U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:59 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,429,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
There are thousands of invasive plants and animals in the Americas, including most Americans.

LOL! So true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:11 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,598,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Cats are predators that kill birds, no matter where they are, that is nature.

If we are going to go there, I will bet humans kill more birds than cats.....with cars, planes, electrical lines, wind mills, destruction of habitat, pollution or just because they make too much noise or poop on their car None of which are natural.
I'm sure you're right that things other than cats kill more birds. But, that's like saying you aren't going to bother fencing around your pool because more people drown in bathtubs or in the ocean. After all, people will still drown. IMO, everyone should be responsible for correcting their contribution to a problem even if it's not the entire solution. If you have a cat, keep it inside and save what birds you can.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:25 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Saw a neighbor's cat running from my feeder with a bluejay in its mouth. Not the first time. Put a letter in the neighbor's mailbox last year telling them it's not nice their cat is doing this for fun.

My question is, can I shoot this cat with my 12 gauge shotgun without getting in trouble? I live on 4 acres, so the cat would disappear.

Thanks.

PS. I love animals and have never killed anything. But cats are a menace to small birds. I could understand if the cats were hungry, but thet are not eating them. I find the birds dead and intack.
It's a person's pet. Why the **** would you think it would be okay to shoot it?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:52 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,170,983 times
Maybe ALF would like to have another cat to take care of.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:20 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,030,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Cats are predators that kill birds, no matter where they are, that is nature.

If we are going to go there, I will bet humans kill more birds than cats.....with cars, planes, electrical lines, wind mills, destruction of habitat, pollution or just because they make too much noise or poop on their car None of which are natural.
Obviously, you are a cat apologist. Domestic cats are not a part of the natural landscape. They are like other non-native exotic species which disrupt the natural order. Humans kills birds in a number of ways...including letting their cats roam outdoors. Yes, none of these deadly human-induced intrusions are natural.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:56 AM

726 posts, read 699,798 times
Well if the cat goes missing now, you'll be top of the list of suspects. If you're going to do something like that then for fox sake, keep your mouth shut.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:07 AM

3,828 posts, read 1,978,155 times
If cats are sneaking up on and grabbing "your" birds, then your bird feeder isn't high enough and it isn't protecting your birds from the cats. Is it hanging from a tree? Cats climb trees. Is it near brush or bushes where cats can hide in wait?

Old 05-15-2016, 09:18 AM

316 posts, read 165,880 times
Domestic cats are not a part of the natural landscape. They are like other non-native exotic species which disrupt the natural order. Humans kills birds in a number of ways...including letting their cats roam outdoors.

All living creatures on earth are natural to this planet's landscape including cats, earth is their home and who is anyone to say what does or doesn't belong here.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:23 AM

316 posts, read 165,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If cats are sneaking up on and grabbing "your" birds, then your bird feeder isn't high enough and it isn't protecting your birds from the cats. Is it hanging from a tree? Cats climb trees. Is it near brush or bushes where cats can hide in wait?
Hawks and grackles will also grab the birds at bird feeders, I had so many hawks killing the birds that were using the feeder I stopped putting it out.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:26 AM

3,828 posts, read 1,978,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Hawks and grackles will also grab the birds at bird feeders, I had so many hawks killing the birds that were using the feeder I stopped putting it out.
Hawks have to eat too. If not birds, then mice and fish. We can't get mad at the hawks and grackles...or even the cats who have it build into their nature to hunt and stalk prey, including birds. All we can do is protect the wild birds as best we can if we're going to feed them. You did the right thing by removing the feeder. The birds will find other sources of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature