U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,274,092 times

Advertisements

Here in Canada we expect our Police to be "community guardians " not violent warriors, armed to the teeth..

Here is one example, amongst many, of how that looks.

Video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMhU5lyt_Oo

Jim B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:49 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,990,521 times
Great example of well serving the public, and all the other small things that matter.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:40 AM

Thanks

Look for the news story about WestJet airlines flying thousand of evacuees out of Fort Mcmurray, Alberta, due to the wildfires last week, they also flew about 70 pets on one flight. The evacuation was a one hour emergency situation and many residents had to leave their pets behind. To give you an idea of the size of this evacuation, the population of Fort Mac is 88,000 people.

Link to story /

WestJet efforts to support Fort McMurray evacuation

One example of why Canadians have such a good rep around the world. Quietly getting it done, with no media hype and a lot of hard work.

Jim B.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 PM

23,435 posts, read 28,289,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Thanks

Look for the news story about WestJet airlines flying thousand of evacuees out of Fort Mcmurray, Alberta, due to the wildfires last week, they also flew about 70 pets on one flight. The evacuation was a one hour emergency situation and many residents had to leave their pets behind. To give you an idea of the size of this evacuation, the population of Fort Mac is 88,000 people.

Link to story /

One example of why Canadians have such a good rep around the world. Quietly getting it done, with no media hype and a lot of hard work.

Jim B.
But without the media, we would not know about it would we?

Mother goose 'asks' police to help untangle her gosling from string - StarTribune.com

Many in the US are donating to the fire relief process, too, including to those still trying to rescue animals.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:41 PM

521 posts, read 965,956 times
Quote:
Here in Canada we expect our Police to be "community guardians " not violent warriors, armed to the teeth..

Here is one example, amongst many, of how that looks.

Video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMhU5lyt_Oo

Jim B.

I'm curious as to which country it is where police are expected to be more like "violent warriors, armed to the teeth..." than protectors of the public?

Every law enforcement agency I've ever heard of has been focused on "serving" or "supporting" someone or something else (people, a community, the law, the court, etc.); not on being "violent" or well-armed.

Last edited by Beenaroundabit; 05-15-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 11:53 PM

14,702 posts, read 10,781,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Great example of well serving the public, and all the other small things that matter.
We're all in it together. (Loved the video.)

Quote:
Thanks

Link to story /

Jim B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
But without the media, we would not know about it would we?

Mother goose 'asks' police to help untangle her gosling from string - StarTribune.com
Not except for posts on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Many in the US are donating to the fire relief process, too, including to those still trying to rescue animal.
Yes, and even though I'm from the US, and there was a drop-down menu of where I was sending it from, I got a thank-you response as though I were a Canadian. No matter, though. It's not what's important.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 05-16-2016 at 12:04 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 12:29 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
TThere are good people and bad people of all nationalities and in all professions. I applaud these folks in Canada who have rescued so many animals as I applaud people everywhere who do the same.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 AM

14,702 posts, read 10,781,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
TThere are good people and bad people of all nationalities and in all professions. I applaud these folks in Canada who have rescued so many animals as I applaud people everywhere who do the same.
Ditto.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 AM

Beenaroundabit.

Obviously I was referring to the USA. Where Police hiring boards give extra points to ex military members, especially those who were in combat trades, you will get aggressive and unsympathetic people. Add to that the "shoot first and maybe ask questions latter " attitude ,and the result is Police who act as if they have no need to be responsive to civilian control and over sight.

In case you think I am some kind of anti gun anti police kind of guy..........I served for 30 years in the Canadian Forces, as a Military Police investigator . I can speak from personal experience and training that we do it different here. Starting with the idea that the Police are not special humans.. They are equal to the public that they serve. Being polite costs nothing, but it sure does go a long way towards more helpful relations with the people that individual Police officers interact with. If you go in with the attitude of " us versus them " it will go badly.

It works for us here in our country, your mileage may vary.

Jim B.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
Quote:
Beenaroundabit.

Obviously I was referring to the USA. Where Police hiring boards give extra points to ex military members, especially those who were in combat trades, you will get aggressive and unsympathetic people. Add to that the "shoot first and maybe ask questions latter " attitude ,and the result is Police who act as if they have no need to be responsive to civilian control and over sight.

In case you think I am some kind of anti gun anti police kind of guy..........I served for 30 years in the Canadian Forces, as a Military Police investigator . I can speak from personal experience and training that we do it different here. Starting with the idea that the Police are not special humans.. They are equal to the public that they serve. Being polite costs nothing, but it sure does go a long way towards more helpful relations with the people that individual Police officers interact with. If you go in with the attitude of " us versus them " it will go badly.

It works for us here in our country, your mileage may vary.

Jim B.
I thought this thread was about helping animals, not slamming another country. If you truly care about animals why don't you condemn those Canadians who engage in what is apparently a time-honored tradition in your country. I'm referring, of course, to the cruel and horrific slaughter of baby seals. It's disgusting when someone uses innocent animals to make political arguments.

Some of your fellow subjects are great with animals. Others are monsters. The same is true in this country and in all others.

Police are not special humans with a superior perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or