U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 12:14 PM

6,696 posts, read 8,030,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Hawks and grackles will also grab the birds at bird feeders, I had so many hawks killing the birds that were using the feeder I stopped putting it out.
What you had was a "dual purpose" bird feeder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 03:44 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,249,632 times
I had a neighbor a few years ago, a very sweet lady. She liked to feed the birds, watch them in a few birdbaths she had in the yard..
One day a cat got ahold of a bird, the woman freaked out and called the police to report the "murder"

We had a few laughs over that later..

Old 05-15-2016, 04:12 PM

8,559 posts, read 6,148,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Cats are a part of nature, they are not man made.

If man had not "domesticated" cats by keeping them as pets, I would guess there would be a lot more cats roaming around killing birds, that's what predators do......as nature intended.

It is more in line with nature's intention for a cat to kill birds than it is for us to feed them.

That said, I do feed birds and I have moved my feeder and bird bath to make it more difficult for a cat to lay in wait unnoticed. I will deter, I will not harm or kill.

To kill a cat for being a cat and doing as nature intended is just WRONG.
Thank you, Annie. Indeed it is.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:16 PM

8,559 posts, read 6,148,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Obviously, you are a cat apologist. Domestic cats are not a part of the natural landscape. They are like other non-native exotic species which disrupt the natural order. Humans kills birds in a number of ways...including letting their cats roam outdoors. Yes, none of these deadly human-induced intrusions are natural.
Cat apologist?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:39 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,429,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Obviously, you are a cat apologist. Domestic cats are not a part of the natural landscape. They are like other non-native exotic species which disrupt the natural order. Humans kills birds in a number of ways...including letting their cats roam outdoors. Yes, none of these deadly human-induced intrusions are natural.
Neither are bird feeders or birdbaths.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:05 PM

841 posts, read 827,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Get rid of the bird feeder. Don't allow the cat to have a place to hunt the birds.

Hell no! A person has a right to enjoy the bit of wildlife there is. If someone told me to take my feeders down, I'd be pretty angry.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:20 AM

6,314 posts, read 3,576,034 times
I am homo sapiens and I have rights!

We've evolved so far from what's natural and normal in nature that I think we can all get a bit confused about what part we play in it all. How much do we interfere and how much do we step aside? And what are the results of either choice?

I saw on MSN Home Page this morning some tourists in Yellowstone put a buffalo calf in their Suburban because they thought he was cold.

I'd like to think I sometimes have "opportunities" to enjoy what little is left of wildlife. I sure do have a lot of urges to interfere. I am homo sapiens.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:56 AM

6,635 posts, read 4,598,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I am homo sapiens and I have rights!

We've evolved so far from what's natural and normal in nature that I think we can all get a bit confused about what part we play in it all. How much do we interfere and how much do we step aside? And what are the results of either choice?

I saw on MSN Home Page this morning some tourists in Yellowstone put a buffalo calf in their Suburban because they thought he was cold.

I'd like to think I sometimes have "opportunities" to enjoy what little is left of wildlife. I sure do have a lot of urges to interfere. I am homo sapiens.

Here's the thing, there are laws created by cities, counties and states that regulate behavior by domestic animals. These laws supercede natural behavior and rights for domestic animals.

For dogs, that means leash laws, registration and proof of rabies vaccination. I think we can all agree those laws keep dogs safe from disease, cars, coyotes and crazy people. They also protect people from dogs who may bite or invade their personal property and leave "presents" in their yards.

For cats, sadly there are no leash laws, but that doesn't mean cats are exempted from man made laws and control. Where I live, cats are permitted to roam, but not to be on private property. What that really means is that Animal Control won't come to your house to remove a roaming cat (like they will a roaming dog), but instead they give the property owner permission to trap roaming cats and turn them in to Animal Control. Any cat on private property is automatically deemed a "nuisance" animal. The cat can just be sitting in the sun, but if they're doing it on property that doesn't belong to you, they are subject to the nuisance animal laws.

I haven't had an issue with cats roaming in my neighborhood and so I haven't had any issue with cats killing birds in my yard. But, if I did, I would have no issue getting out my Havahart trap and a can of tuna and letting nature take it's course.

LOL over the idiots who thought the Buffalo was cold. Last I checked nature allowed for a nice shaggy coat to insulate the Buffalo.

Old 05-16-2016, 03:29 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,429,410 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Man is more of a threat to the survival of birds than cats.

How many times do we read in these forums of people buying a new home and then immediately cutting down most of the trees in the yard? "I don't like the look of the tree, I don't want to deal with leaves in the fall, the birds poop on my car/patio, the birds in that tree wake me up in the morning."?

Every time someone cuts down a tree they are destroying habitat.....the major reason for the decline in bird populations.

Developers cut down a whole woods and replace it with one token tree in the front yard of every house. Couldn't we do better?

People want great expanses of lawn with no trees to mow around, no leaves to deal with and then they whine about cats killing birds. How hypocritical can you get?

EWWW! there is a snake/opossum/raccoon in my yard! There is bird poop on my car!

What to do? Get out my trusty ole gun and kill, kill, kill, of course!

Yep, blame a "dumb" animal for destroying wildlife when in almost every case, man, the "intelligent" species chooses to destroy habitat willy-nilly rather than trying to mitigate the destruction or peacefully co-exist with wildlife.

Don't want a yard full of bushes and trees? Don't want the hassle of wildlife? Go live in an apartment complex somewhere.....surrounded by asphalt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_conservation

Quote:
According to Worldwatch Institute, many bird populations are currently declining worldwide, with 1,200 species facing extinction in the next century. The biggest cited reason surrounds habitat loss. Other threats include overhunting, accidental mortality due to structural collisions, long-line fishing bycatch, pollution, competition and predation by pet cats, oil spills and pesticide use and climate change.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-18-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,845,026 times
Don't put out birdseed that attracts the birds. Geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature