U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 AM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I've had chickens that seemed to enjoy gentle strokes along the back. Ive also heard of people catching trout by stroking or tickling them.
Oh, that's so funny! When I was a young girl I had several pet chickens which would come when I called them and they'd "nest" in my lap while I petted them.

A few years ago my family put in a pond for me for Mother's Day and I foolishly filled it with koi. Then I taught them to come when I called and they would allow me to stroke them while I fed them. I'm not sure that touching a fish is healthy for them if you plan on allowing them to live but it was a whim I had anticipating the visit of children to the yard.

Ultimately it proved to be the very death of my poor koi which became so tame that when the herons and raccoons came to visit they eagerly surfaced for dinner and play time.

I'm pretty tactile with creatures and had a friend with a tarantula which tolerated stroking. It was difficult to tell if it was grinning or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 03:35 PM

5,278 posts, read 2,999,487 times
Doesn't touch remind some animals of being attacked?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:08 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,952,173 times
The following animals I have personal experience with and they all enjoyed being stroked:

Rabbits
Rats
Ferrets
Minks
Mynah birds
Large snakes such as a 12' Indian Rock Python

Old 05-28-2016, 09:10 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,973,025 times
My cats prefer to have their faces vigorously rubbed, but they tolerate gentle stroking, which for me is a meditative experience.

The deer and coons are so tame I can hand feed them, but they don't like to be touched.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:46 AM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times
I once volunteered to feed, clean cages and help tame rabbits for a humane pet shop. In spite of my love of nearly all creatures (I did kill a fly today) those rabbits hated me. Such a surprise.

The person who was training me thought it may have something to do with me having cats and that I handled the rabbits the same way that I did with cats. She suggested never touching those particular rabbits on the back or approaching them from the back because of that feeling of being hunted that it gave them. In affirmation of Ever Black's question.

It never got any better. My work with rabbits was unsuccessful!

Old 05-28-2016, 12:31 PM

3,962 posts, read 2,034,762 times
I used to stroke a black snake that lived in the base of my mulberry tree. He liked to come out and sun himself on the branches of a nearby shrub and would allow me to stroke his back. I don't know if he "liked" it or not but he never even turned his head when I did it, much less bit me. I miss him - he would eat any small, dead animals I tossed in the trunk of the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or