U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:32 PM

808 posts, read 768,152 times

Advertisements

Saw a neighbor's cat running from my feeder with a bluejay in its mouth. Not the first time. Put a letter in the neighbor's mailbox last year telling them it's not nice their cat is doing this for fun.

My question is, can I shoot this cat with my 12 gauge shotgun without getting in trouble? I live on 4 acres, so the cat would disappear.

Thanks.

PS. I love animals and have never killed anything. But cats are a menace to small birds. I could understand if the cats were hungry, but thet are not eating them. I find the birds dead and intack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,592,221 times
No. You can't shoot the cat nor should you want to. What you can do is trap said cat if it's on your property. Cats, while not subject to leash laws like dogs, aren't permitted to be on private property and if they are can be deemed a "nuisance" animal making them subject to trapping and turn in at your local animal shelter. Be sure to provide the shelter with your neighbors name and address so they can fetch their cat. Hopefully the inconvenience will make them see the light about letting their cat roam.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:41 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,590,104 times
Ditto. In most states, it's a felony to intentionally kill a domestic animal/pet.

I'm glad that you are trying to resolve the situation peacefully but please try to control your anger and do not kill your neighbors' cat. The cat is only doing what it has been programmed to do, by instinct. Moreover, blue jays are by no means endangered; in fact, many consider them "bully birds" because they dominate feeders and prevent other birds from eating.

Finally, there are easier ways to control the cat coming into your yard. One way is to ask your neighbors (if they do not want to confine the cat indoors) to get an invisible cat fence. Another is to install motion detector sprinkler near the feeders (though not too near). You can also plant the herb rue, which cats hate. And here is a link for a bird-friendly "yard-gard":

Yard Gard - Electronic Pest Repeller, home pest control, home, yard control, deer control, mice, rats, cat repellent | Bird-X

Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 PM

831 posts, read 652,148 times
I highly doubt you can do that in NJ. However if the cat has no tags, trap the cat in a box trap and take it to the local shelter. Problem solved. Cats eat birds, it's in their nature. People are responsible for where their pets tread.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,312,076 times
Get rid of the bird feeder. Don't allow the cat to have a place to hunt the birds.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,592,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Get rid of the bird feeder. Don't allow the cat to have a place to hunt the birds.
This doesn't solve the problem of a roaming cat killing the birds. Birds are around people's yards feeders or no. And why should the OP have to curtail feeding birds on his property just because some cat owner won't keep his cat off the property of others? I don't care if you want to let your cat roam. I do care if it's on my property. If it is, I'm within my rights to trap it and drop it at animal control. I'd rather not, but if you let your cat roam that's the risk you take.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM

6,662 posts, read 8,013,160 times
Cats kill hundreds of millions of birds each year. Cats should not be left outdoors to roam and kill wildlife.

You've already warned the neighbor, so trap the cat and take it to an animal shelter (not necessarily the closest one). I wouldn't bother telling the neighbor. Their loss is nature's gain.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 774,567 times
I can understand your frustration, we keep our cats indoors but we've lost birds to roaming neighborhood cats. Did the neighbor respond to you at all after you put the letter in their mailbox? If they are ignoring the situation please don't kill the kitty, take him to an animal shelter like others suggested.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 PM

28 posts, read 23,941 times
First, until the situation is more under control, please take down your feeders. Then, talk in person with your neighbor. Do not kill the kitty. You know, dog owners let their pets out every day and many breeds kill squirrels and rabbits. We used to have a dachshund who did this. Thank goodness a bunny-loving neighbor did not take a fancy to shooting my dog. Why is a cat any different?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,177,503 times
What really kills "millions of birds each year" is loss or decrease of native habitat, which is caused by HUMANS.

Each species and subspecies of bird has adapted over hundreds of years to very specific plants and trees and the insects that are found in those plants and trees, and when those native species are removed and replaced by alien species because humans think these new trees, shrubs, flowers and grasses are "pretty", the native bird population declines.

Would you shoot your neighbor for planting alien plants and trees in their yard and thus removing habitat for native birds?

If your answer to that is no, then your answer needs to be the same regarding their cat.

I'd love to get rid of some blue jays here, because they prey on the young of other species of birds. Getting rid of that one blue jay might have increased the chances that one native bird will survive to reproduce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature