[/QUOTE]

Cats killing birds...people killing cats... most thinking people know which is worse.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:37 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The poster knows whose cat is coming into the yard. No one wants to "set up" birds by filling a feeder when there are cats roaming, but the answer isn't to steal someone's pet, which is what you're suggesting, and take it to the pound. That cat is NOT a stray.
Of course it's a stray. A stray animal is simply a domestic animal that's roaming around loose in the neighborhood. Ownership status doesn't figure into it.

And if the cat's owners won't keep the animal confined on their own property, trapping the stray cat in a humane trap and then taking it to the local animal shelter is fine. Ditto if the animal in question is a dog. (My childhood dog used to escape from our yard once a year or so, and I remember my parents bailing her out of the animal shelter on several occasions.). It's not stealing, it's merely removing a stray animal from your yard. Pets shouldn't be allowed to stray. It's dangerous to them, and it can irritate other people. Keep your pets confined to your own property!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:09 AM

To the wimp who left an anonymous rep point assuming that I'd "be ok" with a dog coming into our yard and killing our cat: one has nothing to do with the other, and there's a leash law here--for dogs.

An "outdoor cat" is not a stray. And if you think that the staff at the pound will agree with you after you bring in the neighbor's cat that you snatched because it wandered onto your property, you're deluded. They're in the business of reuniting lost pets (even unchipped cats) with their owners.

Despite the fact that we love all animals, we don't have a bird feeder; get rid of yours. Birds are adept at finding their own food.

And if you think I'm changing my mind, think again. Oh, and allow me to repeat what the 300 or so CD members who viewed this thread but didn't respond to it probably wanted to say: You're no animal lovers. Not by a long shot.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Cats killing birds...people killing cats... most thinking people know which is worse.
I think this poster already clarified this statement. "Disappear" didn't mean dead, it meant transported to Animal Control. And there's nothing wrong with that if a cat or any domestic animal is on your personal property.

The same people who think a cat should be allowed wherever it wants to go, seem to be the same people who lose their minds if a dog does the same. Their excuses is, of course, dogs are subject to leash laws. True and cats should be too. I support leash laws for cats since some owners refuse to understand that I don't want your cat on my property as much as you don't want my dog on yours. Simple concept.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
To the wimp who left an anonymous rep point assuming that I'd "be ok" with a dog coming into our yard and killing our cat: one has nothing to do with the other, and there's a leash law here--for dogs.

An "outdoor cat" is not a stray. And if you think that the staff at the pound will agree with you after you bring in the neighbor's cat that you snatched because it wandered onto your property, you're deluded. They're in the business of reuniting lost pets (even unchipped cats) with their owners.

Despite the fact that we love all animals, we don't have a bird feeder; get rid of yours. Birds are adept at finding their own food.

And if you think I'm changing my mind, think again. Oh, and allow me to repeat what the 300 or so CD members who viewed this thread but didn't respond to it probably wanted to say: You're no animal lovers. Not by a long shot.
I doubt anyone wants cats dead. They just don't want them on their property. Why should anyone change their behavior (like having bird feeders in their yards) just to accommodate someone else's pet? It makes no sense. My enjoyment of my property is not and will never be dictated by someone too lazy or irresponsible to control their own pet.

Don't care if that means Fluffy has to stay inside all the time. Or train Fluffy to walk on a leash. People have done it so their cats can enjoy being outside without making them a problem for the birds and their neighbors.

I guess I just don't understand why some people fail to understand that while you love and enjoy your (insert cat, dog, kid etc) here that doesn't mean others do and it's your responsibility to ensure your cat, dog, kid isn't on private property unless invited.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:31 AM

808 posts, read 769,153 times
Thanks for all the advice. I used to think blue jays were bullies, but I see them more as the protectors. I can tell when a hawk is in the area because the blue jays go crazy. Once saw a hawk swoop down and grab a squirrel. Half dozen blue jays went crazy and attacked the hawk, chasing it away causing it to drop the squirrel. That little squirrel was at first stunned, then went running up a tree lickety-split, it was his lucky day. The blue jays on my property make great alarms. Once heard them sounding their alarm, then saw a coyote come walking out of the woods. Nature is amazing.

I would never consider shooting a neighbor or a dog. But cats are the only animal I can think of, other than humans, that kill for fun without eating their prey. That's just not nice.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:20 AM

316 posts, read 165,798 times
Um try telling someone that owns chickens that coyotes or fox don't kill for fun when they discover every chicken is left dead in their chicken coop. Besides animals follow instinct not how nice something is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature